back on the snow

Old October 10th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ[_2_]

Default back on the snow

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:57:24 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 19:22:09 GMT, jw
allegedly wrote:

used to post here about my ultimate snowboarding
fantasy of snowboarding Mount Fuji on New Year's
Day at dawn...don't ask me why, just sounded good at
the time.

Champ and I have done the sunrise thing. Overnight at the Refuge de
Cosmiques, just off l'Aguille du Midi in Chamonix, in sight of Mt Blanc.
Up at 5am, and riding as soon as it was light. Took a short hike, and
watched the sun come up in the mountains - amazing experience.

Wasn't it just. One of the best.

-jw ("over 30")

HA! But are you "under 40" :-)

Yeah. What a newbie :-)
--
Champ
Old October 10th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

jw wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

Web forums have almost 100% replaced rss.

This is certainly not one of the busiest. There are others that are very
much
used. I find usenet way easier to keep up with than web forums. New
messages
are obvious in multiple newsgroups without major 'clicking'.

I've found Usenet, at least the small handful of groups I'm subscribed
to, has become more quality, not quanitity. Here, for example.

I said "rss" not usenet in general. I like the interface too, although
I sure like web fora for making sure everyone is looking at the same set
of posts and being able to edit.

Yes, I think I did say that rss appears to fall in the "quality not
quantity" category, noticealbe even in the brief time I've been back.
Lack of quantity was certainly immediately apparent, but that didn't
really bother me. Just surprised it was sooooo reduced in participation.

Anyways, I'd argue that rss is quality. It's the same half-dozen guys
who hang here more out of habit than anything. For my style of riding,
Bomberonline is the most info-filled and entertaining forum around.
There's even good softboot information there from time to time. You
know the info is good when guys like Lowell Hart and Chris Karol drop in
from time to time.

I don't know them, but I gather they are luminaries among hard-booters?

Sounds like a good source!

-jw
Old October 10th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

jw wrote:

I don't know them, but I gather they are luminaries among hard-booters?

Lowell Hart is a pioneering snowboard instructor who wrote one of the
first instructional books (The Snowboard Book). Chris Karol is a racer
and coach from back in the day. They both know their stuff, soft and hard.

Neil
Old October 11th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

jw wrote:

I don't know them, but I gather they are luminaries among hard-booters?

Lowell Hart is a pioneering snowboard instructor who wrote one of the
first instructional books (The Snowboard Book). Chris Karol is a racer
and coach from back in the day. They both know their stuff, soft and hard.

Thanks, I know a lot about "soft-boot" history. I wrote up a synopsis
for the old online snowboard column I used to write for the AMI ski
site. Of course Jack Burton Carpenter's history, but also Barfoot, Flite
and the Derrah Bros. from Newport RI, right next door to me, others,
including back to Sherman Plopkin, or whatever his name was, inventor of
the first board with the string attached to hold on to (oh yeah...the
Snurfer). I know more names, and product history, but it's 6am and I
need another cup of coffee. Will try to dig it out and post, if anyone
is interested.

Anyway, hadn't heard of them, so thought they might be more "hard boot"
oriented. I have nothing against that discipline, and love to see
high-speed, laid out carves, I've just never tried it. I can carve
pretty well and lay them out on my standard shape directional boards and
soft boots, but the hard booters will still put me, and any other, soft
boot carver, to shame, when it comes to carving.

-jw
Old October 11th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

allegedly wrote:

used to post here about my ultimate snowboarding
fantasy of snowboarding Mount Fuji on New Year's
Day at dawn...don't ask me why, just sounded good at
the time.

Champ and I have done the sunrise thing. Overnight at the Refuge de
Cosmiques, just off l'Aguille du Midi in Chamonix, in sight of Mt Blanc.
Up at 5am, and riding as soon as it was light. Took a short hike, and
watched the sun come up in the mountains - amazing experience.

Nice! I'm envious, and I'll get over there someday soon. My sister in
law's family is British and lives in Bristol, England. She's invited me
over...I'll surf Cornwall, etc. and get down to the Alps as well.

I used to get a ride with board on back of snowmobile up to the top of
Mount Snow (not a huge mountain, even for New England, but quite
serviceable) at dawn every morning when I worked there one winter. Saw
the most unbelievable sunrises of my life almost every day. Had to get
to work, but alwasy enjoyed. Didn't really get to take runs til later in
the day. I dawn patrol surfing quite a lot though!

btw, New England has some decent mtns. with, some with more 2,000 ft
(600meter?) vertical. It ain't the Rockies and not even close to the
Alps, but it can be a lot of fun. For example, see a couple of Jay Peak
VT pix he

http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/photos/snow.html

There's also a huuuuge bowl on Mount Washington, N.H., no lifts,
hardcare hike and a big party every spring:

http://www.mountwashington.org/photos/galleries/?g=20

It's a couple hour hike just to get to the bottom of the bowl.

You see, including the great waves we can get, New England ain't so bad!

http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/photos/photos.html

-jw ("over 30")

HA! But are you "under 40" :-)

I'm not sure....I seem to have lost track around 32 or 33.

