Does Combi skiing work very well?

Old January 22nd 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Does Combi skiing work very well?

My bro often puts kickwax on his skate skis so he can both skate and
kick on our often narrow homestyle trails around here. His method seems
to work fairly OK. But he often flounders on uphills. Still, he can get
in some kick-DP when it gets too narrow to skate.

I'm wondering if actual Combi skis would work better. Or maybe classic
skis with just a little kick wax work better as skate skis than skaters
work as classic (no wax pocket?).

Any tricks? Reports?

Thanks, JP

Old January 23rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

My thinking is that a classic ski skates better than a skate ski works for
classic.
I doubt that there are any good combi skis these days. At least I haven't
heard of any.
Years ago I and many other skiers used a Peltonen Combi ski that was gray
and blue. I did a bunch of marathons with them and thought that they were
good even if the base wasn't the most porous. I think that these were
popular with Ski-O folks too.

I look forward to following this thread as I'd be interested in a good combi
ski.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where we've had two days of snow totaling .25 inches.

oups.com...

Old January 23rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kskier

The answer to your question,,,,,,,,,,,is NO,,,,,,,combi skis do not
work,,that is why nobody sells them anymore. If you are going to do
classic, and skate,,you are better off investing in a pair for
classic,,,,,,,,,,,and a pair for skate, The reason your brother
flounders up the hill,,,,is the kick wax he put on his skate skis, is
holding back his glide, if not stopping it all together,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old January 23rd 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Marsh Jones

Jeff, back in the stone ages before I actually had skate skis and we
both posted on r.b.r as active riders, I occasionally would try to do
both by just putting kick wax on the outside flat of my 'classic' skis
(no diff anyhow). I wouldn't say it worked great, but it would suffice
for hacking around the golf course.
Striding yesterday, I was demoing skate for a couple of friends on my
classic skis. If your wax isn't too thick, it works OK. Not as good as
a skate ski, but a whole lot better glide than a skate ski w/kickwax.
Besides, do you really want to scuff up the base on a skate ski enough
to hold wax?

Marsh

Old January 23rd 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mitch

Gary Jacobson wrote:

I doubt that there are any good combi skis these days. At least I haven't
heard of any.

Same here.

Years ago I and many other skiers used a Peltonen Combi ski that was gray
and blue. I did a bunch of marathons with them and thought that they were
good even if the base wasn't the most porous. I think that these were
popular with Ski-O folks too.

Are you referring to the old Peltonen Quasar combi ski? We somehow
stumbled
onto these up at High Peaks in Lake Placid and found them to be quite
useful
for some ski-O meets. I had a pair of the gray ones and then replaced
them with
the newer yellow ones, which are still in my rock ski collection.
Probably going to
use them tomorrow in fact.

I remember one particularly strange race where I took 2nd place in the
NY State
Ski-O Champs on these skis. There was a big dump of snow the night
before
the race and no grooming. However the park roads running up the middle
of the
area were plowed but still covered with hard snow, so quite skatable.
It was a
beautiful blue hard-wax day, so I waxed up the kick section with
several layers
of swix extra blue and headed for the start. At the gun the pack
sprinted down
the road in an all-out skate for a mile or so until turning left onto
the first untracked
trail. I was just barely hanging onto the rear of the lead pack. Into
the woods
for the first couple of controls and then a long leg to another section
of the map
for #3. I didn't like the way the leaders went on that one, looked
like many fewer
contour lines to climb by taking a different route that crossed the
road earlier.
So I cut off by myself across the road and had to break trail by myself
all the
way to the control. But I still managed to get there first by a couple
minutes!
It was a long course that day and eventually 2 of the leaders from the
pack
caught me back up. The 3 of us duked it out for quite a while until
one made
a tactical error and left the other 2 of us to sprint it out for the
win. That was
a really fun race and the combi skis were just about perfect for the
deep, soft
snow, where a high wax pocket just makes it that much harder to get a
good
classic kick.

That said, it's actually rare these days to race ski-O like that. Most
days you
just make up your mind before you go out whether you're going to ski
classic
or skate/DP and stick with you choice. The choice is mostly determined
by
terrain, snow/grooming/trail conditions, fitness level, and your
confidence (or
lack thereof) in your ability to climb hills without kick wax,
regardless of track
width.

-Mitch

Old January 23rd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

Anyone remember the Kneissel ski that had an internal cable that you could
adjust ski camber with by fiddling with cable tension?
This was pre- skate, but it might have made a good combi ski. That ski was
paired with Trek spring loaded poles. You know- energy return theory (or
should I say farce).

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

. ..

Old January 4th 11, 06:46 PM
maro maro is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jacobson View Post

wrote:
My bro often puts kickwax on his skate skis so he can both skate and
kick on our often narrow homestyle trails around here. His method seems
to work fairly OK. But he often flounders on uphills. Still, he can get
in some kick-DP when it gets too narrow to skate.

I'm wondering if actual Combi skis would work better. Or maybe classic
skis with just a little kick wax work better as skate skis than skaters
work as classic (no wax pocket?).

Any tricks? Reports?

Thanks, JP

left and right combi ski

i got a pair of combiski's
fischer base 700.
The ski has fish scales but there is a small smooth arera which you can have inside or outside
please tell me at wich side i use the smooth area.

thank maro

VO2max versus technique: bicycling vs skiing Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 September 29th 06 06:49 PM
"Tourists discover skiing splendor in the Mideast" [email protected] Alpine Skiing 0 April 5th 06 03:34 PM
How to keep people skiing in the spring Comcast Nordic Skiing 33 April 25th 05 03:18 PM
Skiing to work B Paton Nordic Skiing 1 March 8th 05 09:13 AM
Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM