Blood volume?

Old February 8th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Improving longer distance?

xcwhite wrote
I believe the formula is quite simple: Training, Pacing, Refueling.

I see that Lee B. has a story in the new Silent Sports on "surviving
the Birkie and finishing in good spirits even when you're not ready"
that says this as well. Also he seems to agree with many of our
specific tips.

*Training: get in some long outings. I suspect that a 3-hr outing of
some kind of steady-moderate activity even a week before a marathon
would be helpful. Hiking with skipoles even. But ideally xc skiing.

*Pacing: go slower than you want to early on, focus on skiing relaxed,
and don't dig in on the hills.

*Refueling: eat and drink more than you think you have to, don't pass
up food-stops

Give it a try and let's hear back on if it helps you!

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com

Old February 8th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

We can talk about endurance training during the off season and building
up long ski sessions, frequent workouts, and then there's strengthen
those legs around the knee. The knee is a joint with no muscles of
it's own. It's what you do around it that counts in the short and long
runs. Hamstrings, quads (30 degree max), calves, core. 2-3x/wk during
summer; at least 1x/wk during winter. If you have access to a gym
where there is an elliptical trainer, use that. Forward for
conditioning, backwards for knees (don't overdo resistance level).
Stability balls are good for hamstrings. Lay on back, lift self up on
arms and pull ball to and away from you with feet (3x20).
One-legged squats are good, too (pull navel in, tighten glutes for
stability). Same with abs: pass ball back and forth between hands and
feet. See Doug Garfield's book for some good suggestions. Don't forget
the upper body (lats, triceps especially), but given a weak knee,
special attention needs to be paid there.

rm

Ed Miller wrote:

I do fairly well in shorter races but when I get much over an hour I
fatigue, (esp legs) and my technique suffers, and some of the people I
worked so hard to pass return the favor. Any general suggestions for
improving more in longer races?
background: fiftyish master skier, 6 years racing, regular skier for
10, gradual SLOW improvement, weak right leg from old ACL tear and
reconstruction (done in the days before they had the operation fully
worked out) Have always had good general strength but never much of an
endurance guy prior to last 10 years.
Thanks

--
Ed Miller

Old February 13th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Blood volume?

I suspect Joe is using compression gradient stockings, which are
readily available from medical supply houses and less expensive than
Skins by a factor of 4 or 5. From what I read, TEDS have a limited
directly medical role and are not meant for regular wear. Looking at the
SKINS site, they mention that their product was part of Dupont's Power
Lycra research. I wonder if there's a substantial functional difference
between the two.

Chris, from SLC area to Australia?

rm

Chris Cole wrote: