Socks for alpine skiing

Old January 29th 04, 08:32 AM
Matt

Default Socks for alpine skiing

Alright,,, we are new to skiing and my wife and I are ready to get a
divorce over the type of socks to use with alpine ski boots.
I say thin socks, she wants cushion type socks.
Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated.
Oh,,, our local stores seem to be run by snowboarders who are 18yrs
old and they I dont think they even own socks.. just kidding..
Thanks.

Old January 29th 04, 11:21 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-29, Matt penned:
Alright,,, we are new to skiing and my wife and I are ready to get a
divorce over the type of socks to use with alpine ski boots. I say
thin socks, she wants cushion type socks. Any opinions would be
helpful and appreciated. Oh,,, our local stores seem to be run by
snowboarders who are 18yrs old and they I dont think they even own
socks.. just kidding.. Thanks.

Thin. Thin, thin, thin. But make sure that your boots are fitted with
those thin socks, too.

And find a store, local or not, that has reliable skier types doing the
fitting.

--
monique

Old January 29th 04, 11:41 PM
klaus

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
Thin. Thin, thin, thin.

Yahhhh. That's how I like 'em, too.

As for the socks.. who cares? A seafoam blue merrywidow does wonders
though.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're worrying about your socks, you're
ignoring the important stuff. It ain't the gear. Especially socks. If
she's comfortable in thick socks and her feet don;t hurt, and likes
them, she'll ski longer, be happier, and be more apt to get into that
merrywidow when you get back home. YMWMLBL.

ObISO9001: For information only.

-klaus

Old January 30th 04, 05:06 PM
mark

"Matt" wrote in message ...
Alright,,, we are new to skiing and my wife and I are ready to get a
divorce over the type of socks to use with alpine ski boots.
I say thin socks, she wants cushion type socks.
Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated.
Oh,,, our local stores seem to be run by snowboarders who are 18yrs
old and they I dont think they even own socks.. just kidding..
Thanks.

Thin socks and closely fitting boots. Think of the liner of the boot as the
thick cushion type sock that your wife wants.
--
mark

Old January 30th 04, 06:11 PM
Walt

mark wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message ...
Alright,,, we are new to skiing and my wife and I are ready to get a
divorce over the type of socks to use with alpine ski boots.
I say thin socks, she wants cushion type socks.
Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated.
Oh,,, our local stores seem to be run by snowboarders who are 18yrs
old and they I dont think they even own socks.. just kidding..

Thin socks and closely fitting boots. Think of the liner of the boot as the
thick cushion type sock that your wife wants.

Right. That's the standard answer.

But it's not worth working yourself up into a lather about. If she
wants to wear thick socks, let her wear thick socks. It won't make that
much difference for a recreational skier. When she's ready to go for
performance, she can buy some new socks.

Whatever you do, definitely stay away from cotten socks. You will
always have cold feet with cotten socks. I prefer wool over synthetics,
but the synthetics have their fans too.

--
//-Walt
//

Old January 31st 04, 03:57 AM
Fred

bdubya wrote in message

(Actually, if you're renting boots, don't.
Just don't. Buy your own boots ASAP).

What you want is a nice, thin, snug-fitting wool sock, none of this
synthetic silliness, and no sock-liners. (I'm fond of Smartwool
myself, but that's a matter of personal preference).

bw

I agree both with buying your boots and the Smartwool socks. Foot
comfort is very important. If she has difficulty with achieving that,
have her try the soft boots. My wife, who has had foot comfort
problems, rented some a week ago and loved them. So next trip we will
buy her some.

Fred

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
skiing without socks? Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 4 February 4th 04 10:14 AM