Binding Remounting question?

Old April 21st 04, 12:45 PM
New One

Default Binding Remounting question?

Hi Group,

I bought a used pair of bandit x skis that have a binding on them (marker
1200 piston something) and i want to put my Rossi (Look) binding on them
instead. How many times can you remount bindings on a ski? what happens to
the holes in the ski from the first binding mount? Looking for info.

thanks for the help

regards

Paul

Old April 21st 04, 02:05 PM
Walt

New One wrote:

I bought a used pair of bandit x skis that have a binding on them (marker
1200 piston something) and i want to put my Rossi (Look) binding on them
instead.

Why go to all that trouble to mount a lesser performing binding? The
Marker 1200 piston is no slouch, you know. I'd leave things as they
are, have the bindings adjusted and tested by a qualified shop, and just
go skiing.

How many times can you remount bindings on a ski?

Until there are so many holes that the ski is so weak that it breaks.
Assuming that the holes are not too close together you can put in a lot
of holes before really weakening the ski. I wouldn't start to worry
until you need both hands to count the remounts.

what happens to the holes in the ski from the first binding mount?

Ideally they get filled in with appropriate material (i.e. epoxy) to
keep moisture out of the core. If that's not done right, one remounting
is too many.

Looking for info.

Don't do it yourself. Take it to a qualified technician.

--
//-Walt
//
Old April 21st 04, 05:08 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

New One wrote:

I bought a used pair of bandit x skis that have a binding on them (marker
1200 piston something) and i want to put my Rossi (Look) binding on them
instead.

Why go to all that trouble to mount a lesser performing binding? The
Marker 1200 piston is no slouch, you know. I'd leave things as they
are, have the bindings adjusted and tested by a qualified shop, and just
go skiing.

One possible valid reason would be if the current bindings have to be
remounted to fit a different boot sole length; then the new holes might
be too close to the old holes, weakening the skis. In that case a
different binding with different hole patterns might be the way to go.
However, you are correct; the best solution would be if the current
bindings can be adjusted. Any decent skier can adapt to being a cm or so
fore or aft of the factory indicated position on the skis.

I agree on the bindings - IMO the Markers would be preferred to the
Rossis all else being equal.
Old April 21st 04, 09:20 PM
New One

Thanks you both for the info. exactly what i needed. Only thing is, why do
you guys feel the marker (1200) is a better binding than the rossi/look p10?
I am an expert skier on bumps and crud. will i be able to tell a difference
between the two immediately?

thanks

Paul

Old April 21st 04, 09:55 PM
Walt

New One wrote:

Thanks you both for the info. exactly what i needed. Only thing is, why do
you guys feel the marker (1200) is a better binding than the rossi/look p10?

In testing over the years Marker has shown the most consistent
predictable release characticistics. This is due mainly to their
cam-based release mechanism as opposed to the spring-based release
mechanism you see on other brands. Marker also has the best
Anti-Friction device going.

Note that this is somewhat of a religious issue and that others will
differ.

I am an expert skier on bumps and crud. will i be able to tell a difference
between the two immediately?

Probably not. Which is why I'd leave the Markers.

BTW, for all my pro-Marker rantings, the newest addition to the quiver
has Look p10 bindings on them. The jury is still out since I haven't
managed to pop a binding yet.

--
//-Walt
//
Old April 21st 04, 10:32 PM
lal_truckee

New One wrote:
Thanks you both for the info. exactly what i needed. Only thing is, why do
you guys feel the marker (1200) is a better binding than the rossi/look p10?
I am an expert skier on bumps and crud. will i be able to tell a difference
between the two immediately?

Maybe, maybe not. The Look turntables traditionally had more "return to
center" so you could start to release and if the force was removed the
binding would pull the boot back to position; Markers traditionally
retained you locked in position untill release force was exceeded and
bingo you were out - no "return to center" at all. Current Look
turntables have a different toe and I haven't skied the new version, so
I don't know if it's still true for today's version. Another difference
was the Look shorter turntable mounting allowed rounder ski flex; I
don't know if you will feel that, or even like it if you did feel it -
some do some don't. A third difference isn't immediate - old Markers
lasted longer and broke less than old Looks (although I had only a
couple of Look TT failures in many years of Look TT skiing.) It might
still be true but we won't know for years. Also I think the P10 is Din
3-10 and the 1200 is Din 3-12; probably you will not ski at the higher
Din, unless you get on extreme steeps where release cannot be allowed or
you race, so it probably won't matter.

All my current skis are mounted with Markers: except for Fritschi
Freerides on the backcountry skis, and Salomons on both pairs of DH
racing skis. Occasionally I take out a semi-retired pair still mounted
with old style Look turntables.

Old April 21st 04, 10:39 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

New One wrote:

[...]

You are drummed out of the club; badges of honor ripped from your
heaving chest; you're ski bases are gouged by burning brands; and all
your mates have turned their backs on you. But really, no one cares ...
Old April 22nd 04, 03:09 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:

BTW, for all my pro-Marker rantings, the newest addition to the quiver
has Look p10 bindings on them. The jury is still out since I haven't
managed to pop a binding yet.

You are drummed out of the club; badges of honor ripped from your
heaving chest; you're ski bases are gouged by burning brands; and all
your mates have turned their backs on you. But really, no one cares ...

Fortunately, I don't look anything like Chuck Conners.

--
//-Walt
//

Used ski advice, ski binding question Patrick G. Bridges Alpine Skiing 0 March 10th 04 10:04 AM
Newbie Binding Setup Question Joe Blanchard Snowboarding 2 February 26th 04 07:57 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner Alpine Skiing 1 February 22nd 04 07:42 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner General 0 February 22nd 04 01:45 PM
Pilot binding system -- what's the point? Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 August 14th 03 03:28 PM