Used skis?I

Old September 12th 16, 05:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default Used skis?I

I am looking at a pair of used ski that are about 40% of the same new skis. The seller says he has repaired all damage and sharpened them, but cautions they won't have as much edge left as new skis and may be a bit softer from use.

I like the price and don't care about the edges; I probably won't be using them too long anyhow. But what about the flex? They are about two notches above my present skis, so a tad softer than new is okay, but I don't want something soggy. No, I can't try them first, and I understand you haven't seen them; but does this seem like a fair bet? (don't expect a sure thing; just a fair bet)
Old September 12th 16, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/12/2016 10:28 AM, Toller wrote:
I am looking at a pair of used ski that are about 40% of the same new
skis. The seller says he has repaired all damage and sharpened them,
but cautions they won't have as much edge left as new skis and may be
a bit softer from use.

I like the price and don't care about the edges; I probably won't be
using them too long anyhow. But what about the flex? They are about
two notches above my present skis, so a tad softer than new is okay,
but I don't want something soggy. No, I can't try them first, and I
understand you haven't seen them; but does this seem like a fair bet?
(don't expect a sure thing; just a fair bet)

I've never bought anything BUT used skis and I buy them dirt cheap at
yard sales. The most I would ever pay is $25. My last ones were $5,
maybe 10 years old and unused; I've used them for 3 years. This gives
you a frame of reference for my comments. If there's any damage at
all, repaired or not, 60% off is excessive. Are the bindings still
indemnified? If not, can you adjust them to your boots yourself and
release test them?

--
Cheers, Bev
"We need to cut more slack for the stupid; after all, somebody has
Old September 13th 16, 03:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/12/2016 02:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

I meant an inadequate discount, not excessive. The price is excessive.

--
Cheers, Bev
Bender: And so I ask you this one question: Have you ever tried simply
Old September 13th 16, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 11:07:31 PM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

That makes sense. I have since found the new skis for 20% less, so I am going with those. Thanks (I did buy my first pair of skis at a garage sale and still have them. My son uses them the every two years he goes skiing)
Old September 14th 16, 06:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I think the technology in many fields is pretty mature. The last big
improvement in dirt bikes was the monoshock; I really hate the idea of
water cooling, especially with the radiator right out there in front
exposed to whatever wants to smash it. Whatever happened to
piezo-whatevers in skis? I only ski groom, and the places I ski aren't
really cold, so not-wide skis and candle-wax work fine.

Perhaps the equipment matters a lot more when you're thinking in
hundredths of a second, but that's not me in any field at all. I'm
just happy if it doesn't break -- the brand new Atomic bindings that
replaced the recalled Atomic bindings that were recalled for breaking in
exactly the same way the replaced one broke were a real disappointment.

--
Cheers. Bev
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament
Old September 14th 16, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 2:30:09 AM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:

I think the technology in many fields is pretty mature.

I understand what you are saying, but you are exaggerating a bit.

I have owned a pair of used Volant something or others, a used Dynastar Speed Carve, and a new Nordica SUV12.1. The Volant and the Nordica are aimed at the same audience, but separated by 20 years. The Nordica are way better; presumably the technology has improved. I am hoping (praying) that my new skis (Volkl RTM81) will edge like the Dynastar but be as forgiving as the Nordica. I can dream can't I?
Old September 14th 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:

I think the technology in many fields is pretty mature.

I understand what you are saying, but you are exaggerating a bit.

I have owned a pair of used Volant something or others, a used
Dynastar Speed Carve, and a new Nordica SUV12.1. The Volant and the
Nordica are aimed at the same audience, but separated by 20 years.
The Nordica are way better; presumably the technology has improved.
I am hoping (praying) that my new skis (Volkl RTM81) will edge like
the Dynastar but be as forgiving as the Nordica. I can dream can't
I?

Not a clue. I'm pretty damn insensitive and make whatever I have
available work for me.

--
Cheers, Bev
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'
Old September 28th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Eviel Dewar

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:12:56 PM UTC-4,

I'd say you are just pretty damn insensitive at all levels, a trait of psychopaths.

LOL!

Old January 18th 17, 10:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:12:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:

If you ski in the East and can actually edge, you'll like them. I have the RTM 84 and it my go to everyday ski, not much difference between the two.

I've used the RTM 81s a few times and love them. They hold an edge great, but don't react catastrophically if I make an error. Can't ask for more than that.