Jay and Burke in trouble?

Old May 18th 16, 04:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Jay and Burke in trouble?

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 9:06:17 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 05/17/2016 08:39 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:45:40 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/17/16 7:11 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
Burke Mountain Academy, the private high school near the base of
Burke Mt ski area, is apparently confident that Burke will
re-open next season. They have announced plans to build an
indoor training facility on their campus.

http://burkemtnacademy.org/burke-mou...ning-facility/

Used to be a school would have a gym, and maybe a weight room; now
it's got to be an "indoor training facility" undoubtedly maintained
by a custodial engineer.

When I was in high school, we had Gym twice a week. When I went to
college, it was Phys Ed. My kids in high school took Exercise
Science.

Gym 1 hour every day, which meant a lot of changing clothes, standing
around, doing some sport for 15 minutes, showering (REQUIRED for the
girls, not for the boys), changing clothes and going to class. We also
had to wash AND IRON our gym clothes every week. The boys wore the same
filthy clothes for the entire year if they were fastidious, the entire
four years for the rest.

My official college transcript from SDSU shows a 1-hour A for
Beginning Volleyball, a course I never took. I assume it was
incorrectly assigned to my record - that was in the days when
computers were just starting to mess up our lives. I hope some kid
didn't have trouble graduating because he was missing that credit.

3 hours/week required in JC. I took ballroom dancing to avoid having to
change clothes.

We were also required to try out for Rose Queen or get an F for the
[required] course, even Mary C who weighed 350 pounds. Cruel.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If the Eskimos have a thousand different words for "snow," does this

Pasadena CC?

Did the boys have to try out for Rose Parade horse dropping sweeper?
Old May 18th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/17/2016 09:12 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Yup. Much like high school (the Chem and French classes I took repeated
the same stuff) except you could smoke outside.

Did the boys have to try out for Rose Parade horse dropping sweeper?

Nope. I don't think they had those then. The guys had to take PE too,
though. This was free then, BTW. I think we had to buy a student body
card and accident insurance, both of which were a mere pittance. Books,
of course, cost a lot and the bookstore was really cheesy about buying
and selling used books.

Last time I went to the parade the sheriffs rode by on horseback at
maybe 6am, one of whose horses dropped a steaming pile right in front of
us. Later on, just as it had sort of glazed over and the stink
lessened, along came a marching band who plowed through the pile giving
us a fresh new experience. Never saw any pooper scoopers. Maybe the
*******s were on strike.

--
Cheers, Bev
"There's an apocryphal (I hope not !) story about a Bristol bike
Old August 26th 16, 07:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 5:06:07 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
The FEC accused Bill Stenger and Ariel Quiros, the money behind Jay Peak and Burke Mt (and the new hotels at each resort) of looting investor funds --

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...urke/82520068/

There have been stories in the news about investors not pleased by the way Stenger has been treating them. This year the new Q Burke hotel is finished, but the prime contractor is blocking occupancy until he is paid up.

After the scandals surfaced at Jay and Burke, the Vermont Stae office responsible for reviewing applications for EB5 projects ha gotten really careful about reviewing applications. As a result, a backlog of paperwork is building up that threatens other EB5 projects in the state, such as at Mt Snow --

http://vtdigger.org/2016/08/24/eb-5-...ny-stock-sale/

Old August 30th 16, 11:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Perhaps appropriately and inadvertently honoring Gene Wilder's role in The Producers, one of the alleged EB5 frauds pulled off at Jay Peak was selling the construction of the new Hotel Jay in the base area, and then selling the 5th floor suites again to another group of investors after the initial investment came up short. This was disclosed during auditors' examination of the Jay and Burke books.

Meanwhile, over at Burke, the big new base lodge/hotel that was the center of one of the crises before the feds took over (the proprietors were behind in paying the contractor, so he refused to certify the work was finished), will have a big opening party next weekend.

Old September 6th 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Jay Peak photos of the day -- trail crew found remnants of 1968 plane crash.

https://www.facebook.com/JayPeakFan/...type=3&theater

They say it is Valhalla, a trail they didn't have in 1968.

Further research is indicated.
Old September 6th 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 12:52:09 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
Jay Peak photos of the day -- trail crew found remnants of 1968 plane crash.

https://www.facebook.com/JayPeakFan/...type=3&theater

They say it is Valhalla, a trail they didn't have in 1968.

Further research is indicated.

Local newspaper --

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,4671760&hl=en
Old September 7th 16, 08:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

They added another theory - the wreckage is a 1943 RCAF flight lost in a snowstorm. 1 dead, 3 injured.
Old September 8th 16, 03:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

It struck me overnight that it is unusual that one ski area is the home of two airplane crashes, but Jay does stick up well above the surrounding terrain, so like moths to a flame applies, I guess.

I have been to the site of two other "famous" crashes in the mountains. One was the WW2 bomber wreckage near the top of Camel's Hump - my mother had a small piece of that plane in her stamp collection, but I don't know where it wandered off to. The other is the airplane monument on Mt. Cuyamaca, where the engine block of the crashed plane has been set in concrete.

I also remember the day at Mammoth when we were looking down from the top ridge on a Navy F-8 that was circling the peak for a close-up view. My unwarranted assumption was that the pilot was flying from China Lake NAS and was a skier.

Old September 10th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:05:16 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
It struck me overnight that it is unusual that one ski area is the home of two airplane crashes, but Jay does stick up well above the surrounding terrain, so like moths to a flame applies, I guess.

I have been to the site of two other "famous" crashes in the mountains. One was the WW2 bomber wreckage near the top of Camel's Hump - my mother had a small piece of that plane in her stamp collection, but I don't know where it wandered off to. The other is the airplane monument on Mt. Cuyamaca, where the engine block of the crashed plane has been set in concrete.

I also remember the day at Mammoth when we were looking down from the top ridge on a Navy F-8 that was circling the peak for a close-up view. My unwarranted assumption was that the pilot was flying from China Lake NAS and was a skier.

I was at a Thunderbirds show at Hill AFB in the early 80's when one of them crashed killing the pilot. Very sad.
Old September 11th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

The Blue Angels appearances at the annual air shows at Pt Mugu and Miramar were always a break in routine - even 20-year men would stop and watch the maneuvers. In 1978, a couple of years after I got out of the Navy and while I was working just a mile or so south or Miramar one of the jets crashed during arrival maneuvers - the pilot was performing a low-altitude slow roll close to the runway and misjudged his position. The plane was destroyed in a fireball and the pilot killed.

The show went on as scheduled the next day.