Snowmass - Aspen

Old December 8th 03, 10:16 PM
jesse t

Default Snowmass - Aspen

So, I want to hear some opinions here. Don't hold back...

I've got a chance to go to Snowmass etc. for a couple of days in the
second week of January. I know nothing about Snowmass, Aspen and
Aspen Highlands beyond what I've seen on their website (which tells
you almost nothing...) and the fact that they are really expensive.
Beyond that, what are they really like? I don't give a damn about
nightlife and shopping, I just want to know about the skiing.

I'm an expert East coast skier, trees and steeps sort of stuff.

How close are the mountains to each other? Across the valley? Long
way down the road? Too far to waste time on?

Is any one of the three head and shoulders more interesting than the
rest?

What kind of person likes each one of these mountains?

Old December 9th 03, 01:47 AM
KentB

Aspen and Snowmass are OK. I like to ski them but have trouble with the
cost. I prefer Aspen Highlands or Buttermilk. They have a less commercial
feel and skiing is at least as good if not better.

om...

Old December 9th 03, 01:52 AM
Jack Wan

Where do you ski? Jesse?

I was an Eastern skier and have been almost all the Eastern ski areas from
the Pocono's to VT and NH. Maybe I can give you some idea what Aspen really
like other than expensive.

The first impression of Aspen as an Eastern Skier is its size. Each of the 3
major mountain is the size of Killington.
Secondly, the quality of the snow is much better. You do not get icy
moguls(in season).
Thirdly, it is steeper than all the Eastern resorts, especially the newly
added terrain. You call Stowe front 4 are steep, but Aspen is better.
Fourth, tails are longer, more tree skiing etc.
Fifth, no crowds especially for experts like you, other than the morning
calls.
Sixth, lots of off piste tails you can go, much more than Killington,
Okemo......

We are mostly talking about inbound skiing, don't bring out Tuckerman's
Raven.

All four mountains are not inter-connected by lifts, you have to busing
around. Buttermilk is for low level skiing only.

om...

Old December 9th 03, 03:53 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 at 02:52 GMT, Jack Wan penned:
Where do you ski? Jesse?

I was an Eastern skier and have been almost all the Eastern ski areas
from the Pocono's to VT and NH. Maybe I can give you some idea what
Aspen really like other than expensive.

The first impression of Aspen as an Eastern Skier is its size. Each of
the 3 major mountain is the size of Killington. Secondly, the quality
of the snow is much better. You do not get icy moguls(in season).
Thirdly, it is steeper than all the Eastern resorts, especially the
newly added terrain. You call Stowe front 4 are steep, but Aspen is
better. Fourth, tails are longer, more tree skiing etc. Fifth, no
crowds especially for experts like you, other than the morning calls.
Sixth, lots of off piste tails you can go, much more than Killington,
Okemo......

So I have a question here. Thus far, I haven't been good enough to ski
the really steep stuff at most any "real" resort ... but how does Sunday
River, Maine compare to "all the Eastern resorts" and to the West?

I had two week-long vacations at Sunday River (back when I was in
college and could afford to take that much vacation time =P), and both
times it seemed to me that the resort had a lot more in common with the
West than the East. But that was a while ago, and maybe it had more to
do with the attitude than the slopes. To be honest, I'm not sure I've
had enough taste of either East or West thus far to pass judgement.
(And no skiing experience at *all* outside the US -- a tragedy!)

--
monique

Old December 9th 03, 06:08 AM
John

(jesse t) wrote in message . com...
So, I want to hear some opinions here. Don't hold back...

I've got a chance to go to Snowmass etc. for a couple of days in the
second week of January. I know nothing about Snowmass, Aspen and
Aspen Highlands beyond what I've seen on their website (which tells
you almost nothing...) and the fact that they are really expensive.
Beyond that, what are they really like? I don't give a damn about
nightlife and shopping, I just want to know about the skiing.

I'm an expert East coast skier, trees and steeps sort of stuff.

How close are the mountains to each other? Across the valley? Long
way down the road? Too far to waste time on?

Is any one of the three head and shoulders more interesting than the
rest?

What kind of person likes each one of these mountains?

