Calves sore after skiing means ?

Old December 30th 03, 01:54 PM
Ron N.Y

Default Calves sore after skiing means ?

I'm curious if any armchair experts have a reason as to why my calves get sore the day after a full day of aggressive skiing
? Most people I know complain of their thighs getting sore but my thighs feel fine , it's my calves that I notice get the
most sore . Does this mean I must be skiing improperly or using wrong techniques etc ? Or maybe when I'm exercising my legs
I'm just not doing enough calf exercises . I'm happy with my abilities and can ski single and double diamonds pretty well .
I'm not looking to change my entire skiing technique , just curious as to what it is i'm doing that is causing sore calves ,
or maybe this is fairly common ?
thanx for any input .
Ron

Old December 30th 03, 02:26 PM
pigo

"Ron N.Y" wrote in message
et...
I'm curious if any armchair experts have a reason as to why my calves get

sore the day after a full day of aggressive skiing
? Most people I know complain of their thighs getting sore but my thighs

feel fine , it's my calves that I notice get the
most sore . Does this mean I must be skiing improperly or using wrong

techniques etc ? Or maybe when I'm exercising my legs
I'm just not doing enough calf exercises . I'm happy with my abilities and

can ski single and double diamonds pretty well .
I'm not looking to change my entire skiing technique , just curious as to

what it is i'm doing that is causing sore calves ,
or maybe this is fairly common ?
thanx for any input .
Ron

You're leaning back. Bend your ankles.

Old December 30th 03, 02:33 PM
Alan Baker

In article ,
"Ron N.Y" wrote:

I'm curious if any armchair experts have a reason as to why my calves get
sore the day after a full day of aggressive skiing
? Most people I know complain of their thighs getting sore but my thighs feel
fine , it's my calves that I notice get the
most sore . Does this mean I must be skiing improperly or using wrong
techniques etc ? Or maybe when I'm exercising my legs
I'm just not doing enough calf exercises . I'm happy with my abilities and
can ski single and double diamonds pretty well .
I'm not looking to change my entire skiing technique , just curious as to
what it is i'm doing that is causing sore calves ,
or maybe this is fairly common ?
thanx for any input .
Ron

Do you have to "scrunch" your toes in your boots? Are you unconciously
(or conciously) tensing your feet? These can both lead to sore calves.

And it's usually because your boots have gotten packed out (or never fit
right) that you have to tense your foot to try and hold it still.

Try very conciously keeping your feet relaxed. Feel the sole spread down
into the footbed. You'll either start to slip around (so get your boots
taken care of) or you'll start making better turns with a lot less
effort from your calves.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 30th 03, 04:25 PM
sjjohnston

"Ron N.Y" wrote in message
et...
I'm curious if any armchair experts have a reason as to why my calves get

sore ...

There's a thread from last spring (or so) that has an absurd amount of
discussion inspired by the same question.

A lot depends on what you mean by "calves." One thing you might do is move
your ankle around and determine what sorts of movement use the sore muscle.

Old December 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Jiyang Chen

"pigo" wrote

You're leaning back. Bend your ankles.

I do not believe that's the problem, since his thighs do not burn. Was
learning to ski in a lot of snow last week, and was constantly leaning back
from lost of control, and the thighs are the ones burning.

Old December 31st 03, 02:08 AM
The Real Bev

Jiyang Chen wrote:

"pigo" wrote

You're leaning back. Bend your ankles.

I do not believe that's the problem, since his thighs do not burn. Was
learning to ski in a lot of snow last week, and was constantly leaning back
from lost of control, and the thighs are the ones burning.

The sides of my calves hurt because I use those muscles to keep my feet
pointing where I want them to point. Bad technique, but it's probably
better than none at all. My thighs hurt just from keeping my knees
bent.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 31st 03, 04:01 AM
houseslave

I had the same problem last year. I bought a high-end preformace boot from
Technica. The boot had a ton of forward lean built into the boot.
Therefore, my legs were not able to get into a relaxed position. After two
runs I felt like I skied ten day s straight. I sold that boot and baught a
boot with less forward lean and my problem was solved. My wife has a Rival
7 from Tecnica and she always complains about her calves being sore. I can
now ski 5 days striaght with no sorenes.

What kind fo boots do you have anyway?

Old December 31st 03, 05:15 AM
The Real Bev

houseslave wrote:

I had the same problem last year. I bought a high-end preformace boot from
Technica. The boot had a ton of forward lean built into the boot.
Therefore, my legs were not able to get into a relaxed position. After two
runs I felt like I skied ten day s straight. I sold that boot and baught a
boot with less forward lean and my problem was solved. My wife has a Rival
7 from Tecnica and she always complains about her calves being sore. I can
now ski 5 days striaght with no sorenes.

What kind fo boots do you have anyway?

If you're talking to me, I have Tecnica TNTs with nowhere near enough
forward lean, and I'm chicken to hack them up.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 31st 03, 05:51 AM

In article ,
Alan Baker writes:
Do you have to "scrunch" your toes in your boots? Are you unconciously
(or conciously) tensing your feet? These can both lead to sore calves.

I think you are on the right track here.
My sister in law just visited and came skiing with us.
That was her second day on skis, her first being 10 years ago.
The following morning her calves were so sore, she couldn't even walk.

It doesn't have to be a beginner problem either. Even some experienced
skiers tense up when they get scared and try to slow down by pushing
with the ball of the foot while leaning backward.
That's a good recipe for sore calves and has nothing to do with what boot
you wear.

bruno.
Old December 31st 03, 11:31 AM
Ron N.Y

I'm not sure how my boots rate on the performance scale but they are Salomon 1080's , see through puke yellow in color . I
took my time and I tried on quite a few brands but these felt the most comfortable so I bought them . They feel very
comfortable when skiing and I can go a whole day without problems with discomfort. I never had sore calf muscles with my old
Lange heated tch something or others but then again that was before I bought new shaped skis and started a regular exercise
routine and started skiing with more skill . I read all the replies and even did a google search . I'm not sure if it's the
boots but next time I'm going to try making them a little bit tighter as I have a tendency to leave them a little on the
loose side . I do think they have a fair amount of forward lean built into them but I try to lean forward most of the time .
I do tuck my pants inner lining into the boot which I won't do next time . I wear 1 pair of good quality synthetic socks made
for ski boots . I do think the boots are the right size and don't think it's me scrunching my toes or anything . The harder
and more aggressive I ski and the more I try to keep tight turns and keep my skis parallel and knees locked , the more sore
they get the day after. This leads me to think back when I 1st bought the boots and had a 'seasoned' pro help me pick them
out . He ****ed me off when he sort of implied that I couldn't be that good a skier with such small calf muscles . I gave
him a dirty look and thought to myself this guy is full of hot air . I was under the impression that your upper legs , quads
and thighs took the most abuse . But now that my calves hurt I am thinking about what he said and maybe he was right . Maybe
now that I am skiing faster, longer, harder with better parallel and technique it's putting more strain on my calves . I'm
going to try to work out my calves more off the slopes and see if that helps . If there was a good boot fitter on Long Island
? I would like to pay him a visit , otherwise I'm going to try strengthening the calves and see how it goes . It's not too
bad if you go for a 1 day trip up to Hunter but I'm afraid this will be a problem if I go for 2-3 days straight .
thanx
Ron