TRAB vs. Fischer...

Old February 15th 05, 06:50 PM
Cloutier Jim

Default TRAB vs. Fischer...

--0-1704463120-1108496660=:55326

More specifically.....if given the choice between buying a pair of TRAB's or Fischer RCS 610 what would you choose?

I am tempted to try TRAB, but I am a little nervous.

I am 6 ft and about 210 intermediate skier (however you define intermediate)

Thanks...........Jim

Cloutier Concept & Design
13629 46th Street NE
St. Michael, MN 55376
(c) 612.386.3346
www.cc-d.com

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

--0-1704463120-1108496660=:55326

DIV
DIVMore specifically.....if given the choice between buying a pair of TRAB's or Fischer RCS 610 what would you choose?/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI am tempted to try TRAB, but I am a little nervous./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI am 6 ft and about 210 intermediate skier (however you define intermediate)/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVThanks...........Jim/DIV/DIVBRBRPFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT color=#800000STRONGCloutier Concept & DesignBR13629 46th Street NEBRSt. Michael, MN  55376/STRONG/FONT/FONT/FONTFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT color=#800000STRONGBR(c) 612.386.3346BR/STRONGA href="http://www.cc-d.com/" target=_blankSTRONGFONT color=#003399www.cc-d.com/FONT/STRONG/A/FONT/FONT/FONT/P
PFONT face=arialFONT size=1STRONGFONT color=#800000"If a man does his best, what else is there?"/FONT/STRONG BR- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)/FONT/FONT/Pp
hr size=1Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29917/*http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250"Learn more./a
--0-1704463120-1108496660=:55326--

Old February 15th 05, 08:39 PM
delltodd

You may want to consider the Trabs. Ask about a demo if you are nervous
about it. But there is nothing to be nervous about. I would say that
across the board people are very pleased with them.

I have read a lot of positive reports about the Trabs, and I love mine.
I also have RCS Skatecuts. They are quite different. I understand
that the 610's are not Skatecuts, and I am sure they are worth a demo
too. One characteristic of the Trabs seems to be amazing stability.
There are different bases. You may want to look at the orange base.

Here is an oddball anecdote for you. Last weekend at the Vasa, there
were three of us "Trab skier's" on the start line. This race was barely
able to go ahead due to marginal snow conditions. None of us were on
our Trabs, we were all on our Fischers. I can't speak for the others,
but I did not even bring my Trabs for fear of testing them, finding
them to be fast, and then the thought of gouging them on thin snow was
too much to bear, so I just skied my Fischers. There were no marks on
the bases after all. But that is how I feel about them. I want them to
last for a long time, so I treat them as my "precious pair," if that
helps you. I have always offered a ride to anyone who asks about them.
I would go so far as to say you will not be disappointed with your new
Trabs.

Old February 15th 05, 09:18 PM
delltodd

Forgot to mention, that the womens 50k skate race was won on Trabs,
with the new Dragon wax.

Old February 15th 05, 11:07 PM
Bob Richards

delltodd wrote:
Forgot to mention, that the womens 50k skate race was won on Trabs,
with the new Dragon wax.

I skied the Vasa on my Trabs. I used the black base and felt very
controlled and pretty fast on a somewhat icy course. With limited
training this year, I was very pleased with my performance. The blue
or orange might have been even faster. I also used Dragon medium and
high fluro wax. As it was, I got under 2:55, which is very good for me,
coming from Illinois with almost no hill skiing to speak of this
season.
Bob Richards

Old February 16th 05, 01:08 PM
dteed

I have a pair of Trabs and I love them. I'm down to 2 pair of skis
these days...a pair of Fischers and a pair of Trabs, and the Trabs are
my "go to" skis. As Dell mentioned, if the conditions are marginal I
won't bring my Trabs out for fear of ruining the bases. I consider the
Fischers my rock skis.

You can't go wrong with either but I like the ride of the Trabs a bit
more.

Just out of curiosity, why the 610's? They are a straight-cut, and I
was under the impression they brought back a straight-cut ski at the
request of the world cup skiers only for certain conditions.

Old February 16th 05, 06:38 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Just out of curiosity, why the 610's? They are a straight-cut, and I
was under the impression they brought back a straight-cut ski at the
request of the world cup skiers only for certain conditions.

Ahh, I hear the influence of Joe here. Glad to here you guys are
excited about your skis.

On the skatecuts vs. the 610s, I didn't think I'd care which skis I
got this season since my skatecuts have been great, but I ordered a
pair of 610s. (Jay T and others have bragged about their 610s.) My 610s
didn't get much use at first, since the grind was fairly aggressive
for our snow, but after re-grinding them, they've become my favorite
skis. They're fit more stiff than my previous skis and that gives
more stability, but they glide just like any of my other Fischers, or
in other words, excellent.

Since I'm a glider, I'm very particular about my skis gliding well,
and I've tended toward medium or soft skate skis. What I'm finding
now, is that slightly stiffer skis seem to glide just as well without
plowing, and I'm getting some extra stability. I think that's a key
with the Fischers, excellent glide without plowing and they have enough
stability for the hard snow out at places like Trollhaugen.

Trabs? Never skied them, but for comparison, my Peltonens were either
good gliders and squirely, or stable skis that plowed in anything
hinting at being soft (so skis that would be good for Sunday's Mora
race). Trying to nail both stability and glide is hard, so pick
carefully.

Old February 18th 05, 05:09 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Where did you get your 610s? I wonder because Gear West has been
advertising them as a soft track alternative, but I hear from others
such as Armen that they ski much colder/harder/stiffer.

I'd also like to understand your comment about being a glider and
preferring a soft-medium flex. Is that because the trade-off has
typically been stiff = plowing? Maybe I'm missing something, but I
would have thought that a glider would prefer somewhat stiffer skis.

BTW, in our alternations between soft and hard conditions, I've also
noticed the same trade-offs about my "perfect" Pelts this year.

Gene

Old February 19th 05, 08:58 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Gene,

If you glide test soft and stiff skis on a gentle hills, generally the
soft skis win. This doesn't mean they're faster in a race, but often
they glide better. The exception would be wet conditions (think
suction).

I think the general thought is that straight skis are better gliders
and shaped skis are more stable. So I think some of the recommendations
out there are following that idea. The 610 has a higher camber and
Fischer recommends a higher % of body wt for the 610, and I think the
end result is a more stable ski simply because it's stiffer. There
should also be a slight extra spring in the kick off (but I'm not sure
I can feel it). On the glide side, I can't tell the difference in glide
between skatecut and 610, but somebody out there has probably measured
it. So, more stable, great glide, I like it. Am I tossing my skate
cuts? Hah, no way. (Raced them today.)

Jay Wenner

Old February 20th 05, 03:06 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote:

Gene,

If you glide test soft and stiff skis on a gentle hills, generally the
soft skis win. This doesn't mean they're faster in a race, but often
they glide better. The exception would be wet conditions (think
suction).

Is this because there's more surface gliding on the snow, assuming it's
not so soft you're bottoming out?