How Should the U S Fix Their Nordic Ski Team?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 21st 06, 05:31 PM

What we need is solidarity and a central organization. Without these we
don't get a lance or the popular culture.

The current American ski culture must focus on common goals; such as
becoming great ski nation and the proliferation of skiing in our
country.

Right now there are no obvious paths to greatness. There are high
school programs, college programs and some scattered training groups.
Few of these organizations work together; some are antagonistic toward
each other. Even less have a long-term plan. A respected central
organization will bring these disjoined parts into a path to greatness.
I believe that the building of this central organization has commenced
in the shape of Team Today. I think that this organization is
currently in it's youth and my not be the final central origination
that brings everything together. We need to support them nonetheless.
Definitely with money, but just an important is encouragement.

Now, as you enter the end of the "ski year," it is time to make some
new years resolutions. Rather than focus on the difficulties of our
Olympians. Ask yourself, "what can I do help out?" How can you help
your local organizations? Is there a youth ski league that you can
volunteer for? Races in the area that need organizational help? High
schools looking for more coaches? Can you get the people around you
excited and involved in skiing?