packing boots with skis

Old February 21st 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default packing boots with skis

I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
with me. Thanks!
Old February 21st 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

wrote:
I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
with me. Thanks!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do NOT ever check your ski boots on the way to the resort. I found this
out the hard way. If your luggage is delayed, you'll have to ski in
rental boots, and the dirty little secret about skiing is that the
reason the newbies in rental gear all ski like dorks is that *anyone*
who tries to ski in boots that don't fit will ski like a dork. Really.

Been there, done that, it was awful. I couldn't ski for ****, even on
the same model ski that I usually ski on.

So, get a medium sized carry on bag, place your boots in it along with
whatever you need to ski the first two days - ski pants, googles, hat,
gloves, beer, cheese, whatever. Carry it on. Check the rest of the stuff.

On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
delayed, so what?

As for damage during handling, skis and boots are not exactly delicate.
Spend your cycles worrying about something more important.

//Walt
Old February 21st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
delayed, so what?

So what? So you can't ski.
Every day's a ski day - home mountain or visitor mountain.

Boots in carry on, everything else can be checked to/from.
Old February 21st 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:

On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
delayed, so what?

So what? So you can't ski.
Every day's a ski day - home mountain or visitor mountain.

Boots in carry on, everything else can be checked to/from.

I suppose that there's a remote possibility I'll want to run off to Mt
Trashmore the day after returning from a week in Colorado.

Somehow, though, I think I may be able to restrain myself.

Anyway, I'll talk to you all in a week. (Or a week and a day if I do
the Mt Trashmore thing.)

//Walt
Old February 21st 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Feb 21, 11:03*am, wrote:
I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
clothing. *There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. *I'm a little
nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
bag that it might work fine. *Does anyone have any experience doing
this? *The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
with me. Thanks!

I'll agree that carrying your boots onboard is the best suggestion.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some airlines are
starting to enforce the rule that ski bags may contain "ski equipment"
ONLY, as in just skis and poles only. For years, people have gotten
away with stuffing their ski bags with clothes, etc., but don't count
on it. I've had friends who were charged for excess baggage because
their bags had more than just the skis and poles. Had another who had
to do a quick re-pack. And by the way, they mean just ONE set of skis/
poles per bag. I bought a monster Rossignol double ski bag that could
probably hold a half dozen sets of skis (it's one foot in diameter),
but I gave up using it because I didn't want to risk having to pay for
an extra bag. Implementation of this particular airline rule is
highly dependent on the gate agent...for now. As more airlines start
doing it, the others will all fall in line. Already at least one
airline has announced that they'll start charging for a second checked
bag. The others will follow suit if they see that the first airline
is getting away with it.

My boots (which at size 10 aren't small like my wife's) fit in a
standard wheeled carryon along with my helmet, goggles, gloves, shell
pants, socks, underwear, turtleneck, etc. By wearing a jacket I can
ski in on the plane, I'm good to go the first day. I always viewed
the potential for delayed luggage as an opportunity to get free
rentals.
Old February 21st 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Y

wrote in message
I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
with me. Thanks!

I'd NEVER check boots! I'm going to Bariloche this summer, and I want
my boots with me on the plane! My custom fitted boots with the 6 hours
to fit footbeds. Everything else is expendable. Loose my luggage, they can
buy me generic stuff. Loose my boots, I'm screwed!

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just rent skis. Haven't decided yet. I may take
my Apache CrossFires (they were new last season) so they are near the
end of their life and maybe I'll take them, but I figure I'd just rent the
skis.

Mike

Old February 22nd 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:

On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
delayed, so what?

So what? So you can't ski.
Every day's a ski day - home mountain or visitor mountain.

Boots in carry on, everything else can be checked to/from.

I suppose that there's a remote possibility I'll want to run off to Mt
Trashmore the day after returning from a week in Colorado.

Somehow, though, I think I may be able to restrain myself.

Anyway, I'll talk to you all in a week. (Or a week and a day if I do
the Mt Trashmore thing.)

Sadly, I supect you won't be allowed to carry boots as hand luggage for much
longer. they could be used as a weapon, like over 100ml of water can

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old February 22nd 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

TexasSkiNut wrote:
On Feb 21, 11:03 am, wrote:

By wearing a jacket I can ski in on the plane...

That's pretty impressive. Do you ride on the wings or the fuselage?

//Walt
Old February 22nd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ted Waldron

In article , "Mike Y"
wrote:

I'm going to Bariloche this summer, and I want
my boots with me on the plane!

When are you going? are you flying to Buenos Aires and taking a
flight to Bariloche or going Santiago via Puerto Montt and a bus via the
Samoré Pass?

Check the weather diligently from June onward, snowpack in the Lake
District can be sketchy at times, especially on the East Side.

Also go up to San Martin de los Andes when you have a chance...

ˇBueno Viaje!