TDFrance - OT

Old July 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default TDFrance - OT

That climb today made Floyd Landis suffer.
No American on the podium this year - bummer.
We might not have it in skiing but we do have it in cycling - wonder why?
There are certainly not that many cyclist in the US ? More than skiers?
Wonder how those numbers jive out.

JK

Old July 20th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Marsh Jones

32 degrees wrote:
That climb today made Floyd Landis suffer.
No American on the podium this year - bummer.
We might not have it in skiing but we do have it in cycling - wonder why?
There are certainly not that many cyclist in the US ? More than skiers?
Wonder how those numbers jive out.

JK

Not over yet - IMHO, anyone in the top 12 could still win this thing.
Tomorrow is no walk in the park. I've changed my mind on who will win
about 20 times now, but I'll go with Sastre or Kloden. Not willing to
call it without a hedge. Landis gave it his all, and was man enough to
talk about it afterwards. Nice to see that champions don't always have
to win.

MJ
Old July 20th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Flom

"32 degrees" wrote in message
That climb today made Floyd Landis suffer.
No American on the podium this year - bummer.
We might not have it in skiing but we do have it in cycling - wonder why?
There are certainly not that many cyclist in the US ? More than skiers?
Wonder how those numbers jive out.

U.S. skiing has no LANCE of course. It does have Bode Miller though.

There were just under 38,000 licensed racers last year in USA cycling.

--
Jim Flom
"There's more in you than you think."

Old July 20th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:20:14 -0400, "32 degrees"
wrote:

That climb today made Floyd Landis suffer.
No American on the podium this year - bummer.
We might not have it in skiing but we do have it in cycling - wonder why?

Better and more systematic doping by at least some top American
cyclists.

Better infrastucture for the sport in the US -- with several pro teams
with salaries, varying from enough to live on to substantial amounts
of money.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 20th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Flom

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote...

Better infrastucture for the sport in the US -- with several pro teams
with salaries, varying from enough to live on to substantial amounts
of money.

Define infrastructure. The USOC certainly has to be doing all it can to
cultivate new skiers. Sheer numbers of participants has to have something
to do with it.

Old July 20th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:33:03 GMT, "Jim Flom"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote...

Better infrastucture for the sport in the US -- with several pro teams
with salaries, varying from enough to live on to substantial amounts
of money.

Define infrastructure.

Teams, clubs and races. Way way more in bike racing.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 20th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Stefan Drueke

am 19.07.06 schrieb 32 degrees :

That climb today made Floyd Landis suffer.
No American on the podium this year - bummer.

But he showed how to come back today. Landis will be on the podium on
Sunday. The only question is who of the favorites will have the yellow
jersey in Paris this year. Now there are only 30 secounds between the
first tree rides.

Old July 20th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
WasGitchi

I think the real question is: What is wrong with the fans of x-c
skiing?

At work today, I shouted as I read the race reports on velo news. I
told my co-workers that my project finally compiled.

One of the best articles I have read about a cyclist.
http://outside.away.com/outside/feat...-landis-1.html

Notable quotes:

'Landis turned to address the peloton. "You want more of that,
mother****ers?" he asked loudly. "Because if you do, we've got
plenty."" '

and my personal favorite..
"If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to
handle that level of training," Landis says, his fingertip rapping the
table for emphasis. "So you weren't overtrained; you were actually
undertrained to begin with."

Also good...
http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefranc...4734-1,00.html

Old July 21st 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

THanks for the numbers there Jim Flom !
38,000 licensed racers hmmmmmm.... thats a LOT !! Damn !
What a huge pool the cycling movement in the USA has to choose from.
Certainly we don't have 38,000 "licensed type" skiers out there ! I'd guess
we have less than 2000-3000 seriously racing XC skiers in the USA ???

think my numbers are close there??
JK

Old July 24th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
DMK

I think the 'licensed' number can be misleading. Don't many cycling events
require you to get a license? Even if that will be your only race?

JK how do you define 'serious'? I think most Birkie skiers that are in
waves E-4 would probably be considered 'serious' in that they care about
their results and take steps to improve their results. If that analagy
works, you've got roughly 2000 'serious' skiers just in the Birkie. Across
the country I would think the number would be around 5000 but still just a
wild guess.

Skiing will never have as many potential great athletes as cycling. Anyone
in the US can get into cycling and find a race within an easy drive. Only a
small percentage of people in the US live in an area where they have the
opportunity to get in XC. A very small percentage live close to reliable
snow. The pool we draw from is small.

I could go on but I better stop. Just think JK, in 6 months we begin
fretting over wax for the Noquemanon.

DMK

"32 degrees" wrote in message
THanks for the numbers there Jim Flom !
38,000 licensed racers hmmmmmm.... thats a LOT !! Damn !
What a huge pool the cycling movement in the USA has to choose from.
Certainly we don't have 38,000 "licensed type" skiers out there ! I'd
guess we have less than 2000-3000 seriously racing XC skiers in the USA
???