It's that time of year!

Old November 10th 05, 02:23 AM

Default It's that time of year!

Two years ago I used a HRM all year. Seemed kinda educational---the
numbers would vary all over the place while the sensations didn't
change that much. Except when wanting a wide range of effort I couldn't
work out with specificity without the HRM. I can do Easy, Medium, Hard
without it but no finer. In a race it was handy as well---I could make
myself go harder as needed or back off from going too hard in ways I
couldn't without the device. That year I did a wide range of backyard
training with much in the way of calesthenics.

Last year I didn't put the darn HRM on more than a couple times. I
trained mostly on rollerskis all summer and did few Backyard Olympic
type exercises.

This year, just some biking. No HRM. No rollerskiing. No nuttin! What a
slide! Well, I had a monthlong injury. And I did steadily do hard
biking and occasional mellow weights.

Anyway, all this to lead up to the big news: It's that time of year!
Today we had our first big windstorm. Fall is officially over, by me.
The leaves all came off. The woods cleared out, the air got fresh and
cool and I was compelled to go out and trail-run and rollerski and do
some weights. Ha! Funny how that works. Ready or not, here I come!

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com
HUGE NEW ISSUE #10 NOW AVAILABLE, $5, ADULT XC CONTENT ADVISORY

Old November 10th 05, 05:02 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

The weather news in Minneapolis has been the new record for the longest
string without a hard freeze (28 degrees or lower). Currently we're at
200 some odd days (260?). Last night was supposed to be the night we
ended the streak, but the temp only got to 29 F. Today, mid-50Fs,
Friday, 60 or better, so I'd say we're solidily in fall here and I
haven't put away the short and short sleeve jerseys (since I was
wearing them last week).

In a few weeks, it should be cold enough for the downhill areas to
start making snow, and a few weeks after that, we should have 1 km of
skiing out at Hamster Hollow.
When they start making snow, it's frustrating to watch the entire
downhill area get snowed in, then the tubing hill, then the snowmobile
area, then the parking lot (to give it that Xmass feel) and finally the
xc ski area.

This year I'm debating if I should purchase only a pass for Elm Creek
(40 min drive, zillions of high schoolers, not much vertical) or
purchase a pass at both Elm Creek and Hampter Hollow (1 hr drive,
billions of high schoolers, serious vertical). I think it might be
worth a pass at each for variety.

Jay Wenner

Adult XC Content Advisory: "Watch out, I'm gettin' slick."