Best cartop cargo carrier?

Old December 23rd 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

Default Best cartop cargo carrier?

I got a nice new 2014 Forester a couple months ago, and now see I am
going to need a cargo box if I intend to carry both people and a lot of
skis. I am brand new to the cargo box and would appreciate any comments
on experiences and advice! Looks like major contenders are Skybox and Thule.

What gotchas do I need to watch out for?
Any really thin ones that might still let my car fit in the garage with
box attached?
Thanks,
gr
Old December 23rd 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

gr wrote:
I got a nice new 2014 Forester a couple months ago, and now see I am
going to need a cargo box if I intend to carry both people and a lot of
skis. I am brand new to the cargo box and would appreciate any comments
on experiences and advice! Looks like major contenders are Skybox and
Thule.

I've had a couple of Thules, just moved the big box from the (10 year)
old car to the new so that we could get all our stuff up to Rauland for
our traditional xc Christmas/New Year vacation/celebration.

What gotchas do I need to watch out for?
Any really thin ones that might still let my car fit in the garage with
box attached?

I borrowed a bunch of garage jacks and lifted my garage up about 10
inches (25 cm), putting a one-high cinder block foundation underneath
the wooden construction.

After replacing the garage door this has allowed me to drive in with the
ski box on! :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old December 23rd 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 14:29:56 -0500
gr wrote:

I got a nice new 2014 Forester a couple months ago, and now see I am
going to need a cargo box if I intend to carry both people and a lot
of skis. I am brand new to the cargo box and would appreciate any
comments on experiences and advice! Looks like major contenders are
Skybox and Thule.

What gotchas do I need to watch out for?
Any really thin ones that might still let my car fit in the garage
with box attached?
Thanks,
gr

Don't know how many people you plan to carry, but I've been able to
carry 2-3 comfortably in my '99 Outback with the ski bags inside
diagonally to behind the drivers left shoulder. I take out the left
back headrest. It can be done even more comfortably down the right
side, if the passengers on that side don't mind maneuvering a bit to get
in and out.

Gene