Heading to Canada to ski..... ???

Old February 23rd 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Armin

Default Heading to Canada to ski..... ???

..... apparently not if you have a criminal record in the States:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGCAO9NSB1.DTL

Old February 23rd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alex Heney

On 23 Feb 2007 15:04:11 -0800, "Armin" wrote:

.... apparently not if you have a criminal record in the States:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGCAO9NSB1.DTL

This strikes me as rather a "what is good for the goose is good for
the gander" situation :-)

For the last few of years (since a few months after the Twin Towers)
people wanting to travel to the USA, while they have not actually been
prevented completely from entering, they have had to use the full visa
system if there is any record of them ever even having been *arrested*
(not just convicted) of any offence at all.

So people who have always been able to travel on the visa waiver
program, and just fill in the green form on the plane were suddenly
finding themselves denied entry.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The Microsoft Motto: "We're the leaders, wait for us!"
Old February 25th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

Armin wrote:

.... apparently not if you have a criminal record in the States:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGCAO9NSB1.DTL

When I lived in Alaska (the 80s) I knew of a lot of people turned back
at the border for DUI convictions and other infractions that they
considered minor, so it's been going on for a while.

Last time we went to Canada (1994?) the very nice Canada border guy spent at
least half an hour searching the monsterhome for cigarettes. When we smoked
we carried at least ten cartons on a vacation -- I wonder if he would have
believed that we might actually smoke that much in a couple of weeks.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 26th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Bob Lee wrote:
Armin wrote:

.... apparently not if you have a criminal record in the States:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGCAO9NSB1.DTL

When I lived in Alaska (the 80s) I knew of a lot of people turned back
at the border for DUI convictions and other infractions that they
considered minor, so it's been going on for a while.

When I worked in Detroit (80s & 90s) I knew of a lot of people turned
back at the border for DUI convictions and other infractions that they
considered minor, so it's been going on for a while.

Yes, Detroit which has the busiest border crossing between the US &
Canada. Plus it's merely an hour from the most fearsome awe-inspiring
sphincter-tightening ski hill in the western hemisphere. But no need to
rub it in, even if I have skied there with Ernie Shapankowicz.

//Walt
Old February 26th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Bob Lee wrote:
Walt wrote:

But no need to
rub it in, even if I have skied there with Ernie Shapankowicz.

The guy's awesome, and I'm honored to have skied with you
since you have skied with him.

And I'm honored to have skied with you, because you've skied with
someone who has skied with him. And that means that I can now claim to
have skied with him myself. Well, vicariously speaking of course, but
that minor detail can always be elided over. Ain't the intertubes grand?

That's not name-dropping, that's just living in SE MI.

Yep. I was just talking to the Mayor about that yesterday. Turns out
he's shook the hand of P.T. Barnum and Charlie Chan.

//Walt