Newbie

Old October 29th 03, 06:20 PM
Dean Percival

Default Newbie

I was just hoping to seek some advice on resorts people would recommend for
a beginner to earn his spurs?

--
Dean Percival

Old October 29th 03, 07:08 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Dean Percival" wrote in message
I was just hoping to seek some advice on resorts people would recommend

for
a beginner to earn his spurs?

--
Dean Percival

There's a lot more to answering this question than you might think. It
would help if you could give an idea of your preferences - cost, night life,
family, country.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 2nd 03, 09:30 PM
Michael Chare

"Dean Percival" wrote in message
I was just hoping to seek some advice on resorts people would recommend for
a beginner to earn his spurs?

The Inghams Ski brochure rates resorts for Beginners, Intermediates Advaced and
Snowboarding.

One advantage of a small resort is that it is easier to meet other people as you
come across the same person more often, and as a beginner you won't really
benefit from a large ski area.

Michael Chare

Old November 5th 03, 08:17 PM
Dean Percival

Thanks alot for the advice. I need to do some surfing now to plan my trip.
"Schneck" wrote in message
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Dean Percival" wrote in message
I was just hoping to seek some advice on resorts people would

recommend
for
a beginner to earn his spurs?

The Inghams Ski brochure rates resorts for Beginners, Intermediates

Advaced and
Snowboarding.

The big three... Inghams, Crystal, and Neilson... all have such ratings.
Other companies you could look at are Erna Low, Thomson, Airtours or
Panorama.

One advantage of a small resort is that it is easier to meet other

people
as you
come across the same person more often, and as a beginner you won't

really
benefit from a large ski area.

Depends on the resort. Meribel has loads of skiing for a beginner and

you'll
meet the same people each day if you want to.... but has the added

advantage
of the rest of the 3 Vallees on a single lift pass if you want it. I got

rat
arsed most nights on that holiday with a group I met on lessons and just

out
on the slopes... I can still feel that hangover!!!

Old November 18th 03, 02:15 PM
David Brown :o\)

"Dean Percival" wrote in message
Thanks alot for the advice. I need to do some
surfing now to plan my trip.

Also Andorra is ideal for begineers, very cheap and with a ski school second
to none for and English Speaker. If you do consider this then go to Soldeu
or Pas de la Casa as they are now linked.

HTH, oh and it's a tax free paradise for those that want to purchase
equiptment/beers/fags )

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old November 18th 03, 06:48 PM
Carl_M

"Dean Percival" wrote in message ...
I was just hoping to seek some advice on resorts people would recommend for
a beginner to earn his spurs?

There was a thread recently posted entitled "Best Skiing Resort for a
complete beginner" you will get plenty of ideas there.

I would also suggest that you might get better answers if you provided
more information. Most resorts will cater well to beginners (although
some better than others).

If you are taking children you will want a resort with good children's
facilities and maybe traffic free and/or close to airport.

If you are a party animal you will want a resort with good nightlife.
(If you think after a hard day's skiing you will want to go to bed
straight after dinner you probably wont!)

If you are going with good skiers you will want a resort that will
give them the challenge they need to.

If you are going early or late in the season you will want a resort
that has a good snow record. Do you want to stay in a pretty alpine
village, or would you prefer the conveniance of a 100m walk to the ski
school and skiing to the door of your accomodation at the end of the
day? (This is a compromise you can't really have both)

new board for the newbie ads Snowboarding 5 March 6th 04 10:51 PM
Newbie Binding Setup Question Joe Blanchard Snowboarding 2 February 26th 04 07:57 PM
Newbie Armin Meier Snowboarding 3 February 2nd 04 04:31 PM
newbie! NikkiG Snowboarding 2 January 21st 04 10:35 PM
Newbie Question Will Snowboarding 3 December 11th 03 10:58 PM