Snowmass is a bad Vail if that means anything to you. It is big with
a lot of families and not good skiers. It has the big burn which is a
nice bowl like experience at the top of the mountain. I am not the
biggest fan of Snowmass. It is about 25 minutes from Aspen and
Highlands by shuttle. By the way you want to take the shuttle as I
saw a lot of cars off the side of the road.

Aspen (now they call it ajax) is the real deal. Forget about the food
and clothes ect. The skiing is real. It doesn't have that much
acerage but plenty of good terrain. The great thing about Aspen is
that it isn;t crowded and a 13 minute gondola ride gets you 3100
vertical feel of good consistent pitch. The mountain has good bummps
on the ridge of bell and some trees off to either side. The coolest
thing about it might be ruthie's run, however, one of those must ski
runs before you die. Ruthies also has a high speed double which might
be the second coolest lift in america (the madriver single has to win
out). I must say that I haven't been to Aspen since the snowboarders
so maybe it has changed a bit. Intrestingly, Aspen is the opposite of
most mountains. Everyone will be there at opening, but everyone will
go home by 1:30. The only knock on Aspen is that it isn't a big
mountain experience. As an eastern Skiier though (which i am) should
like it though.

Highlands is the hidden jewel of Aspen. The mountain is about 5
minutes from aspen. No one goes there and I mean no one. Moreover,
you can get in a ton of vertical because all the lifts (well 3 out of
4) are high speed. Thunderball to Golden horn was called the best gs
training run in the world by Stephan Eberharter and I mean that he
called it that for good reason. The steeple chase area has good open
skiing and temerity has good trees. The higlands bowl is truely
awesome if you want to hike. There is also one of those classic bump
runs right above the mid-mountain lodge.

Basically, aside from the price and reputation I see no reason not to
jump at the chance to ski at Aspen and the Highlands.

Old December 9th 03, 01:18 PM
Jack Wan

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
So I have a question here. Thus far, I haven't been good enough to ski
the really steep stuff at most any "real" resort ... but how does Sunday
River, Maine compare to "all the Eastern resorts" and to the West?

I had two week-long vacations at Sunday River (back when I was in
college and could afford to take that much vacation time =P), and both
times it seemed to me that the resort had a lot more in common with the
West than the East. But that was a while ago, and maybe it had more to
do with the attitude than the slopes. To be honest, I'm not sure I've
had enough taste of either East or West thus far to pass judgement.
(And no skiing experience at *all* outside the US -- a tragedy!)

--
monique

Monique,

I am sorry, Sunday River is probably the only resort I have not been. Its a
bit too far from NYC. However, based on my Eastern skiing experiences here
is my very general comparison to the West for the intermediates:

1. Eastern snow is heavier.
2. Eastern slopes are icier. It does not mean Western slopes do not get icy,
but when they do, people quit skiing where Eastern skiers start to "enjoy".
3. Eastern slopes are shorter in comparable class resorts.
4. It is colder to ski in the Eastern resorts.
5. Less chance to get a Eastern sunny day when it has snow.
6. More crowded in East.
7. Less Destination Resorts on the Eastcoast.

Old December 9th 03, 03:53 PM
lal_truckee

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

(And no skiing experience at *all* outside the US -- a tragedy!)

Go to Utah. Whole different people. Third world population distribution
- zillions of spawn. Good snow, though.

Old December 9th 03, 04:44 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 at 16:53 GMT, lal_truckee penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

(And no skiing experience at *all* outside the US -- a tragedy!)

Go to Utah. Whole different people. Third world population
distribution - zillions of spawn. Good snow, though.

I've been to Utah. Great skiing! It's disconcerting to walk into a
mall and feel like you're the only person of breeding age who doesn't
have 3+ small blonde children attached ... but life goes on.

Actually, I have tentative plans to visit relatives in Park City some
time this winter. I'm hoping to revisit Solitude, which I remember as
being the best of the resorts I visited.

--
monique

Old December 9th 03, 04:53 PM
lal_truckee

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

(And no skiing experience at *all* outside the US -- a tragedy!)

Go to Utah. Whole different people. Third world population
distribution - zillions of spawn. Good snow, though.

I've been to Utah.

Aha! So you have skied outside the US!