utah skiing

Old January 29th 04, 01:58 AM
klaus

The Real Bev wrote:
How much skill is involved in running one? What I envision is a
motorcycle on a wide dirt road that sometimes slopes up and sometimes
down, which is about as easy as it's possible to get. Or maybe like
boating after you've been around the lake once. Is there more?

Depends what you're doing. High marking steep slopes takes some
skill. And a powerful sled.

-klaus

Old January 29th 04, 02:58 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:35:01 CST, "pigo"
wrote:

"klaus" wrote in message
pigo wrote:
If a 'biler is at the bottom of a slope and you cut in above him to ski,
aren't you creating a "truly dangerous condition" for him?

Yes. But it seems the backcountry self powered types are more
sensitive to that and actually know the issue. I must say the bilers
are getting better, but.... I'm just glad they're not allowed here.

Wow! That post showed up in a hurry.

Anyway, are snowmobiles not allowed around Solitude?

I don't know, but I just saw one up near the top of Brighton today.

Really, anymore, it seems that "not allowed" doesn't mean ****.

-Astro

Old January 29th 04, 04:23 AM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
How much skill is involved in running one? What I envision is a
motorcycle on a wide dirt road that sometimes slopes up and sometimes
down, which is about as easy as it's possible to get. Or maybe like
boating after you've been around the lake once. Is there more?

Depends what you're doing. High marking steep slopes takes some
skill. And a powerful sled.

OK, like hillclimbing then. Is that it aside from normal transportation
uses?

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the

Old January 29th 04, 04:32 AM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
I don't know, but I just saw one up near the top of Brighton today.

10420? That's allowed.

The worst is the annual high marking around Alta by the
employees at the end of every year. Complete with Save Us From Save
Our Canyons bumperstickers.

Really, anymore, it seems that "not allowed" doesn't mean ****.

Heh... The sheriff is really cracking down this year, At least in BCC.

-klaus

Old January 29th 04, 04:35 AM
klaus

The Real Bev wrote:
OK, like hillclimbing then.

Yes...

Is that it aside from normal transportation
uses?

Deep powder is pretty fun.

-klaus

Old January 30th 04, 01:25 AM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
OK, like hillclimbing then.

Yes...

Is that it aside from normal transportation
uses?

Deep powder is pretty fun.

Go like a bat out of hell because as soon as you stop you disappear?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old January 30th 04, 01:52 AM
klaus

The Real Bev wrote:
Deep powder is pretty fun.

Go like a bat out of hell because as soon as you stop you disappear?

Not really. The new sleds are pretty impressive with 2" paddles on the
track. They can go pretty slow and actually errr.. go pretty
slow. Think face-shot.

-klaus

Old February 5th 04, 03:48 PM
Mark T. Mueller

Just got back from PC last night. The grooming at PC really has improved
dramatically...

My GF had a lesson, and I spoke with the instructor (Nusrat), he said they
had a new manager for grooming ops, and he was really paying attention to
what the majority of paying customers were asking for...

If you don't like groomed terrain, McConkey's and Jupiter were quite nice
earlier in the week... I hadn't ski'd PMCR in many years, but I actually
found it to be much improved.

The new area at DV is the "Empire" section. That had some really great
softer bumps with basic black steepness. You can traverse/hike over to a new
mid-section with some more extreme pitch.

All in all, in the years that have lapsed since my last visit, both DV and
PMCR have improved beyond my modest expectations, and I would ski there
again.

"BoftheW" wrote in message
In article , pigo says...

snip//

Deer Valley has the best grooming, probably in
the entire world, if not the universe :-). Real
experts don't go there. I would have never skied
it except a friend of mine has a relative there who
is a realtor. So he took us around. Let me tell ya,
it's a nice place. I know we all like to spend big
money on lift tickets elsewhere, but you get your
money's worth at DV. No steeps. If one of the
lines is off in the groomed corduroy, complain :-).
Seriously though, if you don't care about hitting
the big steeps, this place is nice. A new area is
added with steeper terrain which we did not get
to.

Pigo might not believe this, but this year, PCMR has upgraded their

grooming to
the point that it is equivalent to DV's. I ski both and I swear, the

grooming
has been unbelievable this year. After years of sloppy grooming, maybe

they
finally figured out that no grooming at all is better than crappy

grooming. I
also heard something about 50 runs groomed every night (not confirmed

since I
haven't counted). Only difference is that boarders are allowed at PCMR and

they
do screw things up by the afternoon (if you believe that boarders are to

blame).

BoftheW

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
March Skiing in Utah Chris Alpine Skiing 16 January 24th 04 03:53 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM