Snowmass - Aspen

Old December 22nd 03, 05:56 PM
Sam Seiber

Terd Fartingmor wrote:
No, it really is www.opera.com. It's a browser package that many people
adore. It's not free, though.

It's 39 bucks for something that looks like OE. I don't think so!

Well, Opera is more than a news reader. It is a browser (Mostly).
I use Netscape 3 for newsgroups, prolly cuz I am so used to it.
I use Opera to browse the net & manage my e-mail. On some days
it even renders (obski) Lovelands web site OK.

Sam "Opera user" Seiber

Old December 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
Alex Heney

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:44:31 CST, "Monique Y. Herman"
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 at 17:12 GMT, Terd Fartingmor penned:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:04:52 CST, (Kneale
Brownson) wrote this crap:

My main point was that there wasn't any need for me to employ the
News.individual.net program. My ISP provides a newsreader connection
I can use with Forte or Opera or whatever. I took it from the
original advice to check out the N-I-N thing that that would provide
the newsreader service directly.

What is Opera? I've used just about every newsreader there is, and
I've never heard of Opera. Gimme the website, I'm afraid to put in
www.opera.com

No, it really is www.opera.com. It's a browser package that many people
adore. It's not free, though.

If you can put up with an advertising banner at the top (which I never
even notice any more), then there is no monetary cost. (i.e. it *is*
free).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'm not as dumb as you look.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom

Old December 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
The Real Bev

Sam Seiber wrote:

Terd Fartingmor wrote:
No, it really is www.opera.com. It's a browser package that many people
adore. It's not free, though.

It's 39 bucks for something that looks like OE. I don't think so!

Well, Opera is more than a news reader. It is a browser (Mostly).
I use Netscape 3 for newsgroups, prolly cuz I am so used to it.

Good for you, O Retro-Grouch! I don't think there are substantial
differences between the 3.n and 4.9 newsreaders, but I switched to the
4.n series because I hoped they would eventually add the killfile
capability that was so sorely needed. Didn't happen until Mozilla, of
course, but Mozilla doesn't work as nicely for news as the old
netscapes.

I use Opera to browse the net & manage my e-mail. On some days
it even renders (obski) Lovelands web site OK.

Try Mozilla too -- apparently you can get browser-only versions. I run
both Moz and NS because there are some sites that one gets that the
other doesn't.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 22nd 03, 09:23 PM
Chester Bullock

The Real Bev wrote:

Try Mozilla too -- apparently you can get browser-only versions. I run
both Moz and NS because there are some sites that one gets that the
other doesn't.

I use the browser only version (Firebird) to browse. I use the email
only version (Thunderbird) for email and news. Both work great for me.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming