Is Bubble Wrap necessary for skis in ski bag?

Old February 22nd 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Charles Jutkins

Default Is Bubble Wrap necessary for skis in ski bag?

When flying?

Old February 22nd 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Charles Jutkins wrote:
When flying?

Which side of the skis do you ski on?
The bottoms, right?

So, use ski straps (velcro) which have
a tab which separate the bases at least
1/8" and hold them firm so they don't
scrub back and forth against each other,
this will be all you need.

If you are anal about the appearance of
the tops, then consider something to
prevent abrasion. Bubble wrap is to
prevent fragile things from breaking.
Skis are not fragile. Or at least they
better not be.
Old February 22nd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Charles Jutkins wrote:
When flying?

Well, I gave you the straight answer before.

If you are flying with your skis on, It might
be wise to wrap yourself with bubble wrap.
Old February 22nd 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Feb 22, 3:42 pm, VtSkier wrote:
Charles Jutkins wrote:
When flying?

I use a couple old gym socks, one over each end of one of the skis,
then strap them together with the velcro straps. I figure that keeps
the bases from scrubbing together under vibration.

Tom

Old February 22nd 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ted Waldron

In article ,
"Charles Jutkins" wrote:

When flying?

Depends on the ski bag padding, the more padding the better, I tend
to put my wool socks in the bag along with a sweater or a pile jacket or
two, besides protecting the bindings and padding the tips and the ends
of the skis. Hard shell ski bags/ski luggage/custom hard shell ski
luggage are the pricier but the way to go if one is travelling long
distance or going overseas during the Austral/Antipodean winter.
Old February 22nd 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Charles Jutkins wrote:
When flying?

Heh. United took a largish (about an inch square) chunk out of my
topskins near the shovel - when I complained they offered to have them
repaired - I just had to give them the skis for a minimum of two weeks,
maybe a month.

A smear of epoxy fixed them fine, protecting the core from moisture, and
I could ski the next day. Don't worry so much.

Skis are a consumable, not an investment. Plan to destroy them in the
pursuit of powder so that the skis wear out in flex about the same time
p-tex patches start falling off the base, and edges rip out.
Old February 23rd 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:17:31 -0800, "Charles Jutkins"
wrote:

When flying?

Nope. Just pack some clothes in around them.

bw
Old February 23rd 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard

wrote:

When flying?

Nope. Just pack some clothes in around them.

Like all your poly-pro base-layer stuff. Makes packing your suitcase
easier too.

Also, I always take my boot bag onto the plane as my carry-on item, and
along with the boots I stuff in one day's worth of base layer and
ski-socks, plus my bib ski pants and goggles. My fleece jacket and
shell I just wear. That way, if the airline screws up on your baggage,
you're equipped for one day's worth of skiing, needing only to rent the
skis.

Dave