Trip report - Stowe, Vermont - 5 Mar 2006

Old March 6th 06, 04:57 PM

Default Trip report - Stowe, Vermont - 5 Mar 2006

I skied yesterday in Stowe, Vermont, mostly on groomed trails at the
Stowe Mountain Resort and Trapp Family Lodge trail networks, but also
on a couple of ungroomed or semigroomed trails. Conditions were very
good to (dare I say it?) excellent, the best of this winter. Almost
all trails were open and groomed. We tried out one of the little
trails (Wash Run) that the Stowe Mountain Resort had not gotten around
to grooming, and enjoyed knee-deep powder. The only little snippet of
"backcountry" that we sampled was the upper part of Old Camp, where
conditions were just fine. Other skiers' tracks evinced their
willingness to venture out on such backcountry trails as the Burt and
(especially) the (lift-served) Bruce (where alpine skiers and
snowboarders went to avoid crowds and, apparently, wind).

The recent snow was heaviest on the west side of the Green Mountains,
so, for example, the Sleepy Hollow ski area now is in great shape, as,
belatedly, is Bolton Valley. (And limited to northern Vermont, so that
I cancelled plans this weekend to join in on a backcountry ski tour on
the Catamount Trail in central Vermont. Instead, I scouted out
possible routes for bicycle trips this spring.)

Back in Stowe: We made a point to ski on the Adams Camp and Stowe Derby
trails (connecting trails between the Trapp and Stowe Mountain Resort
trail networks) which are ground zero for this year's Trail Wars
between the two cross-country centers. The Stowe Mountain Resort
cross-country resort had a pile of leaflets urging Stowe voters to vote
YES on Article 6 ("Save Adams Camp") at tomorrow's town meeting. If
approved, this would raise almost a half million dollars from the town
as seed money (roughly one-third oy the total needed) for financing the
purchase of a conservation easement on the "Adams Camp" property. The
easement would preserve the property for such current uses as skiing,
and, I can only assume, would put an end to Trapp's demand for rent
payments from Stowe Mountain Resort for the right to keep the trails in
place. Stay tuned for later developments.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

Old March 6th 06, 10:51 PM

Lew Lasher writes:

Lew I skied yesterday in Stowe, Vermont, mostly on groomed trails at the
Lew Stowe Mountain Resort and Trapp Family Lodge trail networks, but also
Lew on a couple of ungroomed or semigroomed trails. Conditions were very
Lew good to (dare I say it?) excellent, the best of this winter. Almost

I got back yesterday from three days at Trapp. It was excellent up high,
but even after the 8-12 inches on Friday night and Saturday, there were some
dirty (some with rocks!) trail junctions down low (all the new snow has been
very powdery, and where trails are exposed to the wind, the snow gets blown
away).

With all the money they charge, sending out a few folks with shovels to fill
in these few bare spots would make a lot of sense. I got a couple of minor
scratches on a brand new pair of skis.

We were very lucky to have been there for the good snow, unfortunately it
was only for my son's long weekend.

Lew all trails were open and groomed. We tried out one of the little
Lew trails (Wash Run) that the Stowe Mountain Resort had not gotten around
Lew to grooming, and enjoyed knee-deep powder. The only little snippet of
Lew "backcountry" that we sampled was the upper part of Old Camp, where
Lew conditions were just fine. Other skiers' tracks evinced their
Lew willingness to venture out on such backcountry trails as the Burt and
Lew (especially) the (lift-served) Bruce (where alpine skiers and
Lew snowboarders went to avoid crowds and, apparently, wind).

Lew The recent snow was heaviest on the west side of the Green Mountains,
Lew so, for example, the Sleepy Hollow ski area now is in great shape, as,
Lew belatedly, is Bolton Valley. (And limited to northern Vermont, so that
Lew I cancelled plans this weekend to join in on a backcountry ski tour on
Lew the Catamount Trail in central Vermont. Instead, I scouted out
Lew possible routes for bicycle trips this spring.)

Lew Back in Stowe: We made a point to ski on the Adams Camp and Stowe Derby
Lew trails (connecting trails between the Trapp and Stowe Mountain Resort
Lew trail networks) which are ground zero for this year's Trail Wars
Lew between the two cross-country centers. The Stowe Mountain Resort
Lew cross-country resort had a pile of leaflets urging Stowe voters to vote
Lew YES on Article 6 ("Save Adams Camp") at tomorrow's town meeting. If
Lew approved, this would raise almost a half million dollars from the town
Lew as seed money (roughly one-third oy the total needed) for financing the
Lew purchase of a conservation easement on the "Adams Camp" property. The
Lew easement would preserve the property for such current uses as skiing,
Lew and, I can only assume, would put an end to Trapp's demand for rent
Lew payments from Stowe Mountain Resort for the right to keep the trails in
Lew place. Stay tuned for later developments.

I had dinner on Friday night with a cousin that has lived in Stowe for 36 years.
She told me that Trapp only put out the plan for the houses and road on the Adams
land as a ploy to get the taxpayer money. She was quite peeved with the man (she
has known him for many years and is not much more of a fan than you (Mr. Lasher) are).

Hopefully this will keep that land as wilderness.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)
Old March 8th 06, 04:39 AM

The Burlington Free Press is reporting that the proposition to raise the
money towards the conservation easement on the Trapp/Adams property
passed by a comfortable margin, with over 66% of the vote.

The Stowe Land Trust now has to raise the rest of the money, but it's a
good start.

Old March 9th 06, 12:13 PM

Lew Lasher writes:

Lew The Burlington Free Press is reporting that the proposition to raise
Lew the money towards the conservation easement on the Trapp/Adams
Lew property passed by a comfortable margin, with over 66% of the vote.

Lew The Stowe Land Trust now has to raise the rest of the money, but it's
Lew a good start.

Are donations tax deductible?

Old March 9th 06, 12:52 PM

Lew The Stowe Land Trust now has to raise the rest of the money, but it's
Lew a good start.

Are donations tax deductible?

The Web site of the Stowe Land Trust says that donations are tax-deductible:

http://www.stowelandtrust.org/support/membership/

Old March 10th 06, 12:36 AM

Lew Lasher writes:

Lew The Stowe Land Trust now has to raise the rest of the money, but it's
Lew a good start.
Are donations tax deductible?

Lew The Web site of the Stowe Land Trust says that donations are tax-deductible:

Lew http://www.stowelandtrust.org/support/membership/

Sounds like a good cause, I will add it to my list.

Thanks,