Goin' Big For Warren Miller

Old January 24th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Goin' Big For Warren Miller

Harry Weiner wrote:
Walt wrote this crap:

There was a kid who was killed by skiing into a tree at Mt Holly a
couple of years ago. On green trail, no less.

All the trails at Mt. Holly are green.

Well, yes, most of them would be rated green anywhere else.

But this one was rated green by Mt Holly standards, so you'd need a
carpenter's level to determine which way was down.

//Walt
Old January 24th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

bdubya wrote:
some clown who lives in a trailer wrote:

You don't understand skiing wild snow. YOu ****ed yourself up inbounds and
Avy controlled. The only place in North America with out of bound moguls
is Jackson Hole.

I'm genuinely curious - what do OB mogul fields have to do with "wild
snow"?

Yeah, I'm wondering myself. As I understand it, the whole point of
going OB is to ski untracked or minimally tracked terrain. An OB mogul
field would seem to be somewhat of an oxymoron.

//Walt
Old January 24th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:26:43 -0500, Walt
wrote:

bdubya wrote:
some clown who lives in a trailer wrote:

You don't understand skiing wild snow. YOu ****ed yourself up inbounds and
Avy controlled. The only place in North America with out of bound moguls
is Jackson Hole.

I'm genuinely curious - what do OB mogul fields have to do with "wild
snow"?

Yeah, I'm wondering myself. As I understand it, the whole point of
going OB is to ski untracked or minimally tracked terrain. An OB mogul
field would seem to be somewhat of an oxymoron.

Maybe they're super-hazardous; when they release, it's like
volkswagen-sized boulders coming down the hill. Takes a manly man
indeed to face such a thing...

bw
Old January 24th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ],
Alan Baker wrote:

You don't have to understand what makes other people happy. I don't
understand bungee jumping.

You don't understand skiing wild snow. YOu ****ed yourself up inbounds and
Avy controlled. The only place in North America with out of bound moguls
is Jackson Hole. Btw- John Elway played his entire Stanford and NFL careers
with out an ACL. He had all the money he needed for reconstructive surgery
when he signed with the Broncos. What that idiot pimple faced New Jersey
****wad doesn't realize is alot of us have knees that are inoperable.

So? My doctor has advised me that as my MCL heals (yes, my MCL was also
injured and it's what's actually causing me the most difficulty day to
day) in 6 to 8 weeks, I might be able to do some cruising sort of skiing
at that point.

And it hardly matters from a risk perspective whether moguls are in
bounds are out of bounds, now does it?

And you continue to spew bul**** beyond your experience.

LOL

With your examples on aerodynamics and the SunOS versions to follow...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 24th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
bdubya wrote:

I'm genuinely curious - what do OB mogul fields have to do with "wild
snow"?

****loads. Traffic. Acessability. Skier stabilization. Avalanche forecasting in those areas as opposed to *pristine* back country. Route finding on
Teton Pass is a whole different ball game that up in the Park, and snow pits
correlate extremely well across the east flank of the Tetons.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 24th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Bob Lee wrote:

Wild snow...moguls - isn't that what they call an oxymoron? Are you
sure you understand the concept of wild snow?

A good definition of a moron is an idiot that wants to boad across Jackson
Lake, climb Moran, and ski the Skillet Glacier. You're unsafe at any
speed.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 24th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
bdubya wrote:
I'm genuinely curious - what do OB mogul fields have to do with "wild
snow"?

****loads. Traffic. Acessability. Skier stabilization. Avalanche forecasting in those areas as opposed to *pristine* back country. Route finding on
Teton Pass is a whole different ball game that up in the Park, and snow pits
correlate extremely well across the east flank of the Tetons.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Uh, Jeff,
The question was, "What do OB mogul fields
have to do with 'wild snow'?"

If the snow is 'wild', it certainly seems
like an oxymoron if it has moguls.
i.e. skier traffic builds moguls. Enough
skier traffic to build moguls, the snow is
no longer 'wild', regardless of access
requirements.
Old January 25th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:28:07 -0500, VtSkier
wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
bdubya wrote:
I'm genuinely curious - what do OB mogul fields have to do with "wild
snow"?

****loads. Traffic. Acessability. Skier stabilization. Avalanche forecasting in those areas as opposed to *pristine* back country. Route finding on
Teton Pass is a whole different ball game that up in the Park, and snow pits
correlate extremely well across the east flank of the Tetons.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Uh, Jeff,
The question was, "What do OB mogul fields
have to do with 'wild snow'?"

If the snow is 'wild', it certainly seems
like an oxymoron if it has moguls.
i.e. skier traffic builds moguls. Enough
skier traffic to build moguls, the snow is
no longer 'wild', regardless of access
requirements.

Sorta what I was thinking. Maybe I should rephrase the question:

Can a mogul field, even OB, properly be considered "wild snow"? If
so, then maybe we need some clarification on what differentiates
"wild" snow from the more domestic variety (Niveus Familiaris, IIRC)

Hmm....and if you're in the habit of hiking to lift-served terrain
after the lifts are shut down, are you skiing feral snow?

bw
Old January 25th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Some lonely old dude who lives in a trailer wrote:
bdubya wrote:

I'm genuinely curious - what do OB mogul fields have to do with "wild
snow"?

****loads. Traffic. Acessability. Skier stabilization.
yada yada yada

Uh, Jeff,
The question was, "What do OB mogul fields
have to do with 'wild snow'?"

You haven't seen the video "Snows Gone Wild"?

I think that's the idea. Fap Fap Fap.

//Walt