Rules of skiing

Old February 17th 06, 12:31 PM

Default Rules of skiing

If the lead skier knows you want to pass but won't let you pass, it
that a violation of the rules of skiing? or maybe, would they get DQ'ed
from a citizen race if you have witnesses?

-So if you repeatedly try to pass on either side, and the front person
keeps moving to that side, would they get disqualified?
-If you say "on your left" and they go left and you break their pole
(purposely), how is that spelled out in the rules? ...or maybe you step
on their ski and they go down?

Just curious,

Jay Wenner

Old February 17th 06, 03:27 PM

Depends on the type of race. In an interval start race, if someone
tracks you, you have to get out of the way. I believe that a mass
start is different. I would think that pretty much anything goes,
short of purposeful physical contact. Anyway, if they are going slow,
you should be able to double pole around them.

Personally, if follower was faster then me, (I think natron had a good
example at nationals) I would have no problems getting out of the way.
On the other hand, if the competitor had been drafting for a while,
then the drafter already has an advantage and draftee can only use the
position to their advantage.

I am sure that there is a FIS set of rules. Does anybody know where we
could find them?

I believe that the answer to your questions is:
No
No

No
If the follower has the position and enough energy to break the leaders
poles, they have more than enough to attack and pass.
It is much more difficult for the follower to take down the leader,
typically the follower goes down too. In that case, the rules for
rugby begin to take effect.

Old February 17th 06, 03:57 PM

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote in message
ups.com...
If the lead skier knows you want to pass but won't let you pass, it
that a violation of the rules of skiing? or maybe, would they get DQ'ed
from a citizen race if you have witnesses?

The answers, it seems to me, are yes and yes. The rules make it very clear
that you move on the first request, the exception is in sprints and marked
zones. Longer races, whether mass start or individual start use the same
protocol. Below is the FIS rule.

Of course, the quality of officiating and organization can affect how the
rule might be enforced. Most national federations, I think, would have this
rule in their book with the exact same wording.

One should not say "On your left". Just scream, "Track!" If you are racing
among friends then adding "please" is always appreciated.

Blake

340.1.3
A competitor who is overtaken must give way on the first demand except in
sprint competitions and in marked zones (see 340.1.4). This applies in
classical technique courses even when there are two tracks and in free
technique courses when the skier being overtaken may have to restrict his
skating action. When overtaking, competitors must not obstruct each other.

Old February 17th 06, 05:01 PM

Looks like I stand corrected.
2 questions:

The definition of "overtaken" is, "To pass after catching up with"
If you are following the leader for an extended period, you are not
catching up to them. So does the rule still apply?

Where are the marked zones on courses? Near the end?

Byrnes-out.

Old February 20th 06, 03:11 AM

"WasGitchi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looks like I stand corrected.
2 questions:

The definition of "overtaken" is, "To pass after catching up with"
If you are following the leader for an extended period, you are not
catching up to them. So does the rule still apply?

Where are the marked zones on courses? Near the end?

Byrnes-out.

I think that you move when requested. If you can't stay ahead of the person
you pass under this scenario, then that skier should call for the track and
pass you back. "Turnabout is fair play."

The marked zones are usually relay exchange zones and the finish area where
it is typically 100m with 2 or 3 distinct lanes marked out. One is not
supposed to leave the chosen lane and you cannot call for the track, or you
can, but you'll be ignored. Although I noticed that Zorzi crossed a lane or
two while picking up the Italian flag in today's relay--and he didn't even
get DQ'ed!

Blake