Closest/best hills near Palo Alto, CA?

Old January 2nd 04, 01:10 AM
Post to Newsgroup

Default Closest/best hills near Palo Alto, CA?

I'm trying to take up skiing. I'm a novice skier but would like to
move up by taking more lessons. What's the closest ski hill via car
to Palo Alto, CA? I've searched through sfgate.com and several of the
South Lake Tahoe resorts like kirkwood are about 3.5hrs away.
However, I have a sports coupe with rear wheel drive and have been to
some places that require snow chains or 4 wheel drive to safely drive
quickly. I've been to Sugar Bowl and it's about a 5 hr drive and
driving up that tight snow hill was rather nerve wrecking.

Are there any easy access hills that are close by for beginners?

Also, it'd be nice to find cheap overnight accommodations if
available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please post suggestions here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.
Old January 2nd 04, 08:35 PM
John H

Dodge Ridge, above Sonora, is closest.
http://www.dodgeridge.com/