Jay and Burke in trouble?

Old April 15th 16, 12:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Jay and Burke in trouble?

The FEC accused Bill Stenger and Ariel Quiros, the money behind Jay Peak and Burke Mt (and the new hotels at each resort) of looting investor funds --

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...urke/82520068/

There have been stories in the news about investors not pleased by the way Stenger has been treating them. This year the new Q Burke hotel is finished, but the prime contractor is blocking occupancy until he is paid up.

Old April 16th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 5:06:07 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
The FEC accused Bill Stenger and Ariel Quiros, the money behind Jay Peak and Burke Mt (and the new hotels at each resort) of looting investor funds --

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...urke/82520068/

There have been stories in the news about investors not pleased by the way Stenger has been treating them. This year the new Q Burke hotel is finished, but the prime contractor is blocking occupancy until he is paid up.

More news --

http://digital.vpr.net/post/alleged-...-know#stream/0

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ne...i-scheme-fraud

http://vtdigger.org/eb5-an-investigation/

Old April 16th 16, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 4/14/16 5:06 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
The FEC accused Bill Stenger and Ariel Quiros, the money behind Jay Peak and Burke Mt (and the new hotels at each resort) of looting investor funds --

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...urke/82520068/

There have been stories in the news about investors not pleased by the way Stenger has been treating them. This year the new Q Burke hotel is finished, but the prime contractor is blocking occupancy until he is paid up.

Aside: I haven't heard news about Mammoth Lakes' fiscal issues in quite
awhile. There seems to be some of this local and state blind wishing in
this case as well.
Old April 16th 16, 11:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 04/16/2016 12:11 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/14/16 5:06 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
The FEC accused Bill Stenger and Ariel Quiros, the money behind Jay Peak and Burke Mt (and the new hotels at each resort) of looting investor funds --

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...urke/82520068/

There have been stories in the news about investors not pleased by the way Stenger has been treating them. This year the new Q Burke hotel is finished, but the prime contractor is blocking occupancy until he is paid up.

Aside: I haven't heard news about Mammoth Lakes' fiscal issues in quite
awhile. There seems to be some of this local and state blind wishing in
this case as well.

They're doing a bit of economizing at Big Bear. Less careful grooming,
opening at 9:00, with some lifts opening only at 9:30 or 10:00. They
moved some of the offices around and now offer a professional
phototography service in that little hut where visiter services used to
be. Ski Patrol is up a few flights to the right in the direction of
Chair 2. The grooming is the most annoying. It's like they only chew
up the top inch and if that's not good enough we can pound sand.

It's still the best crap game in town, but even so...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We're so far beyond ****ed we couldn't even catch a bus
Old April 23rd 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Things that were working -- a new golf course, rebuilt hotel, indoor/outdoor water park and ice rink, all at the base of Jay Peak. Also, both ski areas seemed to be surviving despite a tough winter.

Warning signs:
--investor complaints that they were misled about the nature of their investments, when equity shares were converted to unsecured loans (the state financial investigators eventually approved the change)
-- failure to obtain permits to convert the old Bogner ski-wear factory in Newport to a bio-chem facility operated by a Korean company
-- disputes between the new Q-Burke manager (Quiros' son) and locals, including a ski-oriented private high school and a mountain-biking club with whom Burke has worked for years
-- A business block in Newport that was torn down to its cellar holes over a year ago, with promises of retail, hotel, and office space to follow -
https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Bos...vermont11A.jpg
http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/s...nt?oid=2791076
-- The failure to make the final payments to the construction contractor for the new Q-Burke hotel

Old April 26th 16, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

And more bad news - the receiver says there is not enough money in the bank to stay open over the off-season.

The resort is faced with a "daily barrage of demands for payment" from hundreds of vendors - from soda distributors to Internet providers - who are owed money.

The 52-year-old gondola system must be repaired and the price tag for that expense is $4.1 million. Half of the payment would be due in the next four months

http://vtdigger.org/2016/04/26/goldb...nancials-dire/

Old May 17th 16, 02:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Burke Mountain Academy, the private high school near the base of Burke Mt ski area, is apparently confident that Burke will re-open next season. They have announced plans to build an indoor training facility on their campus.

http://burkemtnacademy.org/burke-mou...ning-facility/

Old May 17th 16, 02:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 5/17/16 7:11 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
Burke Mountain Academy, the private high school near the base of Burke Mt ski area, is apparently confident that Burke will re-open next season. They have announced plans to build an indoor training facility on their campus.

http://burkemtnacademy.org/burke-mou...ning-facility/

Used to be a school would have a gym, and maybe a weight room; now it's
got to be an "indoor training facility" undoubtedly maintained by a
custodial engineer.
Old May 18th 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:45:40 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/17/16 7:11 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
Burke Mountain Academy, the private high school near the base of Burke Mt ski area, is apparently confident that Burke will re-open next season. They have announced plans to build an indoor training facility on their campus.

http://burkemtnacademy.org/burke-mou...ning-facility/

Used to be a school would have a gym, and maybe a weight room; now it's
got to be an "indoor training facility" undoubtedly maintained by a
custodial engineer.

When I was in high school, we had Gym twice a week. When I went to college, it was Phys Ed. My kids in high school took Exercise Science.

My official college transcript from SDSU shows a 1-hour A for Beginning Volleyball, a course I never took. I assume it was incorrectly assigned to my record - that was in the days when computers were just starting to mess up our lives. I hope some kid didn't have trouble graduating because he was missing that credit.

My second son, who played D1 soccer at UC Davis for 4 years, spent 20-30 hours of effort every week in the Fall Quarter (and for a month before classes started) for which he got one 3-hour Varsity Sport credit his Freshman year (he got an A). He also got an A in a 1-hour class in NCAA regulations, and in the Winter Quarter got an A in Indoor Soccer (taught by his Varsity Coach).

Getting back to ob-skiing, when I was a student at Littleton (NH) High School, the off-season training regimen for members of the Ski Team was football in the fall and baseball in the spring.
Old May 18th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/17/2016 08:39 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:45:40 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/17/16 7:11 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
Burke Mountain Academy, the private high school near the base of
Burke Mt ski area, is apparently confident that Burke will
re-open next season. They have announced plans to build an
indoor training facility on their campus.

http://burkemtnacademy.org/burke-mou...ning-facility/

Used to be a school would have a gym, and maybe a weight room; now
it's got to be an "indoor training facility" undoubtedly maintained
by a custodial engineer.

When I was in high school, we had Gym twice a week. When I went to
college, it was Phys Ed. My kids in high school took Exercise
Science.

Gym 1 hour every day, which meant a lot of changing clothes, standing
around, doing some sport for 15 minutes, showering (REQUIRED for the
girls, not for the boys), changing clothes and going to class. We also
had to wash AND IRON our gym clothes every week. The boys wore the same
filthy clothes for the entire year if they were fastidious, the entire
four years for the rest.

My official college transcript from SDSU shows a 1-hour A for
Beginning Volleyball, a course I never took. I assume it was
incorrectly assigned to my record - that was in the days when
computers were just starting to mess up our lives. I hope some kid
didn't have trouble graduating because he was missing that credit.

3 hours/week required in JC. I took ballroom dancing to avoid having to
change clothes.

We were also required to try out for Rose Queen or get an F for the
[required] course, even Mary C who weighed 350 pounds. Cruel.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If the Eskimos have a thousand different words for "snow," does this