Snowmass - Aspen

Old December 17th 03, 04:52 PM
lal_truckee

Kneale Brownson wrote:

lal_truckee wrote in message ...

Kneale Brownson wrote:

(Kneale Brownson) wrote in message . com...

Comments posted 12/08/03 showed up 12/11/03. Ain't Google Grand?

Google's not for reading or posting usenet. Try one of the many free
news servers, for instance, "news.individual.net" - information
available at http://news.individual.net/

Thanks. I filled out the info form and got an automated message that
I would be contacted by an actual human. That was last week. No
contact yet. Must be busy, eh?

Don't know. They password response email from them was automated when I
signed up, IIRC.

Old December 18th 03, 09:53 PM
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson wrote:

(Kneale Brownson) wrote in message . com...

Comments posted 12/08/03 showed up 12/11/03. Ain't Google Grand?

Google's not for reading or posting usenet. Try one of the many free
news servers, for instance, "news.individual.net" - information
available at http://news.individual.net/

Thanks. I filled out the info form and got an automated message that
I would be contacted by an actual human. That was last week. No
contact yet. Must be busy, eh?

Don't know. They password response email from them was automated when I
signed up, IIRC.

They finally sent me a follow-up. Turns out you have to subscribe to
some OTHER program in order to employ theirs. In other words, the
news.individual.net jobbie is not a news reader in and of itself but
instead requires something like Forte Agent or Opera or Netscape and
then works in concert with those others. PITA to me.

Old December 18th 03, 10:27 PM
The Real Bev

Kneale Brownson wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
Kneale Brownson wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
Kneale Brownson wrote:
(Kneale Brownson) wrote:

Comments posted 12/08/03 showed up 12/11/03. Ain't Google Grand?

Google's not for reading or posting usenet. Try one of the many free
news servers, for instance, "news.individual.net" - information
available at http://news.individual.net/

Thanks. I filled out the info form and got an automated message that
I would be contacted by an actual human. That was last week. No
contact yet. Must be busy, eh?

Don't know. They password response email from them was automated when I
signed up, IIRC.

They finally sent me a follow-up. Turns out you have to subscribe to
some OTHER program in order to employ theirs. In other words, the
news.individual.net jobbie is not a news reader in and of itself but
instead requires something like Forte Agent or Opera or Netscape and
then works in concert with those others. PITA to me.

You don't subscribe to Forte or Opera or Netscape or Mozilla, you just
use one of them to read the news presented by individual.net or whatever
other newsfeed you choose. That's what most people do because no matter
which newsreader you use (even the M$ product) it's going to be
infinitely easier, faster and more pleasurable than a web-based reader.
Windows people seem to like Forte Free Agent which is, as noted, free
for the download, or you can use the reader you already have installed
(mumble Express?). I'm partial to one of the older versions of
Netscape, but people think I'm crazy.

Reading news at google is a much bigger PITA than using a real
newsreader. Give it a shot, you'll be glad you did.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 20th 03, 12:04 PM
Kneale Brownson

bdubya wrote in message . ..
Downloading, installing and configuring FreeAgent should take about as
much effort as posting for a day or two through Google. IMHO. But
some folks still think switching to a deeper sidecut is too much
trouble, too.....

bw

I've used Forte in the past, didn't really like the reading format, at
least of the Free version. The response speed, of course, was better
than Google.

My main point was that there wasn't any need for me to employ the
News.individual.net program. My ISP provides a newsreader connection
I can use with Forte or Opera or whatever. I took it from the
original advice to check out the N-I-N thing that that would provide
the newsreader service directly.

Old December 21st 03, 06:08 AM
The Real Bev

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote:

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 at 17:12 GMT, Terd Fartingmor penned:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:04:52 CST, (Kneale
Brownson) wrote this crap:

My main point was that there wasn't any need for me to employ the
News.individual.net program. My ISP provides a newsreader connection
I can use with Forte or Opera or whatever.

So does my real ISP, but individual.net is better. More groups, longer
retention. A bit slower, but I suppose it's the ocean crossing that
causes problems...

I took it from the
original advice to check out the N-I-N thing that that would provide
the newsreader service directly.

What is Opera? I've used just about every newsreader there is, and
I've never heard of Opera. Gimme the website, I'm afraid to put in
www.opera.com

No, it really is www.opera.com. It's a browser package that many people
adore. It's not free, though.

Last I heard, the linux version was. I don't think it had a newsreader,
though. Faster, but less capable. Maybe it's better now.

ObSki: They want $48 for a lousy Snow Summit ticket, but give you back
$15 if you leave at 1:00. During the holiday period the price goes up
to $55. 12-24" on a bit more than half the runs. Feh.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
Kneale Brownson

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message .. .

No, it really is www.opera.com. It's a browser package that many people
adore. It's not free, though.

There IS a free version of Opera and it does have a newsreader facility.

Old December 22nd 03, 05:15 AM
Terd Fartingmor

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:44:31 CST, "Monique Y. Herman"
wrote this crap:

What is Opera? I've used just about every newsreader there is, and
I've never heard of Opera. Gimme the website, I'm afraid to put in
www.opera.com

No, it really is www.opera.com. It's a browser package that many people
adore. It's not free, though.

It's 39 bucks for something that looks like OE. I don't think so!

I'll stick with Agent. It's only $25, and much better than OE. And
for those who don't want to pay the 25 bucks, Free Agent does the same
thing as Agent, and it's free.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe