Avalanche Center News - Auction, Discounts on Equipment

Old December 6th 05, 09:14 AM

Default Avalanche Center News - Auction, Discounts on Equipment

CSAC Update - December 6, 2005

An Update from the Avalanche Center
http://www.csac.org/
December 6 , 2005

Website version:
http://www.csac.org/Organization/upd...005-12-06.html

Translations: http://world.altavista.com/ (Opens in new window)

(To translate this update enter the URL
"http://www.csac.org/Organization/updates/" and then follow the link on
the translated page to this update. This way the entire page/update is
translated.)

This is a brief but important update ! Another will follow next week to
keep promoting the auction before it closes.

Quick Contents:
===============

* 8th Annual Fundraising Auction - Through December 16
* Avalanche Store Discount Matching Program - Guaranteed Lowest
Prices

This is years fundraising auction is our Eighth!

This brief and important update is strictly to promote the annual
fundraising auction which is underway as well as promoting a new store
policy of matching all competing prices. Updates and changes to the
website are not described, you'll have to surf through the site and
have a look around to really appreciate recent changes and work.

Annual Fundraising Auction
==========================

It's that time of year again, and we are currently running our eighth
annual fundraising auction. I got off to a late start seeking goods due
to other demands on my time, and there were no offers to help out. Jeff
did directly and personally email many of our past donors, and a few
items came in as a result of this. While this year has the lowest
number of industry contributors ever we still have a pretty good
variety of products to bid on. Partly because we had some items left
from last year.

The auction page is: http://www.csac.org/auction/

Your participation is important. It only becomes harder to get
donations when too many of our website users don't bother to bid on
things. And when industry and user support diminish so does my interest
in donating what is essentially a full time effort to provide free
resources. The site has been moving more towards serving contributors,
with a growing number of resources available only to them and not to
the general public for free. The support of those companies who donate
items and the support of those who use our resources (by bidding and by
contributing) determine how fast and how much we need to move away from
doing everything for everyone for free.

In addition to bidding you can also support the auction by helping us
to promote it. Mention it on forums you are active on and email lists
you are part of. Tell your friends. And print out the flyer/press
release using the link on the main auction page and post it locally.

As of tonight (Monday, Dec 5) I have posted most items for bidding,
although not quite all of them. By the end of the day Tuesday
everything should be posted. Many of our regular contributors have
provided items once again, including Crazy Creek who has donated at
least one chair every single year. We also have a couple Igloo
Construction Tools from Grand Shelters again. Ed has offered since the
last time we had some, but we've been poor at communicating with him in
advance. This year he's been added to our fax/mailing list for better
advance notice in future years.

Due to a late start seeking items and the lack of help with it some
companies were unable to donate because the notice they received was
too short. Prana took the time to send us an email and let us know that
was the reason they aren't included this year. They have provided items
in many past years and its too bad we couldn't get our requests out
sooner. Maybe next year.

Check out the auction page to see what we have and to bid:
http://www.csac.org/auction/

Another update will follow next week, maybe including a partial or full
list of items.

Avalanche Store Matching Discount Policy

Another way to support our efforts and resources is to purchase your
avalanche safety gear through our Avalanche Store
(http://www.csac.org/store/)

We now have a page of discount prices
(http://www.csac.org/store/discounts/) matching the best deals known to
us. There is a link to the discounts page on the main store page. Right
now we have sale prices on the Barryvox and the PIEPS DSP. At one point
we sold a couple Barryvox for $199 to match REI. We were glad to see
them end that deal since we really don't benefit at that price.
However, benefit or not we will match any web-posted price. We'd rather
have you buy it from us than somebody like REI.

If you see a price better than what we have posted email us and let us
know. If it qualifies as a price to be posted on our discount page we
will give you a free t-shirt with your order at the discount price you
inform us of. Even if it doesn't qualify to be posted we may be willing
to make a deal with you to get your sale. Right now we have no official
posted prices to match the "buy a beacon get a free shovel" deals, but
we will bargain with you to match them. Email us if you want to make a
deal. For beacons with current posted discount prices (currently
Barryvox and PIEPS) the free shovel deal won't be the biggest discount.
But for items like the Tracker for which there are no current discount
prices you can get your best deal by bargaining against the "free
shovel" discounting.

We do not provide free shipping. However, for all orders over $100 (in
final cart value, regardless of whether there are sale items or
discounts or whatever) the customer receives contributor status for one
year on the site, and all the extra material that can be accessed with
that. Remember that purchasing from us supports these materials and
resources. All proceeds go into this, the store makes no profits for
any individuals and pays only a student worker hourly for handling
orders.

And by the way, our shirts are all on a close-out sale right now. We
want to move them and buy a new batch. See the Store Sale page.

Final Note and a Couple Tips
============================

For those of you who have read this far here are two tips for the
auction and the sto

1: During the auction we have often put up items from our store,
especially beacons, for bidding. We often auction off "your choice of
beacon" starting at $200 and only run it for a day or two, so these go
for very low prices. Keep watching the auction for these deals. (That's
the purpose - to get people to watch the auction. We hope you'll bid on
other things while you're there, but it isn't required.)

2- Contributors who shop while they are logged in get a blanket
across-the-board discount on their shopping cart total, excluding sale
items. This varies, it will say on the login welcome page and the cart.
It can be anywhere from 10-30%. You can also join an email list which
we sometimes use to announce changes in this discount (if I remember
to). Right now the discount is still quite high, but that could change
at any time. Don't email and ask about it - you need to be a
contributor. If you are then log in and check. And subscribe to the
store-notices list.

Thanks a lot for bidding in the Auction and purchasing you gear from
the Avalanche Store !
This makes the site possible.