FAO Simon Flims/Laax

Old January 5th 04, 11:11 AM
Carl Edwards

Default FAO Simon Flims/Laax

Hi Simon,

Have a friend going to Flims in 2 weeks time (staying in a hotel "run by
Germans" - that narrows it down then...) and I told him I'd ask you about
conditions at present and whether you've heard any forecasts?

Cheers.

Old January 5th 04, 12:58 PM
Switters

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:11:52 GMT, "Carl Edwards"
allegedly wrote:

Have a friend going to Flims in 2 weeks time (staying in a hotel "run
by Germans" - that narrows it down then...) and I told him I'd ask you
about conditions at present and whether you've heard any forecasts?

I've just come back from there. Conditions are contrasting. However, in
2 weeks time, things could be very very different, so anything that I say
now will be null and void by then.

I last saw Simon over 2 weeks ago, I think he's off consulting the moles.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old January 5th 04, 04:05 PM
Carl Edwards

I last saw Simon over 2 weeks ago, I think he's off consulting the moles.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Ah, the infamous moles... let me try and remember... in October it was going
to be a great snow year, in November the moles were too busy drying out
their burrows to comment, in December they said it was now looking like it
would be a disastrous year and so Simon has gone off to slaughter some
snowboarders in the hope of appeasing the snow gods...

btw... what does 'contrasting' *actually* mean...? Like "good AND bad" at
the same time? Depending on which bit of the piste you're standing on? Is
this what's known as "non-commital"? )

Old January 5th 04, 05:08 PM
Switters

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:05:08 GMT, "Carl Edwards"
allegedly wrote:

would be a disastrous year and so Simon has gone off to slaughter some
snowboarders in the hope of appeasing the snow gods...

Given that that wasn't working, he's killing off skiers instead. At
least it'll reduce the moguls... but let's not turn this into another
skier vs boarder joke.

btw... what does 'contrasting' *actually* mean...? Like "good AND
bad" at the same time?

Yes.

Depending on which bit of the piste you're standing on?

Exactly that.

Is this what's known as "non-commital"? )

Sort of.

Any info now won't reflect what it will be like in 2 weeks time. Just
as the conditions when I went out where different from when I left.

Powder was nice in places where it was left. Some melt crust was
forming on the off-piste but not as much as one would expect. One day
it was -18C, the next it was -1C, the next it was +12C. Avalanches were
not occuring although a lot of blasting was going on. A steady stream
of snow (about 5cm/day) occured, with sunny/mild days in between.

Most pistes are reasonably well covered, but there are bare icy patches
to catch the unaware. Off-piste is hit and miss... much p-tex is being
used.

Personally I think a solid 20cm increase in the base will sort the whole
area out. Problem is that it's falling a little bit at a time and
getting scraped off to the sides. The icy bits that formed aren't
getting covered up.

That doesn't help does it? ;-)

Old January 6th 04, 08:24 AM
Carl Edwards

Given that that wasn't working, he's killing off skiers instead. At
least it'll reduce the moguls... but let's not turn this into another
skier vs boarder joke.

I must confess, I'm a boarder... but Simon still speaks to me, anyway...

Sort of.

:-)

Personally I think a solid 20cm increase in the base will sort the whole
area out. Problem is that it's falling a little bit at a time and
getting scraped off to the sides. The icy bits that formed aren't
getting covered up.

That doesn't help does it? ;-)

No - it does, thanks Dave... The bloke that's going is not the 'off piste'
sort - he's more of a 'spend 2 hours skiing and the rest of the day
drinking' sort who like gentle grreny/blue runs! I'll pass on the info -
thanks for the help.

Old January 6th 04, 09:35 PM
Simon Brown

Hi,

Just got back - lots of snow here but I don't know what the piste is like.
Can't think what hotel this is but I rarely go to Flims - strange people
there :-)

Dave: hope you had a good time.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 7th 04, 12:13 PM
Switters

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:35:29 GMT, "Simon Brown"
allegedly wrote:

Dave: hope you had a good time.

We did thanks. No-one seemed to know when you were getting back though.
I guess you were waiting for all the city folk to go home and leave the
roads clear. :-)

Old January 7th 04, 12:47 PM
Simon Brown

"Switters" wrote in message

We did thanks. No-one seemed to know when you were getting back though.
I guess you were waiting for all the city folk to go home and leave the
roads clear. :-)

Yer, got back yesterday missing the hectic of Christmas and New Year. Very
quiet now, about 4C and the snow quality down here is poor.

Simon