Worried about Schladming next week

Old March 17th 04, 08:44 PM
AB

Default Worried about Schladming next week

We are off to Schladming on Sunday 21st... and a bit concerned about
the way the weather is going. I've only skied a handful of times
before (red runs at most!) so I'm not sure how badly this sort of
temperature will affect the snow. I know SChladning has 100%
snowmaking on all the slopes. Apparently they store away snow that
they made some time ago and bring it out (where do they keep it??). I
think the snow base is ok - 160cm at top, 60cm at bottom.

Anyway... can anyone reassure me?!! Or not - just give it to me
straight! Not looking for great conditions (or I wouldnt be going this
time ofyear) and expect the bottom runs to be slushy... just want to
be able to have fun for a week without regretting having gone.

thanks
Old March 18th 04, 06:33 AM
AB

think the snow base is ok - 160cm at top, 60cm at bottom.

That is plenty for Schladming. When I was there, it was only recorded
as 30cm at the base, but we never found any bare patches or rocks all
week.

You have to remember that most Austrian resorts (including Schladming)
are built on much less rocky terrain than most of the resorts in
France/Switzerland etc. Which means they don't need as much depth of
snow to be able to ski.

Thanks for this info. I was more worried about the temperature melting
the snow away really. The forecast
(http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...ng.0to3mid.php) is up to
6 deg C with only one dip down to -1 in the next couple days. This is
for 1314m altitude I think.

Is that snow base enough to stop the surface melting at those
temperatures?

Though looking at some other forecast sites, it looks like Monday may
be a lot cooler in places like Vienna and Salzburg... hope this
translates to below freezing at Schladming.
Old March 18th 04, 09:43 AM

Its well worth signing up fo rthe 1 month on snow-forcast only £3.50, but to
put your mind at ease it looks like there could be a significant downfall of
snow on tues 30-40cm.

Old March 18th 04, 10:34 AM
Simon Brown

"k" wrote in message ...
Its well worth signing up fo rthe 1 month on snow-forcast only £3.50, but

put your mind at ease it looks like there could be a significant downfall

of
snow on tues 30-40cm.

Or read the papers online - GBP 3.50 is a bit much. Anyway with the weather
the way it is the wise virgins go out skiing with the first lift.

--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old March 18th 04, 12:41 PM
Tuomas P.

Don't trust the snow-forecast, it's crap. Normally when they promise 50cm
new snow you get maybe 5 cm. They have fine graphs and charts but they don't
know anything about meteorology..

- Tuomas

Old March 18th 04, 12:56 PM
Paul Schofield

"k - I like to Top Post" wrote in message
Its well worth signing up fo rthe 1 month on snow-forcast only £3.50, but

put your mind at ease it looks like there could be a significant downfall

of
snow on tues 30-40cm.

Of course Ski Club members get the 6 day forecast for free - If you're
strapped for cash and you've got kids, sign one of them up for 15 quid - get
the forecasts all year, the magazines and they also get discounts with many
TO's and ski hire places. Discounts have more than covered my membership
(£48) let alone my son's.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old March 18th 04, 01:35 PM
Simon Brown

Can't beat a guy looking out of his window only 5 minutes from the piste. Or
someone who talks to the local wildlife ;-)

Next weeks should be OK based on the weather we are expecting (cold, snow,
etc.).
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
"Tuomas P." wrote in news:c3c8i9$8r4$1
@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi:

Don't trust the snow-forecast, it's crap.

I've found it to be very reliable.

Old March 18th 04, 01:51 PM
Ian Spare

Simon Brown wrote:
Can't beat a guy looking out of his window only 5 minutes from the piste. Or
someone who talks to the local wildlife ;-)

Yes you can, anyone using a sample size greater than one for example :-)

Ian