Mpeg Races hit the end of the road?

Old June 11th 05, 06:17 PM
nordvind

A little voice in the wilderness: I am but newly arrived and have
only just learned of this wondrous download site of Janne's that is no
more, and I stand here wrenching my hands and fisting tears from my
eyes..........ooooooooo!

Old June 16th 05, 01:23 PM
32 degrees

Just went to Janne's site and i see the regular stuff is already gone too

Old June 17th 05, 04:31 PM
32 degrees

PS - THANKS, YOU KNOW WHAT FOR

Old June 21st 05, 02:59 AM
Dave Anderson

If people are serious about keeping the mpeg race videos available. I
know of three natural choices that would be less costly than running a
dedicated and centralized ftp server.

1. newsgroups
By uploading the files as binaries to a newsgroup they can be
downloaded off of a newsgroup server. Newsgroup service is provided
with many internet service providers (comcast users get 2GB of transfer
monthly) or can be purchased for under $10/month depending on speed and
bandwidth requirements.
In my opinion this would be the best option since it wouldn't require
any of us to provide the server space or bandwidth for the file
transfers.

2. IRC - Internet Relay Chat.
A lot of groups who release bootleg videos set up chat channels where
individuals' personal computers host the files and provide the
bandwidth for the transfers. This has the advantage of allowing the
files to be hosted by a larger number of people and dividing up the
server load.
**I set up an irc channel on the server: "irc.rizon.net" called
"#ski-vids" which I'm trying to set up a fileserver of the races I
still have downloaded**
See http://divxstation.com/comm/thread.asp?i=14&t=9935&r=12 for a brief
instruction on using IRC.

3. Bittorrent or the like.
Bad idea, this method is very slow and would require a large number of
people to be permanently on-line and uploading the videos. In my
opinion this is the worst of the three options.

Just my opinion on the whole thing, please don't flame me.

Old June 21st 05, 06:42 AM
Janne G

Dave Anderson wrote:
If people are serious about keeping the mpeg race videos available. I
know of three natural choices that would be less costly than running a
dedicated and centralized ftp server.

1. newsgroups
By uploading the files as binaries to a newsgroup they can be
downloaded off of a newsgroup server. Newsgroup service is provided
with many internet service providers (comcast users get 2GB of transfer
monthly) or can be purchased for under $10/month depending on speed and
bandwidth requirements.
In my opinion this would be the best option since it wouldn't require
any of us to provide the server space or bandwidth for the file
transfers.

Alt.binary arent the most popular NG among the administrators due to the
high bandwidthdemand on the servers, therefore many doesn't cary that
groups.

2. IRC - Internet Relay Chat.
A lot of groups who release bootleg videos set up chat channels where
individuals' personal computers host the files and provide the
bandwidth for the transfers. This has the advantage of allowing the
files to be hosted by a larger number of people and dividing up the
server load.
**I set up an irc channel on the server: "irc.rizon.net" called
"#ski-vids" which I'm trying to set up a fileserver of the races I
still have downloaded**
See http://divxstation.com/comm/thread.asp?i=14&t=9935&r=12 for a brief
instruction on using IRC.

You still got to have a server with the diskcapacity and a large cable
to the net to do that.

3. Bittorrent or the like.
Bad idea, this method is very slow and would require a large number of
people to be permanently on-line and uploading the videos. In my
opinion this is the worst of the three options.

With this method you split the server and the bandwidth problems over
the community. The biggest problem here is the more complex system to
understand for the user.

Janne G
Old June 21st 05, 06:23 PM
BiSer

Hello!
Thanks for your video, I almost download all. However, you have removed
section of Olympic biathlon 2002. I was not downloading it. If it is
possible to return, make it.

There are copies (about 3 GB) on your ftp.
ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub2/2001-2002/Olympic/
and
ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub2/Olympic/

Thank you,
Sergey (Rus)

Old July 14th 05, 03:17 PM
ViktoriaK ViktoriaK is offline
Junior Member

Well, there is another alternative.
There is a site www.yousendit.com - you can upload up to 2GB for free. Minus - it takes hours to upload big files, plus - you don't have to be on-line after uploading.
Old July 15th 05, 05:30 AM
ViktoriaK ViktoriaK is offline
Junior Member

And another one - to creat a hub.
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
Old July 15th 05, 09:24 AM
Janne G

ViktoriaK wrote in message ...
Well, there is another alternative.
There is a site www.yousendit.com - you can upload up to 2GB for free.
Minus - it takes hours to upload big files, plus - you don't have to be
on-line after uploading.

What will i do with the other 78gig of video then?

Janne G
Old July 16th 05, 07:43 AM
ViktoriaK ViktoriaK is offline
Junior Member

I think that yousendit.com is actual for the new races, not for the old ones.
I still think that torrent is not a bad idea - I download football matches regularly. And what about hub creation?