K2 Chinch Binding

Old November 19th 04, 04:21 PM
bri719

Christopher Cox wrote:

Hello Arvin,

My son was constantly unbuckling his Burton flad at the lift. If he
did not, yes the highback would get jammed under the chair. Because of
this constant unbuckling and buckling of the flad, it loosened up and
eventually came loose during a run. Burton's excellent service center
replaced the lost item, but I still question the design.

call me ignorant but what's a flad??

I've been boarding for 4-5 years and never heard of one.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old November 19th 04, 04:33 PM
id

bri719 wrote:
Christopher Cox wrote:

My son was constantly unbuckling his Burton flad at the lift. If he

call me ignorant but what's a flad??

Forward Lead Adjustment. Some of them lock so the highback can't be
folded down without unlocking - the claimed benefit is quicker heelside
response.

Iain
Old November 19th 04, 04:44 PM
bri719

id wrote:

Forward Lead Adjustment. Some of them lock so the highback can't be
folded down without unlocking - the claimed benefit is quicker
heelside response.

yeah, I know what you mean now...I just didn't figure out the whole
lock/unlock mechanism (never used one like that)

thanks

Old November 19th 04, 05:02 PM
Switters

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:55:08 GMT, "lonerider" allegedly wrote:

Is that really a problem? I mean I understand how the binding could be
crushed if the chair was to close to the snow, but does it happen that
often? Burton highbacks lock into place, and I don't recall anyone
unlocking them to get on the lift, so that could be a problem for a lot
of bindings if the clearance is that low. I always assumed it was the
resort's job to clear the snow away to prevent this - not an
insignificant task in areas that get heavy snowfall I'm sure. Anyone
else have experience on this?

Yup, Jackson Hole has a couple where they warn snowboarders to flatten
the rear binding. I reflected on the inconvenience of it in a post
to the group after buying some Burton Missions.

Here we go:
http://www.google.com/groups?selm=Xn...0130.1 33.1.4

Found the same at Baker, and the odd chair here and there but can't
remember where. Maybe you're spoilt by all that Californian hospitatily?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old November 19th 04, 06:08 PM
id

id wrote:

I've lost 2 highbacks to chair crunching: a Drake F60 and a Burton P1MD.

A minor correction: the Burton dealer said I'd weakened or broken the
P1MD on the chair - it was the rear binding. I wasn't convinced.
Replaced under warranty though
I was in a very nasty place when I noticed it had failed: halfway down a
gully on an afternoon that was far too hot. I hate it to be warm when
I'm snowboarding! But this gully was thawing and the snow was gradually
turning to a rock/snow mixture. What was scarey was that rocks way up
the gully were loosening from the snow and bounding down the gully - my
buddies shouted a warning as a rock bigger than my head came down and
whistled past far to close.
Not a good place to hang around with broken kit. Fortunately it wasn't
too hard to ride on with the broken rear highback...

Iain
Old November 19th 04, 06:31 PM
lonerider

allegedly wrote:

Yup, Jackson Hole has a couple where they warn snowboarders to

flatten
the rear binding. I reflected on the inconvenience of it in a post
to the group after buying some Burton Missions.

Here we go:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=Xn...0130.1 33.1.4

I vaguely remember that post. By then I had already switched my Burton
Missions for a pair of Salomon SP4 Shaped.

Found the same at Baker, and the odd chair here and there but can't
remember where. Maybe you're spoilt by all that Californian

hospitatily?

Possibly, I was always impressed at how the places here in Tahoe manage
to maintain the chair clearance despite having foot after foot of snow
so the chairlift weren't at our ankles (but didn't consider that if
they didn't do that, my highback could get smushed). Before that I
mainly rode on the East Coast, where we don't get much natural snow =]
Also I rode Clickers and Clicker HB for a long time so all I required
was 2 cm of clearance.

