Potter Race Pics

Old March 10th 04, 07:50 PM
Marsh Jones

Default Potter Race Pics

32 degrees wrote:

Here he is... in his knicker glory... Jeff Potter !
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/

JK

Gee, Jeff. You've lost that 'fred' look and now just need to find a
pair of real 'woodies' to be set.

Great pics, nice race!

Marsh

Old March 10th 04, 08:35 PM
Diva

I'm really impressed with the sewing skills of you guys making knickers out of trousers. Very creative thinking, and sounds like you all are very clever to figure out sewing techniques when you don't really sew.

I love knickers on guys. I wish the styles of the 1700's -- regular dress styles where the guys wore them with white stockings had never gone out of style. I think they are cute. Knickers are especially cool-looking as xc gear. One question though: aren't they kind of cold with only a pair of woolen socks or two on when the weather is really bad, or you fall and get snow all over you? (Or maybe you don't fall like I do?)

June

"Griss" wrote in message ...

"Leland Yee" wrote
Jeff, I'm reminded of my early days of skiing (started in 1970). Those
Woolrich knickers seemed so expensive, so I went to Goodwill and bought

some
wool slacks. I cut them to the right length, put in a hem and elastic,

and
I had knickers. They were a bit baggy, but they looked pretty good. A

lot
of store-bought knickers were baggy in those days. Sleek fashion had not
hit the trails yet. And then there were the wooden skis, but that is
another thread.

Same here - same era too. Except I found some US Navy wool slacks at
Goodwill - not the ones with the large buttoned flap over the abdomen, but
some with a regular fly and belt loops. They were, of course, navy blue
(almost black) and fit fairly snuggly - didn't look baggy - and were a good
usable weight and weave. I hemmed them with a closure flap made from some
of the scrap material I cut off - with velcro no less. They actually had a
fairly store-bought finish to them (if you didn't look closely at the
sewing). I used them for many years and they were great. I don't have the
pants (they wouldn't fit anyway; I've gained, er, at least an inch since
then), but have several pair of socks, I recently discovered. I'm going to
search out a nice pair of more-or-less racing style knickers like Jeff's.

Griss

Old March 10th 04, 08:47 PM
Diva

OOOOOOOooops. So sorry about the html post. Please forgive. I had my =
settings that way for something else, and I forgot to change them back. =
So sorry.

June

"Diva" wrote in message =
I'm really impressed with the sewing skills of you guys making knickers =
out of trousers. Very creative thinking, and sounds like you all are =
very clever to figure out sewing techniques when you don't really sew.=20

Old March 11th 04, 12:17 AM
Jeff Potter

Diva wrote:

I love knickers on guys. I wish the styles of the 1700's -- regular
dress styles where the guys wore them with white stockings had never
gone out of style. I think they are cute. Knickers are especially
cool-looking as xc gear. One question though: aren't they kind of
cold with only a pair of woolen socks or two on when the weather is
really bad, or you fall and get snow all over you? (Or maybe you don't
fall like I do?)

Aw shucks. I'd try white socks probably. Too bad I don't have buff
calves. But a streamlined look isn't so bad. : ) The stealth approach
is good there. A non-athlete look keeps em guessing.

Lots of ski races are pretty warm 25-35F. I'm glad for the light,
breathable attire. With longjohns on they go down to 15F no problem.
Great range of motion. Unexcelled. I don't fall much. I did put a knee
down last weekend and my sock went down. That wouldn't do so I paused
again to get tidied up. Now, a 40F race might see me in low socks! : )

My sweater is also fine from, uh, say -5F30F. Above 30 I need to figure
out a new top. Thankfully I haven't raced that warm lately. A nice light
top will be nice to find. Hmmm, maybe just a red flannel shirt. That
might be the ticket. Tucked in, of course.

Gotta get some white socks.

Anyone know a good source for knicker socks? I looked A LOT a few years
back and never did find a great source. Many are too coarse.

--

Jeff Potter
****

... offering Vordenberg's XC ski tales in "Momentum"! ...
... "The Recumbent Bicycle": the only book about these bikes! ...
... Rudloe's "Potluck": true-life story of workingclass smuggling! ...

... with radical novels coming up via LiteraryRevolution.com! ...
... music! ... articles! ... travel forums! ... WOW! 800-763-6923

Old March 11th 04, 02:48 AM
Jeff Potter

Marsh Jones wrote:

32 degrees wrote:

Here he is... in his knicker glory... Jeff Potter !
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/

JK

Gee, Jeff. You've lost that 'fred' look and now just need to find a
pair of real 'woodies' to be set.

Fred who?

I'd use wood skis if I could ever find some of the old racing models.
Anyone have an extra set around? 210. I'd use bamboo poles, too. Nice
race models of those, too, please. I presume they had em. I like the
wood touring stuff I have well enough, but I'd prefer to hit the scene
with a race set-up. I'm sure I'd give up a few places, but ya know maybe
not too many... Gotta get some white sox, too. White Sox...hey, maybe
they make white tall socks for baseball or some other sport. ? Looks
come first after all. If they're not wool I think I'll be OK.

Great pics, nice race!

Thanks.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 11th 04, 04:04 AM
George Cleveland

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:48:51 -0500, Jeff Potter
wrote:

Marsh Jones wrote:

32 degrees wrote:

[...]

There have been a couple pairs on eBay this winter. One pair had never
had bindings mounted on it IIRC.

g.c.

Old March 11th 04, 06:22 AM
Erik Brooks

I'd use wood skis if I could ever find some of the old racing

models.
Anyone have an extra set around? 210. I'd use bamboo poles, too.

Nice
race models of those, too, please. I presume they had em.

Would these do?

No connection to seller, etc.

I have a pair of these - very nice. I did my last race of the season
tonight, excepting a season ending fun relay night next Wednesday, and
a bunch of us agreed that next Wednesday, we're doing the woody thing.
I'll be dressed up in a style that Potter will approve of, bamboo
poles, wool knickers, and all.

Erik Brooks, Seattle, where it's 55/65F, and our ski race tonight was
in the 40s

Old March 11th 04, 11:24 AM
Jay Tegeder

Jeff's knicker picture reminds me of my old knicker outfit. I had one
of those fancy polyester Odlo knicker suits. It was blue. I thought I
was pretty cool. I skied the 1984 American Birkebeiner in that suit.
At about the 40K mark, a 5'3", 180 pound woman strided past me going
up a hill. Oh yeah, she was wearing jeans...

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Jeff Potter wrote in message ...
Jay Tegeder wrote:

I now understand why Potter wears retro ski clothing. That is one
stylin outfit Jeff. I'm not joking... That is pretty cool.

Thanks.

I think the other guy's cosmic paintsplash outfit is pretty neat.

A downside to my outfit is that it's a negative strategy activator. I mean that when I pass someone it gets them
all motivated again. This is not what we want.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 11th 04, 02:22 PM
Jeff Potter

Erik Brooks wrote:

I have no idea if these are good for racing. They look 'regular' to me. I
have some touring woodies already. Actually, they have decent camber and
are quite sporty, but there were probably quite a few race models way
back when and I'd like to do it right. I can't tell enough from the ebay
pics here. Madshus Birkies?

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 11th 04, 05:01 PM
Jeff Potter

PS: I thought that the guy in red behind me in the photo looked VERY GOOD in
terms of dynamic position. And I know who he is. Leo Tikh. He's on our NSR
team. But I *didn't* know that he was a former Russian Biathlon Natl team
member. Wow! Cool that I could still be ahead of him at the 8k point. He
finished one place ahead. I think he's my age about.

--

Jeff Potter
****