Snowboarding or skiing?

Old January 4th 04, 01:27 PM
Joe Ramirez

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing and would like a little
advice from enthusiasts about which sport to choose. I'm 42 and have no
previous experience with snow sports. Also, I have no experience surfing or
skateboarding. I can ride a bike, of course, and I learned to ice skate at
age 36 and now enjoy skating quite a bit. I'm interested in taking up
boarding or skiing because (1) they look like a lot of fun, (2) I could use
more exercise in the winter, and (3) I love the mountains. (We were in
Breckenridge this summer and it occurred to me that it would be nice to
visit the place in the winter someday.) I live in Pittsburgh, so there are
no high peaks nearby, but there are a good number of decent (I suppose) ski
resorts within a short drive, the most famous probably being Seven Springs.

The person with whom I would be learning is my 14-year-old son. He is
vaguely interested but has not expressed a strong preference either way. My
wife probably won't take up either sport, though she'll probably enjoy trips
to ski lodges. I do not know anyone who snowboards. My younger brother took
up skiing in his mid-30s and seems to like it. My brother-in-law has been
skiing since his youth and is pretty good at it, I believe.

Nevertheless, I'm leaning toward snowboarding (freeride, not freestyle), for
a couple of reasons. First, it seems like a cleaner, simpler way of getting
down a mountain. No chance of legs going in opposite directions. No poles to
buy and no pole technique to worry about. Second, from what I've read it
appears that snowboarding, though perhaps a little tougher to get the hang
of in the very beginning stages, is ultimately easier to become good at.
Third, there's just something about it that appeals to me -- maybe the sense
of doing something "different."

So, here are a few questions. Thanks very much in advance for any answers or
suggestions you may have.
1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?
2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?
3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?
4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

By the way, I posted my inquiry here rather than in rec.skiing.alpine
because, contrary to the old stereotype about boarders being uncouth, this
group seems like a friendly, helpful forum, whereas r.s.a. (at least the
unmoderated version) is bedeviled by brutal flame wars.

Thanks again,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 4th 04, 02:05 PM
Jürgen Schmadlak

Joe Ramirez wrote:

1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?

I was skiing vor 15 years. Then I paused for 15 years and started
snowboarding in 2002 at the age of 36.

As a beginner it is easier to go down the trail without eating snow
by ski. After your second day on the board you will understand what
*real* muscular strain is. Skiing is easier but boarding is more
fun.

2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

Now, in 2. season, I come down the hill on my board as well as I
came down on ski 15 years ago. I will never go back to ski.

3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

No, I never seen anything like this here in *Europe*.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

Yes, you can hit the slopes with skiers. But remember, skiers are
not cool enough for a real boarder :-)

--
Satisfy your thirst for life!
NP: Limp Bizkit - Just Like This
Old January 5th 04, 03:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Jürgen Schmadlak" wrote in message
Joe Ramirez wrote:
2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride

but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

Now, in 2. season, I come down the hill on my board as well as I
came down on ski 15 years ago. I will never go back to ski.

This is probably the most important consideration for me. Starting at a
relatively late age, and with limited time to spend on the slopes, I want to
able to achieve reasonable proficiency quickly enough to be able to enjoy
it. I don't want to spend years working at something each winter without
ever becoming more than an advanced beginner or low intermediate.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 07:24 PM
Jürgen Schmadlak

Joe Ramirez wrote:

Now, in 2. season, I come down the hill on my board as well as I
came down on ski 15 years ago. I will never go back to ski.

This is probably the most important consideration for me. Starting at a
relatively late age, and with limited time to spend on the slopes, I want to
able to achieve reasonable proficiency quickly enough to be able to enjoy
it. I don't want to spend years working at something each winter without
ever becoming more than an advanced beginner or low intermediate.

But remember: for a beginner skiing is easier. To enjoy it without
*pain* in every part of the body you need more time with the board
then you need with skiers.

And most important, don't try to learn it by yourself. Take a
lesson, two or three days is a good choice.

Have a lot of fun.

--
Satisfy your thirst for life!
NP: Bob Dylan - Shelter from the Storm
Old January 6th 04, 12:57 PM
Barney

Joe Ramirez wrote:

Now, in 2. season, I come down the hill on my board as well as I
came down on ski 15 years ago. I will never go back to ski.

This is probably the most important consideration for me. Starting at a
relatively late age, and with limited time to spend on the slopes, I

want to
able to achieve reasonable proficiency quickly enough to be able to

enjoy
it. I don't want to spend years working at something each winter without
ever becoming more than an advanced beginner or low intermediate.

