Winter Olympics Eletist?

Old February 13th 06, 11:16 PM

Take a look at Olympic financing and sponsorship, and also what
countries commonly do to make room for Olympic facilities and
atmosphere. Of course, there are a lot of wasted Olympic investments,
especially in winter sports.

Gene

wrote:

jgs wrote:
And while we were fighting amongst ourselves......
Korea and took gold and sliver in Short track. China always has
contenders if not medalists in figure Skating and I believe I
recently saw a Chinese Nordic racer win a world cup event. The
Winter Games are filled with non-euro/amer winners and athletes.
Maybe things are not so simple.

And in MHO;
"The European and North American Expensive Sports Festival."
This line should read; "The European and North American Corporate
Sponsorship and Media Sports Festival."

On a personal level the Winter Games about sports and competition -
no doubt about it. On a wider level it is about products and
selling. Why else would half pipe snowboarding take up so much air
time? Now there is a sport that makes curling look like gripping
drama (personal opinion).

/john

I wouldn't say the Games are about products and selling. The
commercial TV coverage may be, but not the games themselves. They
have a fair amount of commercial content, but that is more of an
enabler, than the main point.

That commercial TV choses to air snow-board over curling is
understandable. But I guess it depends on te market. Here in Norway,
70% of the coverage at least is XC. I have to tune in to Eurosport to
get any figure skating (after I have watched all the XC, and the XC
recaps!)

Joseph