Help! Need to buy GF cool clothes for Christmas!

Old December 8th 03, 07:52 PM
Eric

Default Help! Need to buy GF cool clothes for Christmas!

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying my GF a snowboarding jacket and trousers. She's 5'5",
uk size 10 ish.

What's the current in-thing on the slopes (and off them!).

I was looking at some of the Billabong and O'Neil jackets, what u reckon?

Also, what's the deal with trousers? Should they match the jacket or not?

Should the outfit match the boots/board?

Help!

Ta )

Eric

Old December 9th 03, 12:19 AM
Mike T

Should the outfit match the boots/board?

My personal opinion is - no. Pick an outfit you like and equipment
that offers the performance you want. If they match, it's a
coincidence. Trying to color-coordinate equipment can be a disaster, a
frequent result is someone rides equipment that's totally wrong for
them. Beginners who are decked out in the latest expensive
fashions... are generally posers.

FWIW I usually buy clothing that is a neutral color (black, gray,
silver, etc) since I keep clothing for several years and own several
boards at any given time. That way I'm not going to attract attention
to myself for being totally mismatched, or total coordinated. I try
to let my riding do the talking (although I have a long ways to go there
too!)

Mike T

Old December 9th 03, 07:49 AM
Switters

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:52:24 GMT, "Eric" allegedly
wrote:

What's the current in-thing on the slopes (and off them!).

Anything, as long as it's obvious it's snowboard clothing.

I was looking at some of the Billabong and O'Neil jackets, what u
reckon?

Either are good... what's important is that the label is clearly visible
to all.

Also, what's the deal with trousers? Should they match the jacket or
not?

Na... then you look like a saddo in a one-piece romper suit... they are
like so 80's. They should co-ordinate together though... either a
similar theme (blue/gray) or contrasting (blue/yellow).etc.

Should the outfit match the boots/board?

Boots should follow the same theme as above, but dude, you don't want to
be carrying a board around the town. Leave in the shops and spend extra
dinero on accessories.

- Dave

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old December 9th 03, 07:57 AM
TomTom

Wrong priorities Eric.

#1. Always buy for weather condtions & comfort. Aesthetics should nearly
always come second. I have a bright yellow jacket, do I like the color? Not
necessarily, but the price was right and it's perfectly comfortable and
suited to weather conditions.

#2. Who gives a **** what the "IN" thing is. Buy something that's timeless
(neutral colors as another poster stated). Doesn't matter how good you look
if you're cold/hot/uncomfortable. I have to laugh when I see people who
can't ride wearing $1000+ worth of gear that they can't even appreciate
aside from the fact they think they're the ****. I know guys who can outride
me in their 10 year old boots with the soles duck taped up on ancient boards
with baseless bindings, now that's what I call COOL.

#3. As another poster stated, "let your riding do the talking". I've been on
a board 7 seasons now, in a couple more I should be good enough to wear an
outdated vintage retro "hot suit" and while people will laugh at me when I'm
standing around, their jaws will drop when they see me ride and they'll look
like fools in their trendy gear with no riding skills. Snowboarding is all
about RIDING, not fashion.

-T

"Eric" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying my GF a snowboarding jacket and trousers. She's

5'5",
uk size 10 ish.

What's the current in-thing on the slopes (and off them!).

---

Old December 9th 03, 12:30 PM
og

Unfortunately. most of the stylish women's specific company's went under.
The gear from Quicksilver/Roxy
looked great. Burton is mostly unisex and light on style.
Try ski stuff from North Face.

Good luck!

Old December 9th 03, 01:59 PM
valerie

And now I'll give a woman's opinion

Brand isn't all that important. Billabong and O'neil are great
choices as are most you'll find in any decent snow shop.
Just make sure it's breathable/waterproof - and if your girl gets cold
make sure it's insulated. That's important to me because I can't
"suck it up" in the cold as much as my husband can (and it gets damn
cold here in Northern VT). If I'm warmer, I'm happier.

Pants don't need to match as far as colors are concerned - but they
need to look good together. You best bet is sticking with dark grey -
or black pants. They'll go with anything. Or a khaki colored pair -
they'll got with most stuff.

The jacket/pants don't really need to match the board/bindings -
performance is much more important.
That being said - it *is* kind of cool if it does. If your deciding
between two jackets and one has a hint of color that's in the board -
go with that one. not necessary by any means - but the kind of thing
a woman would notice and appreciate.

hope that helps

Valerie
Old December 9th 03, 02:05 PM
Mike T

Na... then you look like a saddo in a one-piece romper suit... they
are
like so 80's.

Sure? They're the hot item here.

In the western US, they are definitely not hot!

Old December 9th 03, 04:24 PM
Jason Watkins

jeeze guys, chill out, he just wants to buy some stuff for his gf.

It's pretty easy to figure out what the in brands are... around here
it's Burton, Bonfire, 4square, 686, etc. But, what's important is if
the gf will like it. Try to get her into a shop with you on some
pretense, then you can feel out what style of stuff she likes.
Old December 9th 03, 08:36 PM
Eric

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Next question is, where should I buy it from?

I'll start a new thread for that one.

om...

Old December 10th 03, 12:03 AM
Arvin Chang

"Eric" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying my GF a snowboarding jacket and trousers. She's 5'5",
uk size 10 ish.

Hehe... looks like you rubbed a bunch of the most "dedicated" posters
a little bit of the wrong way with the nature of your post. It's kind
of like a father going into car forum and asking what 4x4 truck he
should get his daughter when she gets her driver license - a Hummer or
a Landrover?

What's the current in-thing on the slopes (and off them!).

I held my tongue since my initial reaction was much like the others.
However that's not to say style has no place at all in buying
clothing. For a jacket I believe soft shells are all the rage now for
like the last year or two. They are more form fitting (which women
tend to prefer as baggy jacket/pants often make them indisguishable
from teenager boys), strechy - yet provide decent warmth and water
protection. Although not as good wind/water protection as a real
shell, many people prefer to wear them in good weather (i.e. no heavy
rain/snow/wind). I definitely see a lot of people sporting soft shells
off the slopes now. My friend's gf just busted out with one recently
and she skis like twice a year.

I was looking at some of the Billabong and O'Neil jackets, what u reckon?

Billabong and O'Neill are both surfing companies that make snowboard
gear. It might be more popular in Southern California, but I
personally don't prefer the gear but it looks ok (if it looks cool I
wouldn't say it was that bad). My preferred brands are Bonfire (noot
their latest stuff though), Special Weatherbrand, Dub and Burton (when
it's on sale for over 50% off).

Also, what's the deal with trousers? Should they match the jacket or not?

If you mean whether they should have common colors (like both be light
grey) I say no. That type of style is basically like a one piece
jumpsuit and went out with the either 90's(unless you Jason Brown
sporting the bright orange jumpsuit). I prefer have dark/black pants
and a light colored jacket. That way I can wear different jackets (I
have a winter and a spring jacket) with the black pants without it
looking weird. I mean this is fundamental fashion rule... dark
bottom/light top or the reverse...

Should the outfit match the boots/board?

No, because it will just drive you crazy with all the possible color
combinations. 90% of the board and boots are obscured, plus... how
many times is your gf really going to be near a snowboard while
wearing that jacket?

--Arvin