Paging Ace - you are now permitted to smile

Old February 9th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe, uk.rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

Default Paging Ace - you are now permitted to smile

The snow in the Pyrenees is crap, for the second year running, while
it's great in the Alps. Casting around without much hope for a cheap
catered chalet last-minute bargain in the Alps at half-term (next
weekend), I found (to my surprise) that there are more than a few,
discounted to half price.

Like £300 a head, and yes, room for four or more, in Val d'Isere.
Oufit called Finlays, if anybody knows anything about them

A quick bit of thinking. There's a mere 40cm of snow at altitude in
the Pyrenees, and the forecast for the whole of next week is for
temperatures of up to 10. One downward spike mid-week, and one cm of
snow on that date.

We've got flights booked, and a hire car waiting for us at Toulouse
Airport. So we've cancelled the hotel in St Lary and we're heading
north-east instead of south-west. Anybody know how long it takes to
drive Toulouse-Val?

Only slight problem: all our kit is in a boot room in a hotel in St
Lary, but that's what credit cards are for, and my boots are over 20
years old anyway.
Old February 9th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Brownz \(Mobile\)

TOG@Toil wrote:
[...]

Eww... nasty.

I think you'll have to skirt the coast, e.g. Carcassonne - Narbonne -
Nimes - Orange - Valence - Grenoble - Val

Which is between 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 depending on your speed.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

Old February 9th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
platypus

Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
TOG@Toil wrote:
[...]

Google maps say "697 km – about 6 hours 48 mins".

Old February 9th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe, uk.rec.motorcycles

On 9 Feb, 19:04, "Brownz \(Mobile\)"
wrote:
TOG@Toil wrote:
[...]

Re Finlays -
I have been with them a lot and keep going back.
Always with last min deals and it is
fine value on that basis. Mostly or
always decent locations and I have always
liked the food.

I would if I had to pay the full whack I suppose.

Old February 9th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Pete Fisher

In communiqué
,
"TOG@Toil" cast forth these pearls of
wisdom
[...]

Espace Sancy (Mont Dore) is closer (half the distance) and more direct
A20/A89, though it looks as if they haven't masses of snow there.

| Pete Fisher at Home: |
| Voxan Roadster Gilera Nordwest Yamaha WR250Z |
| Gilera GFR * 2 Moto Morini 2C/375 |
Old February 9th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe, uk.rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

On 9 Feb, 19:10, "platypus" wrote:
Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
TOG@Toil wrote:
[...]

Hm. 435 miles. Gotta be under six hours. It is a hire car, after all.
The alternative was binning the flights and hire car and driving out
ourselves.
Old February 10th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Andy Bonwick

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:30:48 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
wrote:

snip

Hm. 435 miles. Gotta be under six hours. It is a hire car, after all.
The alternative was binning the flights and hire car and driving out
ourselves.

How far are you from the Cairngorms? Apparently they're in condition
at the moment and at least you get to watch UK television when the
weather changes and it ****es down with rain.
Old February 10th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
YTC#1

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:06:19 +0000, Andy Bonwick wrote:

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:30:48 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
wrote:

snip

Hm. 435 miles. Gotta be under six hours. It is a hire car, after all.
The alternative was binning the flights and hire car and driving out
ourselves.

How far are you from the Cairngorms? Apparently they're in condition

When you take the M1/M6[1]/M74/A9 into consideration, it will work out
further :-)

at the moment and at least you get to watch UK television when the
weather changes and it ****es down with rain.

[1] You don't want to go via the A1(M)/A68.

--
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GS550, GSX250, 750SS
POTM#1(KoTL), WUSS#1 , YTC#1(bar), OSOS#2(KoTL) , DS#3 , IbW#18 ,Apostle#8

Old February 10th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
YTC#1

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 08:47:18 -0800, TOG@Toil wrote:

The snow in the Pyrenees is crap, for the second year running, while
it's great in the Alps. Casting around without much hope for a cheap

Global warming takes its toll........

As I said to you earlier, I'm a convert to the Alps after this year.

Old February 10th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Andy Bonwick

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:27:54 GMT, YTC#1
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:06:19 +0000, Andy Bonwick wrote:

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:30:48 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
wrote:

snip

Hm. 435 miles. Gotta be under six hours. It is a hire car, after all.
The alternative was binning the flights and hire car and driving out
ourselves.

How far are you from the Cairngorms? Apparently they're in condition

When you take the M1/M6[1]/M74/A9 into consideration, it will work out
further :-)

I'd have guessed at them being about the same distance but google
mishaps says it's 100 miles further to Aviemore.

at the moment and at least you get to watch UK television when the
weather changes and it ****es down with rain.

[1] You don't want to go via the A1(M)/A68.

I doubt if he wants to go by any route.

Laub (was Paging SteveH) Ace[_2_] European Ski Resorts 8 February 6th 08 07:32 PM
paging UK Boarders: newbie question for the locals [email protected] Snowboarding 19 June 6th 06 12:20 PM
Paging the cowardly catamite! Eviel Dewar Alpine Skiing 8 November 19th 04 08:26 PM
Paging our Shaun taywood Nordic Skiing 1 October 25th 04 02:32 PM
Paging Mr Brown Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 10 December 17th 03 08:20 AM