Back Country Skiing?

Old March 14th 06, 06:53 AM

[ *@*.* ]

How about water skiing? Is *that* skiing too? If so, I guess
it could be backcountry skiing too.

Backwater skiing? Does that imply that you have to swim to and from
the shore (not hitch a ride with the boat that is to pull you), or
else it's just "skiing on the backwater"?

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old March 14th 06, 08:56 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:

It's practical and functional. Snowshoes don't allow you to glide at
all, skis do, snowshoes are more manoeuvrable.

I would not say the latter.

Eugene, either you're /sensationally/ good at kick turns in confined
spaces, or we're thinking of different things... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 14th 06, 05:28 PM

Eugene Miya wrote:
I would not say the latter.

Eugene, either you're /sensationally/ good at kick turns in confined
spaces, or we're thinking of different things... ;-)

Well, I would not use the word /sensationally/, but I find a lot of
relatively new skiers don't know it as a basic turn.
On the issue of turns in confined spaces: I can think of deadly narrow
cat tracks which have nets to prevent skier death.

Similarly, snow shoes will glide, more slide given a steep enough slope
with underlying harder layer. But I am not certain that I necessarily
want to be on that slope.

I think snowshoers rationalize far more than skiers on their insecurity.
A lot of skiers might be arrogant, but they have a big industry which
has a skilled clientele. Snowshoes are still pretty crude.
A lot of Nordic skiers are also very poorly trained as well.

Old March 16th 06, 11:10 PM

In article ,
klaus wrote:
I'm not really sure what the definition of "Backcountry Skiing" is, but
I do know, that when you are doing it, you know it.

Elder Klaus, perhaps you should consider a Supreme Court appointment.

Skid, slip, and carved turn yunlong Alpine Skiing 96 February 22nd 05 08:27 PM
History of "Master" category in cross country skiing?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 8 November 8th 04 05:36 AM
Head Lamp for Night Cross Country Skiing Bill Cotton Alpine Skiing 0 February 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Cross Country Skiing - where to go? Alan Nordic Skiing 2 November 20th 03 08:21 PM