What's the best Snow Sled?

Old November 22nd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default What's the best Snow Sled?

I want to get my kids a nice snow sled for this Xmas. Is there a good
one out there these days?

They've had---and destroyed---the plastic Torpedos. They're not bad.
We glue a foam pad into the bottom so I can tolerate riding down with
them.

My bro bolted skis to the bottom of one and also bolted in a plywood
sitting base with foam on it---it's SUPERFAST. Can't steer it, though.
But it's really probably the best sled I've ever seen at this point.
Maybe I should just make another one.

But I thought I'd ask... JP
Old November 22nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

PS: I wonder if it would work good to u-bolt some skis to the steel
rails of a Flexible Flyer.

The twisting front end of those sleds could maybe twist the tips of
the skis slightly.

Old xc skis or downhill? ---I think XC would work good.

--JP
Old November 24th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jonathan Scheuch

On Nov 22, 1:26 pm, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
I want to get my kids a nice snow sled for this Xmas. Is there a good
one out there these days?

They've had---and destroyed---the plastic Torpedos. They're not bad.
We glue a foam pad into the bottom so I can tolerate riding down with
them.

My bro bolted skis to the bottom of one and also bolted in a plywood
sitting base with foam on it---it's SUPERFAST. Can't steer it, though.
But it's really probably the best sled I've ever seen at this point.
Maybe I should just make another one.

But I thought I'd ask... JP

The flexible flyer is still the best sled for speed and steering.
Only problem is that the narrow runners tend to sink in deep, unpacked
snow. Also good is a tobogan, fast and great on unpacked snow. You
can apply ski wax to the bottom of the tobogan. I can fit 4 adults on
my 6ft tobogan. If the snow is deep we pack down the hill by sliding
with the tobogan and then break out the flexible flyer for speed.

Old November 25th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Flom

"Jonathan Scheuch" wrote...

The flexible flyer is still the best sled for speed and steering.
Only problem is that the narrow runners tend to sink in deep, unpacked
snow. Also good is a tobogan, fast and great on unpacked snow. You
can apply ski wax to the bottom of the tobogan. I can fit 4 adults on
my 6ft tobogan. If the snow is deep we pack down the hill by sliding
with the tobogan and then break out the flexible flyer for speed.

Oops.

http://www.sledwarehouse.com/toboggans.htm

--
JF

Old November 25th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Nov 22, 1:26 pm, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote
I want to get my kids a nice snow sled for this Xmas. Is there a good
one out there these days?

They've had---and destroyed---the plastic Torpedos. They're not bad.
We glue a foam pad into the bottom so I can tolerate riding down with
them.

My bro bolted skis to the bottom of one and also bolted in a plywood
sitting base with foam on it---it's SUPERFAST. Can't steer it, though.
But it's really probably the best sled I've ever seen at this point.
Maybe I should just make another one.

But I thought I'd ask... JP

Hey Jeff:

Check out the Christmas catalogue from Eagle River Nordic. They've
got a couple of cool retro looking sleds from Flexible Fkyer, I think.

On a related note, Bert Kleerup, the ERN proprietor, is recovering
from major abdominal surgery. For those of you who know him, we all
hope he regains his health and retains his great joi-de-vivre and
sense of humor.

The same goes for Dick Fultz of the Cross County Ski Shop, recovering
from coronary bypass surgery.

Randy Bladel

Sled Appropriate for McNamara Hut? Eric Backcountry Skiing 2 January 31st 07 01:06 AM
Sled Appropriate for Benedict Huts Trail? Eric Backcountry Skiing 0 January 6th 06 09:39 AM
Sled recommendation Jim Nordic Skiing 2 December 9th 05 11:01 PM
Sled dog training... Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 14 December 3rd 03 02:01 PM