Air Travel w Skis as baggage (was best ski bag?)

Old December 30th 05, 02:28 AM

Edgar quoted from the rules of an airline group and alluded to others.
Rec.skiing.nordic had a recent thread on traveling and no one suggested
that airlines' actual practices have changed this year, i.e. to
allowing only one pair of skis/boots and no wrapping of skis in
clothes. Any new info out there?

Gene

P.S. On rec.skiing.nordic, top posting is the most common practice (not
a rule), but the issue never comes up except in cross-posting
situations like this. That was in one respect my point about tenor.
Old December 30th 05, 09:36 AM

32 degrees wrote:

why not just get the solid ski tube and be safe???
are we all too cheap to do so???

A solid tube like I've seen only holds one pair of skis and not much
else. Next week's trip to Seefeld I'll have 3 pairs (tele skis for some
downhill, a pair of combi track skis plus a pair of skaters I've just
got hold of). Can you get tubes that will take a couple of pairs easily
(and if so, where)?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old December 30th 05, 02:53 PM

Bob Lee wrote:
Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Hmmm.. cross posting.

Actually, seeing as you're concerned about the netiquette of
cross-posting, you might consider that top-posting is considered to be
an undesirable practice. Cross-posting is acceptable in cases like
this, but top-posting never is.

And the OP's point was that airlines are actively discouraging putting
clothes and more than one pair of skis in a ski bag by charging extra
for people that do that.

hth,
Bob

-----
A: Top-posting
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet??

+ bindings skating skis ?

Edgar

Nettiquette and top posting;
This is something that varies a lot from group to group. It is almost
never mentioned here. Personally I don't know why some folks make a big
deal about it; it really is just what you are used to. I think
top-posting predominates because that is the default reply position in
Outlook.
For myself I find it easier to read thread replies without having to
scroll to the bottom of each page.
I bottom post mostly because that is the default for Thunderbird.
On some groups you get a riot of flame msg if you top post.

Worries about crossposting are a spinoff of spam worries. If the matter
is on topic it is quite ok.
gr

Old December 31st 05, 02:30 PM

I found one on the internet for 139.00 shipped. The newest version that
easily carries four pairs of skis.
http://cozywinters.com/sportube/

I've traveled by air with skis maybe 20 times and never had a problem.
Figured "my time is up" so I sprung for a Sportube.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 1st 06, 11:05 PM

I have a Sportube which fits 4 pairs of skis and 2 pairs of poles. It's
the bigger Sportube of the two (?) they make. The price Gary mentioned
makes sense. I use it both for air travel and for car travel (see
http://www.stanford.edu/~revyakin/00...1778_miata.jpg).

Old January 2nd 06, 12:35 AM

Drove it from NY to Lake Placid and back at 80 mph w/o any trouble.
Granted, did not see 50 mph winds on that trip. But we did get a
ticket: turns out you can't have anything sticking out behind for more
than 3 feet on a parkway (Taconic). Interstates no problem.

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
Photo of the new year. What's that rig like in the wind?

Gene

Old January 4th 06, 03:30 AM

There is a lot of talk about flying with skis. How about travelling
with the wax bench?
What do those of you that travel do?

Dave