OT - floyd tests positive for testosterone

Old July 27th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default OT - floyd tests positive for testosterone

complete and pretty good summary on www.velonews.com

still have to test B sample and do endocrinological history to see if its
natural but doesnt sound good

JK

Old July 27th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default help doctors? physiologists? nurse?

OK -- doctors of the group? physiologists??

Could Floyd's testosterone be "naturally" high in some way??

JK

Old July 27th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba

32 degrees wrote:
OK -- doctors of the group? physiologists??

Could Floyd's testosterone be "naturally" high in some way??

JK

After the Finns disaster WADA were talking about a Passport for Elite Athletes which would show a continual testing record so that highs and lows in certain topics would be easily recognised by the athlete, the team and the testing authority.

Then I lost touch. Was this protocol ever developed?
Mike
Old July 28th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Scott Elliot

"32 degrees" wrote in message
OK -- doctors of the group? physiologists??

Could Floyd's testosterone be "naturally" high in some way??

JK

Landis says he is going to engage a Spanish doctor Luis Hernández to prove
it is natural. He has quite a track record of getting people off the hook.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...l06/jul28news2

Somehow I am getting a little sceptical of people who use Spanish doctors
when there are lots of good doctors in their home country.

Old July 28th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Peter H.

My simplistic understanding of testosterone and other
steroids as forbidden substances for athletes is that they
promote muscle growth over a period of maybe weeks of
strength training, and also faster recovery of muscles (over
what kind of time-frame I don't know) from that kind of training.

So, besides hoping (but not expecting) that it's an unfortunate
mistake in the testing, my immediate reaction to the
pink (with embarrassment) Floyd situation
is the following question for any experts he

If you were real tired at 6 PM from a long endurance effort,
and either orally or by muscular injection took some testosterone
then, would it be of any advantage in an endurance effort that started
at noon the next day? If so, what would the advantage be?

Maybe that's not when he took it (assuming he did), but presumably
the tests taken from other days when he had the yellow jersey
showed nothing or that would be known??

Best, Peter

Old July 28th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba

Somehow I am getting a little sceptical of people who use Spanish doctors
when there are lots of good doctors in their home country.

He shares an apartment in Girona, Spain and trains in that region.
Old July 28th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

32 degrees wrote:
OK -- doctors of the group? physiologists??

Could Floyd's testosterone be "naturally" high in some way??

JK

i am not a physiologist, but... one would need to know the numbers -
exactly how "high".

Then I could look up in a medical database and see by how much the ##
vary naturally in the male population. Some males do have "higher"
testosteron levels. These males are easy to identify when a traffic
light turns green on a mult-lane street.

Old July 28th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

schreef in bericht
ps.com...

i am not a physiologist, but... one would need to know the numbers -
exactly how "high".

Then I could look up in a medical database and see by how much the ##
vary naturally in the male population. Some males do have "higher"
testosteron levels. These males are easy to identify when a traffic
light turns green on a mult-lane street.

Apparently 6 TdF samples were tested from Landis, and only one is considered
odd.

Old July 31st 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Anders

Peter H. kirjoitti:

If you were real tired at 6 PM from a long endurance effort,
and either orally or by muscular injection took some testosterone
then, would it be of any advantage in an endurance effort that started
at noon the next day? If so, what would the advantage be?

FWIW a Finnish anti-doping doc made the general suggestion that this
kind of positive test result could have come as a huge surprise to the
athlete and his team if and when he was given a blood transfusion for
recovery and performance gain and, as I understood it, when he/ had
been given a testosterone boost before collecting the blood used for
that transfusion.

I do not really follow cycling, but it appeared to me that Landis
delivered a performance that wouldn't have paled in comparison to
Mühlegg in Salt Lake City and that he had done very poorly on the
previous stage. Therefore I wasn't too surprised, but admittedly I
don't know enough about normal or abnormal but still natural variation
of the testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio in elite male endurance
athletes to write this comment...

Anders

Old July 31st 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Matt

Floyd's failed test was a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone, where
4:1 equals failure. There are two ways to raise this ratio. Increase

testosterone levels OR decrease epitestosterone levels.

Does anyone here know what could cause the levels of epitestosterone to
drop, as compared to the testosterone levels being increased?

Thanks,
Matt