I vaguely recall a few "low" clearance lifts here and there (outside of
all the resorts in New England and Lake Tahoe, I've only been to
Breckenridge, Copper and Whistler/Blackcomb), and my highbacks on my
Clicker HB being pushed down (with slight irritation because I couldn't
immediately step in riding off the lift) but I guess I never really
though about it to put two and two together until now =]

--Arvin

Old November 19th 04, 06:37 PM
lonerider

id wrote:
Saim Kim wrote:

True about the website! I checked to find all ansers BUT, nope

can`t do!
Well, I found a German website with a nice Videoclip from this

years Winter
ISPO in Munich (Sports fair). You can check it he
http://www.snowboardmagazin.de/bilde...O/K2/video.mpg

Besides
here are some good pictures (you have to scroll down, though):

http://www.snowboardmagazin.de/threa...ser=0&pag e=1

Now tell me, what you think about it now. I`m about to get me some

of these!

These may be convenient in-bounds but they can be a real liability
back-country for 3 reasons:
1) They'll be very difficult to put on on a steep slope because the

high
back lays back. Sometimes the the only place to put your board on is
confined, steep and icey: you can't walk further because of the risk

of
slipping. You want to be putting the board on whilst sitting on the
slope with the board below you and heelside edge engaged in the snow.

These binding won't let you do that. Trying to put the board on

toeside
in these condtions is scarey/impossible

They look very slick and may work well for many people - I just want

point out there are some drawbacks
Iain

I could be wrong, because it would seem to me that with the K2 Cinch,
if it was a sketchy situation like the one mentioned above, you could
leave the highback up, and just strap in normally - using the
convenient step-in feature for less intense situations. I mean that's
why these bindings are supposedly "better" than the Flows.

I agree about be worried about the durability of the design, but we
just need to get some guinea pigs to go buy them and try them out for a
few seasons =]

--Arvin

Old November 19th 04, 06:42 PM
lonerider

id wrote:
id wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up, while I no longer have Burton Missions, I did
pick up a pair of P1MDs on Ebay for $70 to go with my Burton Fish. I've
only ridden on them once, but they don't look like they have a "locking
highback" design like the other Burton bindings. I set the forward lean
to the max on both bindings, but only the front binding doesn't fold
down and I think that's because the highback is too close to the
heelcup to rotate (I noted this fact with some annoyance again as I
tried to fold the highbacks down on my car rack - if you notice I
unconsciously note a lot of details that my brain never really bothers
to process =]) I'll have to be careful cuz I'll probably be pulling out
the Fish/P1MDs for big dumps... exactly when the lift clearances might
be a little lower than usual.

--Arvin

Old November 19th 04, 07:52 PM
id

lonerider wrote:

I could be wrong, because it would seem to me that with the K2 Cinch,
if it was a sketchy situation like the one mentioned above, you could
leave the highback up, and just strap in normally - using the
convenient step-in feature for less intense situations. I mean that's
why these bindings are supposedly "better" than the Flows.

You're right. That fixes problem 1

Iain
Old November 19th 04, 07:59 PM
id

lonerider wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, while I no longer have Burton Missions, I did
pick up a pair of P1MDs on Ebay for $70 to go with my Burton Fish. I've
only ridden on them once, but they don't look like they have a "locking
highback" design like the other Burton bindings. I set the forward lean
to the max on both bindings, but only the front binding doesn't fold
down and I think that's because the highback is too close to the
heelcup to rotate (I noted this fact with some annoyance again as I
tried to fold the highbacks down on my car rack - if you notice I
unconsciously note a lot of details that my brain never really bothers
to process =]) I'll have to be careful cuz I'll probably be pulling out
the Fish/P1MDs for big dumps... exactly when the lift clearances might
be a little lower than usual.

P1MD are my most comfortable bindings to date. But I don't like the lack
of strength in that extra hinge that allows independent forward lean
adjustment - replaced now with a flexible piece of plastic in the latest
incarnation.
I've always found that you have to compromise between setting the the
highbacks parallel to the edges and still allowing the highback to fold
down.
The P1MD should lock if you set them up right - they sort of snap into
position. And you can give them a smack to make the fold down before
getting on the lift.
Now, shouldn't you be developing software? And I better go find my wife :-)

Iain