Google Earth and ski area viewing

Old February 10th 06, 08:57 AM

Ace wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:09:15 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

Hah, I've seen 50 on mine. Only once, mind, but I regularly used to
get over 40. I too have used this as a comparitive measure for skiing
speed.

When I was young and foolish I spent most Sundays touring with the CTC
and I'll never forget the time we were cycling out of Stow-on-the-Wold
and overtook a car as we went down the long hill. We all looked at his
speedo which read 40. The look on the driver's face as a pack of a dozen
or so cyclists went by him was priceless.

I'm sure that with the hills round here above Sanremo I could hit even
more than 40, but now I'm old and not quite so foolish

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather than
cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on your
face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure I've hit
at least double that speed on skis.

Aye. Thankfully snow is not normally as abrasive as tarmac.

Exactly.
Old February 10th 06, 08:58 AM

cupra wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising
Old February 10th 06, 09:20 AM

BrritSki wrote:
cupra wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising

Same here - only time I tend to fall is when I attemp stoopid jumps and
rails!

Old February 10th 06, 11:23 AM

Norman wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message

snip
Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising

Same here - only time I tend to fall is when I attemp stoopid jumps
and rails!

I always seem to fall within about 3 seconds of saying to myself,
'damn, I've sure got the hang of this skiiing lark now'.

Yep - that seems familiar!

Old February 10th 06, 12:35 PM

When I was young and foolish I spent most Sundays touring with the CTC and
I'll never forget the time we were cycling out of Stow-on-the-Wold and
overtook a car as we went down the long hill. We all looked at his speedo
which read 40. The look on the driver's face as a pack of a dozen or so
cyclists went by him was priceless.

Once went mountainbiking around pen-y-gent and there is a road with a hill
there that is dead straight and goes on for a bit and is supposed to be one
of the only places where cyclists can exceed the national speed limit (60 on
single lane roads). I myself got upto about 40 but the bike didn't like
speed too much and I didn't fancy going any quicker. One of the guys that
was with us went for it and put it in top gear and peadeld down as fast as
he could and got to 58mph. No cars about though but we were all amazed by
his speed.

Paul

Old February 10th 06, 12:53 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:58:16 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

cupra wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
m...

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising

I had a real doozy in the Dolomites last month :-(

I'm not sure how fast I was going, but it was faster than I intended,
and faster than I can really cope with safely :-(

I went over on my front, and left skis and poles strewn 50 yards up
the slope. Bruised ribs was my only injury, and not too badly
bruised.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The road to success is always under construction.
Old February 10th 06, 02:48 PM

Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
My problems my knees - they only allow me 1/2 day of full on boarding
these days before I have to take it a little easier! (next holiday is
planned for NZ next August so plenty of time to get them seen to!)

Good luck. I know a particularly attractive seasonaire who'll be in NZ in
August.

Is boarding harder or easier on the knees do you think?

Tendonitis in my knee made me stop playing football a few years ago and it
flares up if I do much running, but to my eternal joy and amazement it
doesn't seem to mind skiing at all. Phew.

If that's the same thing as Cyclist's knee, then yes I suffer too. Used to
often go cycling 100+ miles a day, apparently I overused my knees. It does
cause problems at times on long walks, but like you it never causes a problem
skiing.

I only tried snowboarding twice, in the days before soft boot. But the
second time my knees didn't like it. Maybe Cupra should switch to skiing?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old February 10th 06, 02:50 PM

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
[...]

I skied for 10 years before boarding - boarding (was) far easier on my knees
until recently!

Old February 10th 06, 02:56 PM

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
[...]

Everyone should switch to skiing.

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the boarder/skier
ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people moving were skiers and
all the people boarding were sat down somewhere in the middle of the piste.

It was roughly around 20:1.