OK, my work is done here for now...must get to "real" work. UGH!!!

-jw
Old October 11th 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

allegedly wrote:

used to post here about my ultimate snowboarding
fantasy of snowboarding Mount Fuji on New Year's
Day at dawn...don't ask me why, just sounded good at
the time.

Champ and I have done the sunrise thing. Overnight at the Refuge de
Cosmiques, just off l'Aguille du Midi in Chamonix, in sight of Mt Blanc.
Up at 5am, and riding as soon as it was light. Took a short hike, and
watched the sun come up in the mountains - amazing experience.

Wasn't it just. One of the best.

-jw ("over 30")

HA! But are you "under 40" :-)

Yeah. What a newbie :-)

OK, now you're gettin personal old-timer! lol.

-jw
Old October 11th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
jw wrote:

site. Of course Jack Burton Carpenter's history, but also Barfoot, Flite

Argh, that's Jake Burton Carpenter, of course. Damn typos....

Later,

-jw
Old October 11th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:38:14 GMT, jw
allegedly wrote:

Nice! I'm envious, and I'll get over there someday soon. My sister in
law's family is British and lives in Bristol, England. She's invited

That's only a couple of hours from where I am.

me over...I'll surf Cornwall, etc.

And that's even closer, it's my choice of local spots. If you come over,
let me know and I'll show you some nice breaks (but then have to kill you
obviously, being an outsider :-)

and get down to the Alps as well.

Not quite as simple as jumping in the car for a few hours. Reckon on
about 15 hours of driving from Bristol. Alternatively use the airport to
fly to one of the many airports there.

in the day. I dawn patrol surfing quite a lot though!

Only way to beat the crowds... but nothing beats a sunset session,
especially on some of our classic West facing beaches.

It's a couple hour hike just to get to the bottom of the bowl.

Nice stuff.

You see, including the great waves we can get, New England ain't so
bad!

I don't doubt it. I've friends in Maine that I keep meaning to visit,
etc., but really, if I'm flying all that way, I'd rather keep going and
hit the Rockies.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old October 12th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
Switters wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:38:14 GMT, jw

Not quite as simple as jumping in the car for a few hours. Reckon on
about 15 hours of driving from Bristol. Alternatively use the airport to
fly to one of the many airports there.

Well, duh!

No wonder nobody posts here anymore...you really are elitist assholes!!!

Haha.

-jw
Old October 13th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw

allegedly wrote:

Nice! I'm envious, and I'll get over there someday soon. My sister in
law's family is British and lives in Bristol, England. She's invited

That's only a couple of hours from where I am.

me over...I'll surf Cornwall, etc.

btw, Dave, I'm sure you knew I was mostly joking with the
"elitist" thing. I can be quite the "elitist" myself...

I'll let you know if I'm headed over that way. Just spoke with
sis-in-law last evening. She's here in the States now with my
brother (just outside Boston), but they go to Bristol almost
once per year. Stoked to surf in the UK!

And that's even closer, it's my choice of local spots. If you come over,
let me know and I'll show you some nice breaks (but then have to kill you
obviously, being an outsider :-)

and get down to the Alps as well.

Not quite as simple as jumping in the car for a few hours. Reckon on
about 15 hours of driving from Bristol. Alternatively use the airport to
fly to one of the many airports there.

Yeah, appreciate the details on travel time...

in the day. I dawn patrol surfing quite a lot though!

Only way to beat the crowds... but nothing beats a sunset session,
especially on some of our classic West facing beaches.

It's a couple hour hike just to get to the bottom of the bowl.

Nice stuff.

Place is....how you say?....sick!!

You see, including the great waves we can get, New England ain't so
bad!

I don't doubt it. I've friends in Maine that I keep meaning to visit,
etc., but really, if I'm flying all that way, I'd rather keep going and
hit the Rockies.

I don't blame you one bit. Maybe you should stop over in
Maine for a little winter surf session (I know some good
spots up there), and then go snowbaord the Rockies, and
then had to Tahoe to cap it all off. You know, like a cross
continental journey...rippin the whole way. haha.

Seriously, if you ever come to New England, we can surf
in RI, Mass. (Cape Cod goes off!), N.H. and/or Maine,
snowboard Tuckerman, whatever. Mi casa es su casa
and all that. Just reciprocating...

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/

I haven't looked at this in a while, but will check it out.

Thanks for being "keeper of the flame."

Pray for snow!

-jw

Back from the 3V Pip Luscher European Ski Resorts 3 February 12th 07 09:50 AM
Back ... lal_truckee Alpine Skiing (moderated) 7 September 11th 06 12:50 PM
Snow Snow Snow...lets talk about it....now that the friggin hot humidweather is here...sucks! Chuck Snowboarding 6 July 6th 05 11:37 AM
Back lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 3 April 14th 05 09:11 PM
First day back on snow after our Big Storm: nice! Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 3 January 6th 04 10:57 AM