Mpeg Races hit the end of the road?

Old June 4th 05, 02:17 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, sknyski wrote:

Yeah, the server could be way under $1,000 (p4, 2 * 200gb HDD, 1gb ram,
linux) but it's the bandwidth that would kill you.

I'd still like to hear Janne tell us how much b/w he figures it's
been taking.

The subscription idea is a good one, but I bet you'd see interest dry
up if there was money involved. Plus, Eurosport might not be too happy
about someone charging others to view pirated copies of their shows.

Basically, someone has to do it for free, or it won't work. RIP.

Heck, I'd be happy to pay Eurosport a reasonable amount to get access
to this stuff. They could put it on their website and save Janne all
the work, plus get paid for access to it.

-Mitch

Old June 5th 05, 08:31 PM
Leland

Janne G wrote:
Hi all

At last the computer department have got to me with a request of closing
the web server down, so it seams to be the end of the road for the video
webserver in this form at least.
At least it don't happend in the middle of the season at least...

Sorry to inform you all about this.

Janne G

Janne,
I'm so sorry to hear this news, even though in recent years, I could
only download one race a season on very slow dial-up. Thank you so
very much for all of your work in providing the videos. We appreciated
it very much in the United States, where cross country skiing is
considered a fringe sport.

Leland Yee

Old June 6th 05, 03:51 AM
Nathan Schultz

I think we would all be happy to chip in to continue this great
resource, but there is that sticky issue of legality?

Nathan
www.nsavage.com

"xsergei" wrote in message
The problem is, you can only take advantage of this cheapness if you
already own a co-located server. Most ISP-owned servers have 100 - 200 GB
drives. Having spent about 10 minutes looking, I see that one could rent a
dedicated server with 120 GB disk and 1000 GB monthly bandwidth for $150 a
month. That's $1800 a year.

Is there enough interest to subsidize this kind of investment? I do think
there could be 100 potential subscribers out there at $18 a year (or even
50 at $36 a year, though that's starting to get expensive), but with that
many users, we might start running into the 1000 GB monthly limit. For
comparison, 200 GB disk and 2000 GB bandwidth per month from the same
provider is $3000 a year.

Another option is to build out a server ourselves, which could run about
$1000 - $1500 for what we need (single proc, 250 gb disk, fairly cheap
processor) and then co-locate it with some provider. I don't know what the
monthly fees run for co-location yet.

-Sergei

"sknyski" wrote in message
oups.com...
I imagine that the storage itself is pretty cheap (I just bought a
200gb drive at fry's for under $100) but the pipe that you would need
would break you financially.....

bt

Old June 6th 05, 01:45 PM

My son, the network engineer, tells me that this could all be set up for
rather less than we've been discussing. One clear option would be to offer
the current season's races on line, and the archives for the cost of a CD
and shipping. I think it can be done.
As for the legalities . . . It really depends on Eurosport's (or whoever
the original content comes from) attitude, and the laws in place in the
country in which the server is located. If we get further along this road,
I will ask our IP professor about that.
One other option, of course, is to ask the content providor to provide
the service for a modest fee (overly optomistic?).
Given Gene's latest note, however, I think we should wait a little while
to see what's up.
-Ken

http://mail2web.com/ .

Old June 6th 05, 03:19 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

" wrote:

Given Gene's latest note, however, I think we should wait a little while
to see what's up.
-Ken

Yes. There are some things that a knowledgeable source suggests would
not be adroit to say over his connection for the time being.

Gene
Old June 6th 05, 03:33 PM
sknyski

Wow! Mystery....intrigue.....

I was kinda disappointed after Deep Throat was revealed, but this has
taken its place!

:-)

bt

Old June 8th 05, 08:43 PM
Alex

Janne

Thanks for all your hard work - I will miss especially the technique
clips.

Alex

Old June 11th 05, 01:35 AM
32 degrees

DANG IT !

How'd I miss this thread !!

I've downloaded countless hours of ski video from Janne and man, its
awesome, thanks Janne !!
Here in the good old USA bull riding wins as a winter sport on OLN
geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz

I'd pay for the service too - well worth it, and drop stupid OLN.

but sounds like Gene knows something so we all just better wait and see for
now.....

until then, happy rollerskiing....
JK