But remember: for a beginner skiing is easier. To enjoy it without
*pain* in every part of the body you need more time with the board
then you need with skiers.

And most important, don't try to learn it by yourself. Take a
lesson, two or three days is a good choice.

And pads can be a good idea. Bum and knee pads can go a long way in removing
some of the pain of the first few days.

Old January 13th 04, 07:05 PM
Bob

Joe Ramirez wrote:

1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs.

skiing? If not,
what's the reality?

I was skiing vor 15 years. Then I paused for 15 years and

started
snowboarding in 2002 at the age of 36.

A friend of mine just started skiing again after an unsucessful
year of trying 30 years ago. She was far better her first day
than she was 30 years ago. She is doing multiple intermediate
runs on her third day. The modern equipment, and a lifetime of
activity (and some good instruction :-) made a huge difference.

As a beginner it is easier to go down the trail without eating

snow
by ski. After your second day on the board you will understand

what
*real* muscular strain is. Skiing is easier but boarding is

more
fun.

My experience is that the first couple days of boarding,
especially the 1st, can be very painful. The falls are unexpected
and very hard. After that though, the learning curve may be
faster.

I have been boarding for about 3 years, and teaching skiing for
4. I got myself into the snowboard instructor clinics this year,
and I must say that instruction is the most important thing you
can get if you want to learn fast. My riding quality has
drastically improved from learning the right way to use the
board. My confidence has improved even more. Everything just work
better. I certainly recommend finding a good instructor.

Bob

Old February 11th 04, 12:23 PM
fred

i personally prefer snowboarding, i skied as a child but moved on to
snowboarding as soon as i could, and just think its cooler to be
honest, but have nothin against skiing at all. peace out
Old January 4th 04, 03:50 PM
Christoph

hello,

hmm, difficult question, i wonder if there is a real answer to that
question...

i am snowboarding for about 7 or 8 years now. before i was skiing, the only
i reason i stopped skiing was that my boot was too small and i had to decide
wheather to buy a new pair of skis or a snowboard. we did a snowboard course
and i decided to start with snowboarding.

i would say that today i can snowboard pretty good, and last year i had the
feeling of no further possible advancement in snowboarding. i was only going
faster and faster... and for that i wanted to try out skiing again. before
christmas i bought a new pair of skiing-boots. its awesome, skiing is as
well great fun. (i love snowboarding again as well..... there is always
possible improvement.... know i know :-))

i dont know if skiing or snowboarding is easier, for me snowboarding was
(but i knew how to ski).

another thing is that, i learnd classic skiing, there was no carving at my
time... and snowboarding was totally different at this point. things
changed... i love both, at the moment i prefer my board for
freeriding/backcountry and the skis for the slopes, but i want to learn that
i can handle the skis in backcountry aswell (so that i can enjoy it). at the
moment i dont know what carving with skis is like, because im not able to
carve them, but i have a feeling that carving is better with 1 board : )

---3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders
as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

i as well never heard something like that.

skiing and snowboarding, there is no competition.... and so there is as well
no problem to spend your holidays with a mixed group, not at all a problem.

--- I'm leaning toward snowboarding (freeride, not freestyle), for
a couple of reasons.

i have a question... what do you mean by freeride? snowboarding differs 2
different types of binding/boots... freestyle and alpine. is alpine what you
mean by freeride? i dont know the expression freeride for alpine... never
heard

so long, enjoy your winterdays

chris

Old January 5th 04, 03:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Christoph" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...

--- I'm leaning toward snowboarding (freeride, not freestyle), for
a couple of reasons.

i have a question... what do you mean by freeride? snowboarding differs 2
different types of binding/boots... freestyle and alpine. is alpine what

you
mean by freeride? i dont know the expression freeride for alpine... never
heard

Well, remember that I'm no expert, but from what I've read, "freeride" is
sort of in between freestyle and alpine, though closer to the latter. The
emphasis is on going down the slope rather than on jumping or doing tricks,
but perhaps without alpine's emphasis on speed and race-oriented equipment.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 02:30 PM
Mike T

Well, remember that I'm no expert, but from what I've read, "freeride"
is
sort of in between freestyle and alpine, though closer to the latter.

The
emphasis is on going down the slope rather than on jumping or doing

tricks,
but perhaps without alpine's emphasis on speed and race-oriented

equipment.

I believe the group FAQ http://rssfaq.org addresses the definition...

-Mike T