Buying a board for a gift

Old December 13th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mark

Default Buying a board for a gift

I would like to buy a snowboard package for a gift to my daughter. She
is new to the sport and has taken a few lessons. She has been boarding
about 8-10 times and seems to be a very fast learner. She isn't a big
risk taker and will undoubtedly not be doing many tricks beyond
grinding. She is sixteen years old, 5' 7" 125 lbs. Her women shoe
size is 10-11 she will probably grow a couple more inches. I don't
want to spend a ton of money, but will buy her good equipment. I'm
fortunate because she doesn't require the "in stuff, or latest stuff").
My concern is weather to buy a mens setup or a women setup because of
her shoe size. Can you mix women boards with mens bindings and boots?
She has told me that step in binding are the kind to get. Anyone with
any thoughts and specific recommendations on what size and what type of
equipment I might want to consider is greatly appreciated.

Old December 13th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Mark wrote:
[...]

You should check out the Snowboard FAQ for basic info:
http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ

True step-in bindings -- the kind that require matching metal
connectors in the boots -- are essentially passe for softboot
snowboarding. Resorts use them for rental products, but it's almost
impossible to find new ones available for sale. Most or all
manufacturers have discontinued making them. So, unless you want to buy
used step-in bindings and boots on eBay, stick with strap bindings, or
Flows if you want a little extra convenience.

Joe Ramirez

Old December 13th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Mark wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark, there is nothing automatically wrong with mixing a women's
board with men's bindings and boot so long as the bindings/boot fit the
board as the board might be too narrow.

For boots I would still recommend women's boots as women tend to have
slimmer calf muscles than men and many boot manufacturers take this
into account. Still if a men's boot fits her better, don't be afraid to
buy it. I EMPHASIZE the importance of getting a proper fitting boot.

The main differences in a woman's snowboard is that it is narrower to
accommodate smaller foot sizes and it is softer to accommodate the
muscle-to-weight ratio that is generally true for most women (also the
topsheets are different). Since your daughter is tall and fit (I was
roughly 5' 7" 125 lbs at 18) I see not reason why she should not go
with a men's board if it fits her best (Venture Snowboards covers this
point as well - http://tinyurl.com/y88q94). At her height and weight I
would recommend a 150-152 cm board with at least a 24.5 cm waist.

For bindings - whatever boot you get, pick a binding that fits that
boot well (easy to get into the binding and the straps fit the boot
well).

Good luck

Old December 14th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jrobb

Your daughter is lucky to have a Dad like you willing to take the time
to research the gift instead of getting a pile of nothing useful like
many others before you.

Good points brought up and I will second lonerider's take on the boots.
I would not buy them for her yet...take her with you so she can try
them on. Get whatever fits best regardless if it's a guy's freestyle
boot, or a women's freeride boot...fit is paramount. Women have a
lower set (lower on the leg) calf muscle so their boots have this
consideration built in...also the binding high backs (the part that
extends up the rear of the boot to cradle your calf area) are cut lower
for women's bindings. But again, if she goes women's boots, I'd stay
with women's bindings if you are going to get her those without her
knowing...more or less. If you just went with mens bindings and she
gets a women's boot there is the possibility of a mismatch.

Boards, you want a board that's not a beginner board since she's past
that stage. If possible let her in on the whole thing and demo some if
she's picky. If she's not picky, a few things to consider for her:

Where will you get the board from? Internet purchase = any possible
board and the choices are endless. If you have a local shop you care
to support, what brands do they carry?

Specs: 150-154 would be a good range
-Sidecut (curve of board's hourglass shape) of 7.5 to 8.5 unless she
likes to just go fast and stay out of the park in that case 8.5+ If
she likes to go into the park, think a lower sidecut like 7-7.8m The
lower the sidecut the sharper the turns will be but more unstable the
faster you go. Think higher number means stability at speed...bigger
is better .

Freeride or All mtn board would most likely fit the bill.

Graphics can't help you there but you know what she likes so...

To narrow this down a bit, where do you plan to purchase it, and what
brands do they carry?

Old December 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

From a retailer's perspective. I strongly suggest getting a little
input from the giftee...this sport, especially at that age, can be very
peer driven. Real easy (not even considering the spec side) to buy the
"wrong" thing.

I suggest to parents wishing to surprise their kids w/ new boarding
gear - to stoll them thru a shop on some other pretense, maybe you need
a new pair of gloves, goggles, etc....Let them wander and, try to be
aware of what they may be interested in. Clue the store staff as to
your plan. Then come back later to make your purchase. Most of the
time this works fairly well. Might want to check out return/exchange
policy no matter where you make the purchase.

Old December 14th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Dizzyblonde

I am 100 % with 56fish. I would get your daughter's input as to what brand
of board she wants (peer driven-they are all for the most part good
products) and buy a gift cert. to a local board shop that carries that line.
(Be prepared to shell out a good chunk of change, at least $500 or $600 for
a decent pair of boots, bindings, and board.) There she can select and be
fitted by a pro. There is nothing worse to the learning curve than bad
equiptment or sore feet!
"56fish" wrote in message
ps.com...
From a retailer's perspective. I strongly suggest getting a little