strap-ons

Old December 18th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
KENT

Default strap-ons

Hello all,
First time here. This group was recommended to me by Gene in the nordic
group.
My wife and I are very novice cc skiers. We really love this sport. I'm
having a problem with sore feet. I have Alpina 1550 boots. After just 10 to
15 mins. my feet are killing me. I'd like to know if someone makes what
would essentially be a boot bottom that would strap on my very comfortable
insulated work boots and then clip into Rottefella nnn bindings.
Thanks,
Bill

Old December 18th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
VtSkier

KENT wrote:
Hello all,
First time here. This group was recommended to me by Gene in the nordic
group.
My wife and I are very novice cc skiers. We really love this sport. I'm
having a problem with sore feet. I have Alpina 1550 boots. After just 10 to
15 mins. my feet are killing me. I'd like to know if someone makes what
would essentially be a boot bottom that would strap on my very comfortable
insulated work boots and then clip into Rottefella nnn bindings.
Thanks,
Bill

I'm waiting with baited breath for someone to
respond to this in a serious way.
Old December 18th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
KENT

LOL Vt!!
I realize this probably sounds really stupid. Maybe there has never been
anything like this made.
I can't believe I'm the only one that gets sore feet from ski boots. So, I'm
serious. Looking for serious responses.

Old December 18th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Hal Murray

I can't believe I'm the only one that gets sore feet from ski boots. So, I'm
serious. Looking for serious responses.

What kind of "sore"? Are they too tight? Are they poking or pinching
in a particular spot or maybe just too tight all over?

Are your boots the right size? Do you have funny feet? ...

Try talking to a good boot person at a ski shop.

In general, "very comfortable insulated work boots" are probably
too sloppy for good skiing.

Old December 18th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
VtSkier

KENT wrote:
LOL Vt!!
I realize this probably sounds really stupid. Maybe there has never been
anything like this made.
I can't believe I'm the only one that gets sore feet from ski boots. So, I'm
serious. Looking for serious responses.

Actually so am I.

I use a pair of slightly modified, lightweight
telemark boots for "heavy" touring. They work
with both tele bindings and AT bindings (I never
really got the hang of going downhill fast with
free heels), and I have a pair of snowshoes
that are compatible with any ski boot, they
have crampon bindings.

I use AT boots for general resort skiing and a
little off-piste work.

Both of these are wonderfully comfortable.
The latter go on at 7:30AM and come off at 5PM
with no adjustment or removal through the day.

I have yet to find a pair of cross country boots
which are actually comfortable. I think a great
deal of the discomfort is from a lack of support
in favor of "lightweight".

A huge number of years ago, I used to do some
surveying work. We often did this in winter. I
modified some bindings to work with my wonderfully
comfortable, insulated work boots. I moved the
sides in and added a toe strap for security and
the cable fit ok at the heel.

I used this setup for working in the woods, on
hillsides, in winter. I could move fast with
normal cross country skis (narrow) and the
boots still fit snowshoes when they were needed
for steeper work.

I'm a big guy, I don't race and bit more beef
in my footwear is generally a good thing.

If I did more cross-country or still worked
in the woods in winter, I would consider a
pair of "traditional" leather telemark boots.
They are still made and used both here and
in Europe.
Old December 18th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Eugene Miya

I can't believe I'm the only one that gets sore feet from ski boots. So, I'm
serious. Looking for serious responses.

That's lots of people.

Will Steiger, the guys who did ski circuses to both Poles and lives in
MN made some sort of plastic binding for use with his mukluks, but don't
expect much kick and glide. I tried them once years ago because they
were around, but I preferred my 75 mm set up, and I didn't get blisters or
cold feet.

In article ,
Hal Murray wrote:
What kind of "sore"? Are they too tight? Are they poking or pinching
in a particular spot or maybe just too tight all over?
Are your boots the right size? Do you have funny feet? ...
Try talking to a good boot person at a ski shop.
In general, "very comfortable insulated work boots" are probably
too sloppy for good skiing.

I can't imagine a sloppier boot than a Steiger mukluk.
I wore my Sorels into work just because I can into and out of them.

Old December 18th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
dardruba

Hello Kent
The word strap-on has a more popular use in a different sport.

Is it your intention to ski in prepared machine cut trails or are you hoping
to break trail and do skitouring in the backcountry.
For intrack skiing definitely trawl the outfitters for advice and buy a comfortable
pair of new or used boots.

For touring you need to be looking in a different direction.
My first touring boots and skis for travel in Peter Clich country were ex British
Military issue, before I got interested in track and racing skiing.
The boots were plain walking/working type boots with Vibram soles. The skis had a
unique binding, the welt at the toe slid into two lips either side of the toeplate.
There was a cable looped round the heel of the boot which clamped into a
QR binding on the ski in front of the toe plate and held the boot in the two lips.

I've no idea what the military use these days but I presume they must have a
binding which grips a walking/working boot.
If so that should work on your boots.

Mike
Old December 19th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Booker Bense

In article ,
dardruba wrote:

I've no idea what the military use these days but I presume they must have a
binding which grips a walking/working boot.
If so that should work on your boots.

I believe it's called a NATO binding for obvious
reasons. Rottefella makes it, Model 120. I think.

I think the OP would be a lot better off switching to
a different boot maker. Not everybody has alpina shaped
feet, the other XC boots have a significantly different fit.

For example, Alpina's kill my feet, but I'm perfectly happy in
Rossignol boots.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old December 19th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
VtSkier

Booker Bense wrote:
In article ,
dardruba wrote:

I've no idea what the military use these days but I presume they must have a
binding which grips a walking/working boot.
If so that should work on your boots.

I believe it's called a NATO binding for obvious
reasons. Rottefella makes it, Model 120. I think.

There is also a US military binding made by Ramer
(I think that's the manufacturer). They sometimes
come on ebay. I bought a set for about $25. Haven't
mounted them up yet as we have had a few dry winters.

This winter is beginning to shape up nicely though,
and I plan to have a lot less work on my house to do.

The Ramer bindings look like they can be made to fit
most anything. They were the binding of choice for
alpine touring 30 years ago. There was an article
in Powder last year about some early alpine touring
(1970's) and the gear they were using was mountaineering
boots, long skis and military bindings.

Heavy weight stuff to be sure, but might suit your
needs in the binding department as least.

Old December 19th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Peter Clinch

Booker Bense wrote:

I think the OP would be a lot better off switching to
a different boot maker. Not everybody has alpina shaped
feet, the other XC boots have a significantly different fit.

Wot Booker says...

Just like walking boots, and most other sorts of footwear, the fit is a
very personal thing with everyone's feet different, and every
manufacturer's lasts (and consequently boot shape) different too.

The way to assess the right boots is try on a selection. Sod's Law
suggests that if you've got NNN bindings at the moment then Salomons (or
some other SNS compatible boot) will fit beautifully, and if that's the
case then spend a few dollars more and change your bindings to SNS.
SNS/NNN is a kind of GM or Ford thing, they both work fine, but the boot
is reliant on good shape relative to your foot.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Strap on bindings? KENT Nordic Skiing 9 December 19th 07 01:55 PM
Strap binding durability? Paul Snowboarding 9 January 27th 04 11:11 PM
technie toe strap some dude Snowboarding 0 January 11th 04 07:45 PM
Strap Creep Justin F. Knotzke Nordic Skiing 7 January 8th 04 12:37 AM
A strap is a strap Anders Lustig Nordic Skiing 10 December 19th 03 04:23 PM