218K in 24 hours - is that a record for a woman?

Old February 25th 04, 05:47 AM
Erik Brooks

Default 218K in 24 hours - is that a record for a woman?

On Sunday Feb 15 and Monday the 16th, 2 brave skiers from the Seattle
area decided to do a 24 hour snow 'workout', vaguely (very) like the
24 hours of Telemark. Don Brooks attempted to drag a few others into
it, but we resisted, at least this first year. Next year, maybe?

Don and Marlene Farrell made the attempt at the Summit Nordic Center
on Snoqualmie Pass near Seattle.

http://www.summit-at-snoqualmie.com/winter/nordic.html There is no
info about this 'event' on the web site, but the picture on this first
page of 2 overdressed striders is taken on the trail used for this 24
hour ski.

The trail chosen is called Cold Creek, and it's basically a road, in
fact we can drive on it in the summer, and that's when the route for
this was measured. The trail gains about 300 feet to a yurt, and the
skiers turned around there. In fairly fast conditions, the glide back
down required the skier's full attention, especially when crossing the
bridge with no guardrail and 15 to 20 foot drop off into icy fast
water.

Both Don and Marlene made it thru with no real drama, as well as no
support. Marlene had to stop after 22 hours due to blisters. She
completed 218K! A record, as far as I can tell. Don went the whole
way and made 256K.

The best other effort I've been able to locate was this:

210k by Juli Lynch in 2001
http://www.skinnyski.com/notices/arc...st24hours.html

I saw Marlene and Don at the Kongsberger Stampede 15K FS on Sunday.
Don chose to not race. Marlene did, and reported that her legs felt
very heavy. It takes more than a week to recover from a major effort
like a 24 hour fast ski.

Are there other contenders for this record?

Erik Brooks

Old February 25th 04, 12:13 PM

How many times would he have climbed that 300 feet over the 256km.?

Best, Peter
Old February 25th 04, 02:40 PM

Becky Laakso, 252 km, Lappe Nordic Center, March 16, 2002.
http://flash.lakeheadu.ca/~lnordic/24-02.html

Brian

Old February 25th 04, 02:42 PM
Erik Brooks