& Backcountry ski-board-climb-hike entrance controls..any ? 5/8/06

Old May 9th 06, 03:09 PM

Default & Backcountry ski-board-climb-hike entrance controls..any ? 5/8/06

Trying to survey and publish what controls, if any, exist in USA and/or
Canada re subject.
If contols do exist:
1 What are they,
2 Who enforces whatever controls their are,
3 Is pass/fee/photo registeration required,
3 What penalties are mandated: warning citation, fines, jail-time, etc.
4 Who pays for the rescue expenses of search personnel, snowmobiles,
trucks, helicopter services, EMT, police and hospital services.
5 State of Nevada created back-country control legislation last year
which imposed both a fine and jail-time. Results so far have been
inconclusive for many reasons.

Help/suggestions much appreciated.

Old May 10th 06, 10:09 PM

In article ,
Aj 427 wrote:
Trying to survey and publish what controls, if any, exist in USA and/or

Already has been publisheg.
Canada re subject.
If contols do exist:
1 What are they,

If US land is not private, the major land agencies include:
USDA
USFS
USDOI
USNPS
BLM
Individual States
USDOD
Other
2 Who enforces whatever controls their are,

Rangers of the USFS and USNPS can be law enforcement, but
usually the BLM are not. As a default, most enforcement takes place
at the county level.
3 Is pass/fee/photo registeration required,

Rarely. The usual exceptions tend to be highly frequented National
Parks, some Forests near heavy traffic urban areas, etc.
It is typically easy to find out.
3 What penalties are mandated: warning citation, fines, jail-time, etc.

Warnings tend to be at the disgression of the enforcing officer.
Various Civil or local codes determine fines, etc.
All this is challengeable and in fact is daily in courts.
4 Who pays for the rescue expenses of search personnel, snowmobiles,
trucks, helicopter services, EMT, police and hospital services.

Most search personnel are volunteers in the US. The exception are the
few military and coast guard personnel for martime reasons. EMTs,
police, hospitals are either which ever jurisdiction, commonly a
county-level sheriff unless in a National Park for instance paid by
county, state, or Federal govt.
Some states have insurance from hunting fees. Others depend on you
having health insurance. This is all in flux.
If a rescuee is particularly asshole about it, they will get billed.

5 State of Nevada created back-country control legislation last year
which imposed both a fine and jail-time. Results so far have been
inconclusive for many reasons.

More specifics than this are needed.

Help/suggestions much appreciated.

Spend some time in libraries and read up on land history and policies.

The US has comparative few controls.

Canada: contact places like Environment Canada.

Old May 11th 06, 01:30 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:
3 What penalties are mandated: warning citation, fines, jail-time, etc.

Warnings tend to be at the disgression of the enforcing officer.
Various Civil or local codes determine fines, etc.
All this is challengeable and in fact is daily in courts.

It may be worth noting that on some NPS lands, a program is in effect
whereby sophisticated monitoring equipment is used to watch campers
and they're behavior. Plan accordingly. Do not carry, condone,
partake, or even think about dreaming of being anywhere near
contraband. Unless you have a grand to give to the cause. HTH.

-klaus

Old May 15th 06, 04:04 PM

(Eugene Miya) wrote in news:446264b1$1@darkstar:

In article ,
Aj 427 wrote:
Trying to survey and publish what controls, if any, exist in USA
and/or

Already has been publisheg.
Canada re subject.
If contols do exist:

2 Who enforces whatever controls their are,

Rangers of the USFS and USNPS can be law enforcement, but
usually the BLM are not. As a default, most enforcement takes
place at the county level.

Yep, seems to be that the Sheriff handles this stuff along w/ S&R in the
US.

3 Is pass/fee/photo registeration required,

Rarely. The usual exceptions tend to be highly frequented
National Parks, some Forests near heavy traffic urban areas, etc.
It is typically easy to find out.

Some places you need registration, handled by the USFS:
http://www.kachinapeaks.org/photo_ga...p/DSCN2347.jpg

Other places you're simply on your own:
http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/...e/Crayons2.jpg

3 What penalties are mandated: warning citation, fines, jail-time,
etc.

Warnings tend to be at the disgression of the enforcing officer.
Various Civil or local codes determine fines, etc.
All this is challengeable and in fact is daily in courts.

