Poles : Rossignol World Cup, who knows more?

Old July 28th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Default Poles : Rossignol World Cup, who knows more?

Rossignol XC Fibre World Cup

Hi all,

I was offered these poles by a shop I contacted. They were not on the site
before I inquired about poles.

Seems to be their top model of 4 carbon ones, above 4 alu ones. This is the
first time I realize Rossignol HAS poles, and I was aware of the couple
Fischer and Atomic ones.

90% carbon (some websites say 100%)
16mm diameter
55g/meter
320g/pair at 175cm according to one site (I need 175cm)
Natural cork grips
Racing baskets

I have difficulty finding feedback on these poles. All I find is a couple
shops that offered them ($199 discounted to $149 in the US, ?59-100 in
Europe). Especially the European price seems competitive, if they're not
total rubbish.
If I get some positive feedback, I might get 2 pairs, one for snow, one for
street/spare.

It seems from the limited Google hits like Rossignol tried offering poles,
didn't sell too well, and then dumped the poles on the market for me to find
them cheap?

Only poles I now own are old swix alulites (or whatever), not light. I
rented cheap alu 170cm ones in Austria, wasn't too fond of those. Looking
forward to some softer grips.

Any feedback on these or other race poles would be greatly appreciated.
- which more common poles to compare these to, for quality/performance?
- any known issues with these particular poles?

Side question : I wear shoe glove size 12, do your big handed guys prep your
poles specially for that?

Thanks a lot,

Old July 28th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 01:20:27 +0200, "Jan Gerrit Klok"
wrote:

Rossignol XC Fibre World Cup

Hi all,

I was offered these poles by a shop I contacted. They were not on the site
before I inquired about poles.

Seems to be their top model of 4 carbon ones, above 4 alu ones. This is the
first time I realize Rossignol HAS poles, and I was aware of the couple
Fischer and Atomic ones.

90% carbon (some websites say 100%)
16mm diameter
55g/meter
320g/pair at 175cm according to one site (I need 175cm)
Natural cork grips
Racing baskets

I'm not familiar with these poles, but for snow a big guy like you
shouldn't use poles less than 100%CF. For road use, maybe they're OK.
--
JT
****************************
Old July 29th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

"John Forrest Tomlinson" schreef in bericht
wrote:

I'm not familiar with these poles, but for snow a big guy like you
shouldn't use poles less than 100%CF. For road use, maybe they're OK.

Thanks John,
But can't 100% carbon poles be made way too light also?
And how did big guys get around before 100% carbon poles were made?

I'm not sure I would load the poles as much as the other 185-190lb guy. I've
never used my skinny arms for sports before (and I'm 30 now), likely they'll
remain my weak point forever. And I'm not THAT much heavier than some World
Cup racers, what do they use?
I'l also need nicer road poles at some time, so I might take the gamble.

Old July 31st 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

What matters is stiffness. The stiffer the better. Can you actually go
to the place and try out the poles and compare them side-by-side with
top of the line Swix and Exels? You just plant the poles on the floor
and lean on them. You can see by how much the shaft deflects from the
vertcal axis. Cheap poles (like Swix Carbon, Exel Integra) can deflect
by as much as an inch or even more. Such poles can break, and they are
too much of an energy waste anyway. Stars don't deflect by more than a
cm or a half, at least with my 80 kilos. I would not use anything less
than a top or second-from-the top pole in any product line. You can
get a good deal on 2nd or 3d year Swix Stars or (unused). Poles don't
age. I think Exel is worse than Swix b/c spare parts are hard to get.

Old August 1st 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Thanks!

At well under ?70 shipped, I could no longer hold it, and ordered the poles
up, in 172.5cm. My instructor said the 170's fit me well, but I kept missing
the feel of the 175's I left at home (despite only having used them on
really tall wheels). According to some tables, 172.5 is still a tad short
for my 194cm body height.
If these Rossignols are too flexy for me, hopefully I shorten them to give
to a lady friend, or just sell them as-is. With some luck, the straps are
really goods, and I had a decent deal on those and the baskets alone.

Some shops list the Rossignol World Cups as $199 MSRP, and still charge $149
for them. Others ask ?100, reduced from ?115. "My" shop asks ?59. Seems it's
whatever people give for them, like they were dumped on the market by
Rossignol themselves.
The shop selling them cheapest was a day's travel away. Second cheapest
(?+40) a bit further still. In my own country, XC gear is only sold at or
above MSRP, and without muh of a choice. Often very outdated also. Since I
lack knowledge to back up my investments, I'm going for deals right now.
When I know what I want and need, I'll have professionals select or even
craft my poles, maybe even skis. So please don't mistake me for someone just
into it for the cheap (I am Dutch though).

Europe is a great place to be now, especially is your salary is paid in
Euro's. The top end Salomon boots are SO cheap now. I thought the ?179 I
paid for RS Carbons was awesome last winter, but the shop where I just
ordered some discounted skis has them for ?159. S-Labs for ?189. Makes
cycling products looks so overrated and overpriced.

Happy summer season,

schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old August 8th 07, 07:43 AM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

OK, I got the poles in. Some of the finish was scraped off, likely by bad storage or manufacturing. They seem nicely made, and way light. 160+163g. I consider that light, at least.

I seem to remember the various Star poles all have different stiffness figures. Is the cheapest the stiffest, and the most expensive the lightest/flexiest?

Poles come with M/L straps. I do wear XXL gloves, though MTB summer gloves seemed to suffice last winter which was just about freezing, with many tumblings in soft snow.

I do manage to flex the poles under my weight, but have never experienced poles that did not flex. Are there "heavy duty" carbon poles out there, for racing clydesdales?

For now I'm happy with the poles. Great grips and straps (though maybe not exactly Biathlon proof). I have to try them on the road some time.
Old August 8th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

the most expensive poles are the lightest and the stiffest. Stars
weigh ~50 g per meter if I am not mistaken. that's why I recommended
going to a shop and actually probing different poles.

Old August 8th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar

On Aug 8, 12:43 am, Jan Gerrit Klok
wrote:
[...]

Stiffness does not neccessarily equate to strength and durability. A
stiff pole means that it does not deflect (laterally) as much as a
more flexible pole. It does not mean that the stiffer pole has
greater resistance to breaking if it is subjected to a lateral load
while being compressed. It is also not neccessarily more resistant to
fracture initiated by nicks and cuts.

Citizen mass start races can be hard on poles. Keep in mind that even
if you have the funds to replace poles every year, you may not have a
Norwegian coach at the side of the trail ready to hand you a
replacement pole.

Edgar