warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove?

Old December 10th 04, 07:23 PM
Mary Malmros

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

On 2004-12-09, Mary Malmros penned:

I can pretty much guarantee that my feet have a stranger shape than yours --
and it's caused by injuries that left fairly sensitive scar stuff behind
them. I've got a bulge on top of my right foot that looks like I've got a
large shooter marble embedded in my second metatarsal. What it actually is,
is a huge wad of scar tissue from a non-union fracture. I've sprained both
insteps rather badly, broken toes, you name it. The solution was a good
bootfitter who paid attention to all of the above.

Wow. That does give me hope =) Um, so, where did you go to get your boots?

I went to Foothills Ski and Bike in Evergreen, CO
(http://foothillsskiandbike.com/), where the owner, John Rathbone, spent
a lot of time helping me pick out some boots and building me some custom
footbeds. I can't recommend this store enough. Even though I live at
the other end of the continent, I've bought three pairs of skis here!

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee wrote:

Can you beat these?
http://www.dalebootusa.com/images/feet_small.gif

Thankfully, not yet. What was it, frostbite? Immersion foot?

Old December 10th 04, 08:51 PM
Janet

On 2004-12-10, Janet penned:

On 2004-12-09, Janet penned:

My Hubby always had a problem with his feet getting cold until I bought him
the Hottronix boot warmers. They have a footbed that goes into the boot
which contains the warming element.

Does that mean you can't get a custom footbed if you use them?

Not sure, because the hottronix thing is very thin. My guess is you can use
both if the bootfitter knows what he's doing. I guess "footbed" was not the
best choice of words....sorry

No need to apologize. I'm just trying to arm myself with some info before I
go to the fitters.

Another boot you might want to try if you have trouble fitting your feet
into things comfortably is the Techtronix Icon. The liners have this
plug-in thing so they heat up and mold to your foot (you wear the boots
for about 10 min after they are heated up). It usually only needs to be
done once a season, but can be done a total of 300 times. They can also
be plugged in to dry (much lower power level than what's used in the
store to heat the liner to mold to your foot), and a plug-in for the car
lighter so you can warm them on the way to the slopes if you want (but
they don't stay warm all day, it's just so the boots don't get cold in
the car on the way). Both of these do not heat up enough to re-shape the
boots like in the store.

Other things can also be done to the boots to make them more custom fit,
so you're not limited to what the liner can do fit-wise.

I have these boots and really like them. I have a hard foot to fit -
wide foot, narrow heel, big calf.

They do come in mens and womens, but the performance is the same (i.e.,
the womens is not a lower-level version of the mens) The difference is
that the shell is shaped slightly different because mens and womens feet
(and lower leg) in general are different. So actually you can go with
whatever shell fits you better and get the same performance.

Don't know where you are (out west someplace?), but here in NJ I go to
Steve French at The Sports People in Far Hills NJ.

Janet

Old December 10th 04, 09:12 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-10, Janet penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Another boot you might want to try if you have trouble fitting your feet
into things comfortably is the Techtronix Icon.

[snip]

I have these boots and really like them. I have a hard foot to fit - wide
foot, narrow heel, big calf.

I thought that was the prototypical women's shape =P My feet and calves
definitely fit that description.

Don't know where you are (out west someplace?), but here in NJ I go to Steve
French at The Sports People in Far Hills NJ.

In Colorado, as the sig says =) Within a couple of hours of the eisenhower
tunnel type resorts.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 10th 04, 09:25 PM
lal_truckee

http://www.dalebootusa.com/test_letter.htm

Old December 13th 04, 03:53 AM
MH

"Janet" wrote in message
Mary Malmros wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I
need to
keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be
sweating when
I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics
throughout, that
causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially as sports
bras don't
do a great job of wicking, anyway.

Because they're cotton. Don't wear a sports bra for skiing, for
heaven's sake, it's not like you're jogging.

So what do you suggest? I find sportsbras more comfortable than regular
bras while skiing. Unfortunatly (or fortunately?) I can't go without.

Do both your hands and feet get cold easily? Have they ever turned
whitish in conditions that are really too warm for frostbite?

Best gloves I've ever owned. From LL Bean. They're goretex with a
separate fleece inner glove. (I bought a lightweight glove liner for
when fleece is not needed). Never had cold hands/fingers in them, even
in below zero temps, and the goretex keeps the wind out.

Before I got these, I always wore mittens because other gloves were not
warm enough. I never thought I had a problem with mittens and dexterity.
Of course the lock on my old ski tote was designed to be used with
mittens - they don't make locks like that anymore.

Janet

As far as sports bras go, I'll keep wearing mine. It's comfy and gives me
support. With my gloves, I bought a pair at REI and the inside wore out
during the first season of use. I replaced the liner with a better one and
my hands stay nice and warm.

Martha

Old December 13th 04, 04:14 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-13, MH penned:

As far as sports bras go, I'll keep wearing mine. It's comfy and gives me
support. With my gloves, I bought a pair at REI and the inside wore out
during the first season of use. I replaced the liner with a better one and
my hands stay nice and warm.

Martha

Yeah, you can pry my sports bra off my cold, dead body! I did check, though,
and the brand I have uses "Double Dry", a supposedly wicking bra material. It
has *never* been effective at that job, though it works great at its primary
duty, keeping me jiggle- and hence pain-free.

I do remember a friend of mine mentioning a brand that did keep her drier than
the others; I'll have to check with her. Too bad fit is such a personal
issue.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 15th 04, 04:25 AM
MH

On 2004-12-08, lal_truckee penned:

Synth drys quick - just dip it in the sink to rinse the sweat-salt out,

and
hang it over the heater - good to go, only one (maybe two, if you're

lazy)
garments needed.

Maybe I'm just girly, but I'd rather run sweaty undergarments through the

wash
before I wear them again!

I've washed plenty of stuff in the sinks of hotels. But I always use soap!
The hotel bar soaps work great.

Martha