When you cross a "Closed" boundary, it's about $350 here in Summit Co., Xxxx.

Canada: contact places like Environment Canada.

Outside of crossing "Closed" boundaries, it appears that in Canada, you can go just about anywhere you wish. Of course there could be temporary wildlife closures/public safety, etc..

Bob Lee wrote in
:

formerly BLM Bob

Retired already? Thinking about moving to a snowier climate or planning
on consulting? Our road to the High Country is opening soon...still plenty of snow up high.

-K
Old May 15th 06, 06:16 PM

contols

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
It is typically easy to find out.

Some places you need registration, handled by the USFS:
http://www.kachinapeaks.org/photo_ga...p/DSCN2347.jpg
Other places you're simply on your own:
http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/...e/Crayons2.jpg

Nice skulls and cross bones.
Hadn't seen nearly as many of those in CA.
I did get a nice sign with skull and cross bones at the Franz Josef glacier
in NZ. No hurry to scan it.

I've collected out of bounds signs in various parts of the Alps.
1st, they have to be multilingual (typically 4 at a minimum [welcome
signs I've seen in 6 languages, Chinese being the most recent one]).

A good campaign for avalanches has snowboards as head stones.

3 What penalties are mandated: warning citation, fines, jail-time,

When you cross a "Closed" boundary, it's about $350 here in Summit Co., Xxxx.

It depends here. The PCT goes by several resorts here. We have huts
from a prior era. Tracks are certainly a problem. But there are
general fines.

Canada: contact places like Environment Canada.

Outside of crossing "Closed" boundaries, it appears that in Canada, you can go just about anywhere you wish. Of course there could be temporary wildlife closures/public safety, etc..

What? No Canadian equivalent to Area 51?

Canada is too unpopulated to enforce things.
Let the Polar bears eat the trust passers. Hey Ed, another PB brochure
in the mail to you from my climbing parter Dave (he has been to Churchill).

Bob Lee wrote in
BLM Bob

Retired already? Thinking about moving to a snowier climate or planning

Oh you never fully ever leave the BLM. ;^)

Old May 16th 06, 12:22 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:
I've collected out of bounds signs in various parts of the Alps.
1st, they have to be multilingual (typically 4 at a minimum [welcome
signs I've seen in 6 languages, Chinese being the most recent one]).

The number of languages has no effect on the efficacy. At least at
Canyons. Unless you have a language for New Jersey. Until they
understand "windloading", you can put it up there in Martian. Won't
matter.

-klaus

Old May 16th 06, 02:59 AM

Bob Lee wrote:

Got a trip to Maui tomorrow, then I'm thinking of hitting some 14ers
north of here.

Gonna join the Shasta hordes?
Old May 16th 06, 01:28 PM

Eugene Miya wrote:
Let the Polar bears eat the trust passers. Hey Ed, another PB brochure
in the mail to you from my climbing parter Dave (he has been to Churchill).

Thanks, the other one with the snowcoaches/hotels looks like a
tourism industry. Lots of PBs to watch though.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old May 16th 06, 01:49 PM

klaus wrote in news:e4b5vu$jiq$1
@xmission.xmission.com:

Eugene Miya wrote:
I've collected out of bounds signs in various parts of the Alps.
1st, they have to be multilingual (typically 4 at a minimum [welcome
signs I've seen in 6 languages, Chinese being the most recent one]).

The number of languages has no effect on the efficacy. At least at
Canyons. Unless you have a language for New Jersey. Until they
understand "windloading", you can put it up there in Martian. Won't
matter.

Go out to the parking lot
And ya get in your car
And ya drive real far
And ya drive all night
And then ya see a light
And it comes right down
And lands on the ground
And out comes a man from Mars
And ya try to run
But he's got a gun
And he shoots ya dead
And he eats your head

'Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin' cars and eatin' bars
And now he only eats guitars

Road Stat:
MP 20 ~Cobblerest

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 01:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 03:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM