Help please: Lech or Hinterglemm for easy intimidated beginner

Old October 8th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
michaelr

Default Help please: Lech or Hinterglemm for easy intimidated beginner

Hi there,

As probably everyone else I am about to book my Christmas ski holiday.
I have had a few lessons on indoor real snow slopes and am now about to
do the real thing for the first time to which I look extremly forward.

Thing is however I am frightened of height and feel very easily
intimidaded by steep slopes. As I have become to understand there can
be quite a bit of difference between the steepness of blue slopes in
different areas. I am trying to find a place which has very flattery
wide unintimadating blue pistes but does have enough blue pistes to
entertain for 7 - 10 days.

I have heard Lech or Saalbach-Hinterglemm are very easy for beginners.
Is this true? Would these areas do it for me? Any other areas which can
be advised? Any word of advise in respect to the snow sureness?

I am not so much interested in a intense apres-ski but do like a lively
enviroment. In that aspect I fear that Lech which has no restaurants on
the piste might be a bit dull...

Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Old October 16th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
SkiHound

michaelr wrote:
[...]

Curious where you are traveling from? Christmas can be somewhat early,
conditions can be good, or not. We visited Lech 3 years ago during the
2nd week of January and had very good snow conditions. That said, I
recall watching weather sites closely through December because there
was very little snow until very late December or early January. We
visited Saalbach last year and given it's lower elevation, I would
think snow would be a bit less certain than Lech. Last year there was
very good early season snow. Saalbach certainly has some easy slopes
down near the villages but I think many of the blues might be quite
challenging for timid intermediates. I my opinion, many of the blues
were fairly hard blues, the reds were only slightly more challenging.
There were some easy blues, but you might want some guidance finding
the easier blues. Tons of intermediate terrain but I'm not sure it's
ideal for folks transitioning from the bunny slopes to the big
mountain. Apres ski is VERY lively but fun. The easiest blues in Lech
were above Oberlech and were fairly gentle. Some of the blues back
down into Lech proper were fairly steep for blues and were pretty
crowded at certain times of the day. But you can ride the tram down
from Oberlech. The terrain on the Zuers side tended to be steeper, as
I recall. Unless you're looking for heavy duty partying, I don't think
you'd be bored in Lech. Though the on mountain dining options are
somewhat limited in number, we found the ones we visited to be
excellent. I recall some spinach dumplings up on the Rufikopf (SP?)
that were outstanding. And there are lots of dining options in Lech
and Oberlech. We'd go to the ice bars in Lech for a cup of gluhwein or
two after skiing, then go clean up and have dinner, and then maybe stop
for another drink before heading home. Lech doesn't have the wild
party scene that you'd find in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, but I their are
great restaurants and sufficient bars to keep me happy. Lech is very
charming. We preferred Lech but Saalbach is an amazing ski circuit for
intermediates. If you choose one of these resorts, take lessons so
that the instructors can take you to suitable terrain. I'm not sure
either is really the ideal place for timid intermediates. You might
take a look at Schladming. I've not been but I believe they have very
extensive snowmaking (which should insure that lots of pistes are open
by Christmas) and is reputed to have lots of pretty gentle blue
terrain. It's also reputed to be a pretty charming village with enough
going on to keep people entertained.

Old October 18th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
michaelr

Thanks for your extensive answer, appreciate it! Based on your feedback
and that of others we might actually go to Courcehevel instead. It
appears to have quite some green pistes around the village to get
started.

Cheers,
Michael

Old October 19th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
SkiHound

I've always heard that Courchevel had good and extensive beginner/early
intermediate terrain. Have no first hand experience. Have a fun trip.