new to snowboarding

Old January 4th 06, 12:09 AM

Just my observation, the more time you have spent skiing, the harder
it is to pick up snowboarding.
Why?
Well of course you wouldn't know, YOU weren't an advanced skiier
trying snowboarding!
I skied well over 400days before trying snowboarding. Mainly 4 years
of season's passes to Squaw, hanging with the mid '70's bump team,
easily non stopped WestFace when it's volkwagan sized moguls. Have
nonstoped Gunbarrel, but that's max for my aerobics.
Quit for a few years, gear got outdated, then got a job at a
windsurf/snowboard shop. Guess what, you gotta be able to snowboard to
sell snowboard gear!
I crashed and caught edges whole 2 hour first day.
A week later, second day at BearValley, could ride the whole upper
mountain without falling, including some remedial moguls off the
ridges.
Once again, my surfing friends learn snowboarding much faster than I
did. They could ride most of intermediate resorts the first few
runs....EVER! That's because they don't need to face forward in snow,
they face sideways surfing all the time!
A skier has a natural tendency to face straight down the hill and
angulate the lower body to go across the hill, you know, fall line
skiing.
That's not how snowboarding is done until you get past the beginner
stage.

Old January 4th 06, 12:31 AM

LeeD wrote:
A skier has a natural tendency to face straight down the hill and
angulate the lower body to go across the hill, you know, fall line
skiing.

I saw a very good skier try to wakeboard this summer. It was absolutely
hilarious. He was travelling sideways. LOL!!!!!
Old January 4th 06, 03:13 AM

How fast are you going when you do such a roll ? If you don't use your
arm to break your fall, are you in danger of hitting your head ? I
think if I fall at high speed whatever natural (instinctive) knee jerk
reaction I have like sticking out my hand might kick in and screw me
up. I'm glad you guys are filling me in on all this stuff, I can
imagine how you could easily get hurt.

Would it be wise to practice falling at slower speed by trying alot of
manuevers that might help you learn to manuever but also increase your
chances of learning to fall better ?

Sounds like you really need a helmet ? My sis says skiiers don't need
helmets and didn't think snowboarders would. Are there many helmet
options such as a soft helmet that can be packed easier and is more
cushiony like a surfiing helmet for rocks ? Would a hard football type
helmet be best ?

Thanks

Old January 4th 06, 10:24 AM

surf wrote:

Would it be wise to practice falling at slower speed by trying alot of
manuevers that might help you learn to manuever but also increase your
chances of learning to fall better ?

I think you'll be practicing this whether you like it or not

Old January 4th 06, 10:35 AM

surf wrote:

Sounds like you really need a helmet ? My sis says skiiers don't need
helmets and didn't think snowboarders would. Are there many helmet
options such as a soft helmet that can be packed easier and is more
cushiony like a surfiing helmet for rocks ? Would a hard football type
helmet be best ?

I think all snowboarding helmets are the hard variety. I've never seen
soft ones. You don't really need one as a beginner. You only really need
one when you start going off-piste where there is a risk of rocks, or
when you start learning rails/jumps. Saying that, it won't do any harm
to get one if you don't mind spending the money.

Many people don't use them though, and I've heared some nasty stories
about injuries/deaths that could have been prevented if they'd been
wearing one.
Old January 4th 06, 10:41 AM

Octessence wrote:

Many people don't use them though, and I've heared some nasty stories
about injuries/deaths that could have been prevented if they'd been
wearing one.

Just found this with google. Looks interesting:

http://www.ski-injury.com/helmet.htm

Old January 4th 06, 11:09 AM

On 3 Jan 2006 16:09:00 -0800, "LeeD" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. Sounds to me like you picked it up real quickly compared to
most beginner snowboarders.

(PS: why is everyone removing all context to what they're replying to
here nowadays?)
--
Champ
Old January 4th 06, 12:05 PM

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:09:00 GMT, "LeeD" allegedly
wrote:

Once again, my surfing friends learn snowboarding much faster than I
did. They could ride most of intermediate resorts the first few
runs....EVER! That's because they don't need to face forward in snow,
they face sideways surfing all the time!

Being comfortable going sideways is a tiny aid to learning snowboarding.
As an experienced surfer it helped me not one bit when I first tried
boarding. I didn't know about edge control and different snow conditions
etc.

Every experienced skier I know that converted to boarding found it easier
than boarders with no previous snow experience.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 4th 06, 12:08 PM

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:09:11 GMT, Champ allegedly
wrote:

(PS: why is everyone removing all context to what they're replying to
here nowadays?)

It's all the numpties using google groups. They seem to think this
newsgroup is actually part of google (witness recent references to a post
by a number, like 219!)

It would seem that google has a crappy interface that doesn't include the
clicking that extra toggle button is too much to ask.

Welcome to the newest era of usenet.

Old January 4th 06, 12:14 PM

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:35:40 GMT, Octessence
allegedly wrote:

I think all snowboarding helmets are the hard variety. I've never seen
soft ones. You don't really need one as a beginner. You only really need
one when you start going off-piste where there is a risk of rocks, or
when you start learning rails/jumps. Saying that, it won't do any harm
to get one if you don't mind spending the money.

Can't say I agree. A normal piste can be rock hard in the right
conditions, and not something you would want to hit your head on. If
someone wants to wear a helmet, then they might as well wear it all the
time.

Many people don't use them though,

So far this year, I think there's been a big change. I was out in
Switzerland recently and there seems to be a huge increase in the amount
of people wearing them, skiers and boarders, young and old. I'd say it
was 50% if not more.

And in North America I'd say the majority wear them already. At least on
the hills I've been to.